My 2c on 'Doom and Gloom'

My 2c on 'Doom and Gloom'!

Hi everyone,

I just couldn't help it! Here's part of a PM I sent to a forum member recently, thought I may as well post it here too since it was so long: :D

"...At the end of the day, the best investment vehicle for me today, and the one I know and understand the most is residential property. I read people talking about the 'cash cycle' (whatever this is!), but I'd much rather invest my money into leveraged property than cash, regardless of what your guesses are regarding the immediate future of the property market or the economy, eg. crashes or recessions. Further, people seem to persist in likening a potential property 'crash' to a sharemarket 'crash', but these are and behave completely differently.

In the long-term, and probably even the medium-term, property values of well chosen and located property surely can only go up? As I've said before, residential property to me is all about good selection, irrespective of 'market conditions', 'fundamentals', or timing the boom.

The way I see it, in the short-term, if property price increases slow down, then it just means that my next property valuation might not be much higher than the previous one. If there's a chance that my next property valuation could be even less than the previous one due to a 'crash', then it's so simple - I just won't re-value the property! That's what makes property different to shares, which are continually valued on stock exchanges. Also, the chances of a 'margin call' on your property loan would seem pretty low in Australia today.

Also, if property price increases slow down, it will also mean that I will need to be able to service my negative gearing losses for longer without getting much capital growth in the short-term. But, if you have a secure job and income stream and are not over-committed then this shouldn't be an issue.

There’s always insurances available that can protect you here too. Life insurance (in case you die :( ), total and permanent disability insurance, trauma insurance and/or income protection insurance. If these don’t apply, having at least a couple of months’ worth of your JOB income or loan interest payments in cash savings, or available in a redraw/LOC facility will help reduce the risk.

The next question is, what if interest rates rise? I think we make too big a deal of this one too. The rise in interest rates may have an impact on property values, but as I mentioned in the previous paragraphs, this shouldn't concern you too much. Furthermore, it could present good buying opportunities for you.

Following on from this, what about the impact of interest rates on your serviceability? Well, if you had $1 million of property loans, and there was all of a sudden a whopping 2% interest rate rise (and remember, the RBA has been increasing the benchmark rate at just 0.25% at one time), what does this mean? This is an extra $20,000 in interest payments p/a. If this unlikely scenario were to eventuate, and you didn't have the cash to pay it then it’s harder, but those who’ve already been investing in property for a few years should have some equity sitting in a redraw/LOC facility to cover this amount anyway, certainly for the short term.

I think the people who should be most concerned about a 'property crash' or a 'credit crunch' are those people who today, as part of their active investment strategy, are:

(1) Capitalising interest on IP loans
(2) Living off equity

If you're not doing this today, and have reasonable cash buffers and conservative LVR's, then in the short-term I think you can ignore a lot of the 'noise' you're hearing on the forum here, and in the media.

Another point is people commenting on overseas countries, economies and property markets eg. Japan and the US, and then saying that if it happened there, it could possibly happen in Australia too. I think that's a bit ridiculous. The nature of residential property as an investment vehicle in each of these countries are completely different, and this comparison is worthless.

Residential property is LOCAL, not GLOBAL! It's about searching for properties on realestate.com.au, domain.com.au or in your local paper and going out and physically seeing properties and comparing them to each other to get your estimate of their value. It's about finding the best property you can afford to buy today in the best suburb and the best location, without over-committing yourself with one purchase. It's about talking with agents, vendors, brokers, banks, property manager etc...and arguing and negotiating for the price, terms and conditions you want and securing the best deal for yourself.

This is what I've done all year, and all the short-term 'noise' that's been going on in the background has not made ANY difference. If I had listened to all this noise, I would have lost enormous amounts of equity this year!

Ignore the short-term ‘noise’ and focus on building wealth with a medium and long-term perspective. Residential property investment is really not that complicated...:) "

GSJ

Last edited:
Boring

The main draw back with this is, it's boring, slow and boring.

Ignore the fact that it works, it's easy, not too stressful.

You have to keep working until your 50 or so.

I don't think a very large percentage of the population will follow your lead GSJ.

Cheers
quoll

Another point is people commenting on overseas countries, economies and property markets eg. Japan and the US, and then saying that if it happened there, it could possibly happen in Australia too. I think that's a bit ridiculous. The nature of residential property as an investment vehicle in each of these countries are completely different, and this comparison is worthless.
Hi - I am wondering why you think Japan, USA, UK etc are different to Australia? You say they are completely different and the comparison is worthless. They are pretty strong words so wondering what your rational is?

The way I see it, Japan, USA, the UK, and Australia have a capitalist market economy with private ownership of property that can be freely traded. There are some local differences but completely different? Not sure if this is the case. North Korea and Australia are completely different! :p

Lovely post GSJ. Well thought out and explained.
I have however exercised my right as a forumite and used my ignore button on Yieldmatters. This means that any posts made by this annoying person will not show up in any thread I visit. :D

Hi - I am wondering why you think Japan, USA, UK etc are different to Australia? You say they are completely different and the comparison is worthless. They are pretty strong words so wondering what your rational is?

The way I see it, Japan, USA, the UK, and Australia have a capitalist market economy with private ownership of property that can be freely traded. There are some local differences but completely different? Not sure if this is the case. North Korea and Australia are completely different! :p

You obviously haven't read much about Japan, if you think it's similar to the US, UK and Australia.

I recommend 'Saving the Sun'.
Alex

Lovely post GSJ. Well thought out and explained.
I have however exercised my right as a forumite and used my ignore button on Yieldmatters. This means that any posts made by this annoying person will not show up in any thread I visit. :D

Scared of an alternative point of view? A bit of logic too much for you? Only want positive reinforcement of your behaviour? Thats OK - hit ignore - it is cearly your loss (sorry - I should say it is you and your bank's loss).

You obviously haven't read much about Japan, if you think it's similar to the US, UK and Australia.

I recommend 'Saving the Sun'.
Alex

I actually know a lot more about Japan than you think ... but for the sake of the argument lets put it aside. Why is the US, UK completely different than Australia?

Scared of an alternative point of view? A bit of logic too much for you? Only want positive reinforcement of your behaviour? Thats OK - hit ignore - it is cearly your loss (sorry - I should say it is you and your bank's loss).

If you know anything about Brenda and what she's achieved, you would know it's your loss. Get the back issue of API and read her story. She's been at this and succeeded for more years than we've been adults.
Alex

I actually know a lot more about Japan than you think ... but for the sake of the argument lets put it aside. Why is the US, UK completely different than Australia?

Nah, let's talk about Japan. I've lived there, I speak the language. I've also lived in the UK but the language is difficult.
Alex

If you know anything about Brenda and what she's achieved, you would know it's your loss. Get the back issue of API and read her story. She's been at this and succeeded for more years than we've been adults.
Alex

Well if she is so clever then she can engage me and help me 'learn' why my question is so 'annoying' ... I thought is was fairly straight forward.

Well if she is so clever then she can engage me and help me 'learn' why my question is so 'annoying' ... I thought is was fairly straight forward.

Because she has no responsibility towards whether you 'learn' or not. You learn, fine. You don't, doesn't matter to her. It's not like you're paying her. Not that she needs your money, anyway.

Think Buffett 'engages' everyone person who asks him 'I think the sharemarket is overpriced, should I wait to buy'? The truly successful are secure enough to just nod sagely at upstarts like us. If you don't learn from this forum, it's your loss.

Tell me, if you think property is so expensive now, why didn't you buy when it was cheaper, say in the late 90s or 2000?
Alex

Nah, let's talk about Japan. I've lived there, I speak the language. I've also lived in the UK but the language is difficult.
Alex

で? かんけんない ですよう!

I spent some time there myself. Heading over next week infact. たのしみ!

But stop changing the topic - there was a claim made that these countries are completely different to Australia. I'm not sure that's the case. Just asking a fair question - why do we think they are different? That's all - fair question.

で? かんけんない ですよう!

I spent some time there myself. Heading over next week infact. たのしみ!

But stop changing the topic - there was a claim made that these countries are completely different to Australia. I'm not sure that's the case. Just asking a fair question - why do we think they are different? That's all - fair question.

It's KANKEINAI, not KANKENNAI. And it's not DESUYOU, it's DESHYO. Put a 'SHI' instead of a 'SU' and use a small 'yo', please.

Japan is essentially a one-party state where the bureaucrats tell the banks what to do. During the Japan crash Japanese banks, partly at the govt's behest, kept lending money to delinquent companies because they didn't want to bankrupt them and cause unemployment. Think they would do that in Australia?

You do realise I also have no responsibility to educate you, and I also have an ignore button. If I also put you on ignore nobody will be here to play with you.
Alex

Because she has no responsibility towards whether you 'learn' or not. You learn, fine. You don't, doesn't matter to her. It's not like you're paying her. Not that she needs your money, anyway.

Think Buffett 'engages' everyone person who asks him 'I think the sharemarket is overpriced, should I wait to buy'? The truly successful are secure enough to just nod sagely at upstarts like us. If you don't learn from this forum, it's your loss.

Tell me, if you think property is so expensive now, why didn't you buy when it was cheaper, say in the late 90s or 2000?
Alex

Well she can just hit ignore then. No need to declare it. I couldn't care less what she does. (p.s. I wouldn't read API if I was paid to read it.)

As for property being expensive now. I am just saying that for the moment it is very overpriced - relative to other goods, relative to incomes. The only thing supporting it is debt. So what? That's my view. Other views are fine - I'm open to other views. People react badly to it though - not sure why. I expect they are in deep and it hits a raw nerve.

Yes, you have your views. I have mine. I already own property, so if it booms I win, if it falls I also win because I can buy more. Good bye! (Ignore button)

It's KANKEINAI, not KANKENNAI. And it's not DESUYOU, it's DESHYO. Put a 'SHI' instead of a 'SU' and use a small 'yo', please.

Japan is essentially a one-party state where the bureaucrats tell the banks what to do. During the Japan crash Japanese banks, partly at the govt's behest, kept lending money to delinquent companies because they didn't want to bankrupt them and cause unemployment. Think they would do that in Australia?

You do realise I also have no responsibility to educate you, and I also have an ignore button. If I also put you on ignore nobody will be here to play with you.
Alex
I think desuyou and deshou are interchangable. but who really cares - we are both Australian. And I don't subscribe to being a Japanese language expert. Not bad at economics though.

Regarding banks, Australian banks do keep lending to delinquent companies. They are called 'residential property investment properties' - they make a loss but the banks keep lending!

Um - yeah - thanks for playing - it is entertaining - I do appreciate it. I like forums like this - it is good discussion.

Back