Multiple offer form.

Hi all,

I'm waiting for my offer to be accepted, the agent says there is another party interested, and she wants me to sign a form, 'multiple offer'.

what is this animal?

Ray,
just a quick question,have you paid a preliminary on this property
just because someone else is interested is only one stage of the negotiations.

good luck
willair.

also be careful not to get caught by agents playing you. i rue paying slightly to much for my last purchase because the agent advised me there was another party going to put in an offer, so i :eek: panic'd and put in a winning offer (with a long settlement).

after the cooling off period i found out that the other party, soon after, put in an offer on another place, that then fell thru due to their lack of finance. suddenly i realised that the agent had played me and i fell for it! i could have paid up to $20k less and still got the deal because the other "very interested party" didn't have the money anyhow.

ah well, i learnt an important lesson i needed to learn.

lizzie
all comments are my opinion only

Thanks,

No money down at this stage, maybe the other 'buyer' doesn't even exist.

Perhaps that is what the form is for.

If I don't get the property at my price, I'll just move on anyway.

cheers

Hi Ray,

Back to your original question, I would hazard a guess that the 'multiple offer' form is a declaration from yourself that you are aware that other offers are being presented along with yours, and you are happy to miss out on the home if it is sold for more than what you are offering.

Some agents use this form for two reasons: 1. It covers their arse from an angry would-be purchaser who misses out but claims to have been able to offer more, and, 2. It is helpful to show a vendor and be able to say in good faith that the offer is as good as can be gotten from each purchaser.

So, nothing overly sinister, it would seem...

Have fun, and good luck with your offer :)

James.

Guys, can somebody adivse me what this multiple offer form is ?? I've not seen or heard of it's existence before, is it a Govt form ? or REA form ?
I would have thought that if an agent had two offers they would be put in writing as contracts and presented to the seller ?? Anybody can say they have intersted parties but until you have a contract in writing in front of you well it could all be smoke and mirrors !

KI

They do exist in New Zealand, but I could not speak to how widely they are used. It is a form used in a multiple-offer situation that is given to all parties making an offer. This is my understanding of it:

Ideally, it spells out the procedure for multiple-offer situations and the rights of the parties involved. It puts everyone involved in the situation "on the same page".

It can be a good idea to get the form counter-signed by the vendor - so you have the assurance that the vendor does in fact know of your existence as a serious buyer and the likelihood is lessened that some less scrupulous agent is using it as a negotiating tool.

Hi all,
The offer I made was accepted today. However I did not see any hard evidence of another buyer exsisting.

mmm...

Took the straw man advice on board, thanks wish-ga.

Noted your panic offer lizzie, Did not want to go there. Cheers.

JamesGG, "So, nothing overly sinister, it would seem..." Maybe not overly sinister but disquieting all the same. Having allways sold privately, I carry a sense of cronic unease everytime I buy from a RE agent. I basically distrust Real Estate Agents. I would prefer to deal with the vendor.

LeapYeah - "It can be a good idea to get the form counter-signed by the vendor -" Excellent Idea, didn't think of that. Thanks.

and thank you all for your ideas.

Back