My brain is tired...

To start with this morning, I was reading an article in the paper (don't even remember what it was about, but it opened a parenthesis and didn't close it. I felt empty and unfulfilled.

This afternoon, I've been doing an online training course. Virtually every sentence completes with an upward inflection - like a question is being asked.

Try reading this out loud:
"You use the SELECT statement to retrieve data from a database table? The data is displayed in rows and columns?"

And the same when dictating lists... for fun, go through this list and read each with an upward inflection on EVERY item, even the last:
  • Horse
  • Dog
  • Cat
  • Kangaroo

Please - I want a downward inflection on kangaroo, and preferably, an 'and' after cat!

OK, so I'm a pedant - and proud of it! :p

you added the question marks presumably to demonstrate the way your mind is reading the sentences? Have you been under a lot of pressure lately? Is your colour vision ok? may be worth going for a check up anyway. Hopefully it is just tiredness as you say but I have never heard of this sort of thing as a symptom of tiredness.

http://thistimethisspace.com/2010/06/22/overcoming-chronic-illness-and-stress/

for example.

Nah, sorry for the confusion. The content was largely dictated with the text. The female voice doing the dictating, which also sounded vaguely like it was computer generated, had a rising inflection on nearly every sentence. So I heard questions, when there should have been statements. THAT's what's tiring! :p

Purely a fun, tongue-in-cheek post, but I appreciate the comments.

Try DROP DATABASE. All your problems may vanish :p

That reminds one of my uni class. We all hated the programming tutor with a passion. Once he left his laptop in the class room. I can't remember the exact coding but there is a way to assign a word to a perticular command. So I replaced the command 'dir' with 'rm *' on his laptop :cool:

I see.... is probably an automated text to voice reader. amazing whatthese things can do. I didnt realise Siri could write text messgaes for me, should save some grief whilst texting and driving!

To start with this morning, I was reading an article in the paper (don't even remember what it was about, but it opened a parenthesis and didn't close it. I felt empty and unfulfilled.

This afternoon, I've been doing an online training course. Virtually every sentence completes with an upward inflection - like a question is being asked.

Try reading this out loud:
"You use the SELECT statement to retrieve data from a database table? The data is displayed in rows and columns?"

And the same when dictating lists... for fun, go through this list and read each with an upward inflection on EVERY item, even the last:
  • Horse
  • Dog
  • Cat
  • Kangaroo

Please - I want a downward inflection on kangaroo, and preferably, an 'and' after cat!

OK, so I'm a pedant - and proud of it! :p

I'm a bit of a pedant too (as much as Stephen Fry warns against it). I routinely take photographs of packaging with incorrect spelling printed on it (as well as signs). I should share my collection :).

A favourite: In North Sydney (Greenwood plaza) there is a newsagency with words printed all over it. It includes the misspelling: 'stationary'.

I can't remember the exact coding but there is a way to assign a word to a perticular command. So I replaced the command 'dir' with 'rm *' on his laptop :cool:
What does that do?

In North Sydney (Greenwood plaza) there is a newsagency with words printed all over it. It includes the misspelling: 'stationary'.
124721206575.jpg

What does that do?
Whoops... I should have finished it :)
'dir' is supposed to list all the files and directories. 'rm *' would remove everything! So when he innocently types 'dir' that would cause all his files to get deleted! It is a bit mean.. but he deserves it :)

Whoops... I should have finished it :)
'dir' is supposed to list all the files and directories. 'rm *' would remove everything! So when he innocently types 'dir' that would cause all his files to get deleted! It is a bit mean.. but he deserves it :)
but most people alias rm to 'rm -i' so this would have intercepted your nasty trick

Back