My favourite Meat Pies

I can't recall how exactly it happened - actually yes I can - Phil_H said he was eating a pie for lunch!

It's all his fault.

Anyway, I like a good pie and I decided to share a short list of my favourite pies with the chat.

I reckon that it is one of those things that you have to do when you go to a new place. You have to try the local pie - it really is the measure of a town.

It was suggested to me that I should post the list in the Coffee Lounge, so here it is:

I will confess that the first on the list - Henry's - is my favourite.

However, the others are all very honourable mentions and certainly great pies.

Henry's Bakery Cafe
87 Keen Street
Lismore NSW 2480
02 6621 7035

Delish!

My favourite is their "Ben Hall" pie, but they have a great range, plus lots of other goodies.

Roundabout Bakery
252 Hoskins Street
Temora NSW 2666
02 6978 0020

Just what you need on the boring as bat sh*t drive out west. It is actually located on the roundabout in the centre of town - it is on the Burley Griffin Way.

Martin's Hot Bread Kitchen
92 Tamar Street
Ballina NSW 2478
02 6686 5129

My hometown pie. Been eating them for years and will continue to do so.

Gunna Doo Bakery
18 Gibraltar St
Bungendore NSW 2621
02 6238 1760

A very nice pie. Just the thing for a cold winter's morning in an otherwise one-horse town.

Granny's Bakery
Shop 3, Dickson Plaza
Woolley Street
Dickson ACT 2602
02 6249 6536

No shame in this pie. They are my preferred pie when I am back in Canberra and I have them quite often.

So there you go.

Enjoy!

MB

Granny's do a very nice chicken sate pie.

The Robertson pie shop, on the way down to Wollongong from CBR, has some great pies.

Ah, pies.

In 2000, when we first visited our IP at Ormeau (Gold coast/Brisbane freeway) we came across the famous Yatla drive in pie shop.

Could not believe it. A drive in pie shop - only in Qld.

There was a Q of cars waiting to be served. It which was essentially just an old house, in the middle of an industrial area.

We thought, well, there must be something in this.

So we pulled in.

And yummo - fantastic pies. We visit each time we return.

Now the old building has gone and it looks more like a McDonald, but fantastic pies still.

Give me a pie over a maccas anyday.

Oh Oh - it's lunch time, and I usually have a really healthy salad roll.

Garry K

Originally posted by Garry K
Ah, pies.

In 2000, when we first visited our IP at Ormeau (Gold coast/Brisbane freeway) we came across the famous Yatla drive in pie shop.

I love Yatala pies too... only they aren't in Ormeau, they are (oddly enough) in Yatala!!!

The other really good pies I have found in and around BNE are:

The Salisbury Bakery, believe it or not, these pies are home made and fantastic, Ainsworth St, Salisbury.

Davies Bakery, Toohey Rd, Tarragindi.

And, last but not least...

there's one in a little town near kingaroy, that is absolutely magnificent... I'll try to remember the name of the town...

asy :D

Being a Lions supporter, my favourite pie is the Collingwood Pie!!!!!!:p

The Coolangatta Pie Shop in Griffith St, Coolangatta has great pies and is open 24hrs on Friday and Saturday Nights.

BUNDY

Hi guys,

Gotta be Yatala Pies for sure, particularly when you are coming home from the Gold Coast on a Sunday afternoon and you know you won't be cooking dinner!!!

There is also a pie shop at Bangalow near Lismore that is quite good. Not sure of it's name though!!

Dos

I think Yatala has it.

Interesting that no one has mentioned the Aussie icon, 4'n'twenty, or is that just a Vic brand?

Garry K

Harry's Cafe de Wheels is good but their pies look like a SA pie floater gone wrong.

The pie needs to be FLOATING in pea soup and have heaps of vinegar and tomato sauce.

Stirling

While in Uni I lived on Balfours square pies (an SA icon).

Pity they are so difficult to get anywhere outside SA.

Balfours square pie and a Knippy's orange juice - staple diet of many a uni student !

Pie Floaters

Years ago I worked in Sth Oz and travelled through Adelaide.

The pie floaters at Adelaide central were good. They used Balfour's pies which (were) are great. Yep a Sth Oz icon.

Is the pie wagon still there?

Can anyone remember Dinkum Pies in St Kilda main drag in the days when St Moritz ice skating ring was there? They were the best. Choice varieties.

You find the best pies while passing through regional towns and stopping for a feed in the local bakeries. Never know when to stop when selecting the culinary delights on offer.

Now we have the frozen specials from the supermarket; Big Ben varieties etc. Sad times hey?

galli orixi for those who understand Greek!

When I was a member of New Brighton Golf Club (Moorebank), years ago the cook there made the BEST pies - full of chunky (i.e REAL) meat and vegies....alas he's gone now.
I like my local baker in Crestwood shops, they make a good meat (or Mushroom) pie.

Mocca's bakery in Port Douglas was a "must visit" when I used to live not too far away in Cairns - in the 1980s.

My favourite though, the Old Elsey Wayside Inn at Mataranka in the NT. First class. :)

regards

I had nothing better to do, and I don't know why I did it, but here's a condensed list of what you have all written:

Baker's Hill Pie Shop about an hour North of Perth on the rd to Bindoon.
Henry's Bakery Café, 87 Keen Street, Lismore NSW 2480, 02 6621 7035
Roundabout Bakery, 252 Hoskins Street, Temora NSW 2666, 02 6978 0020
Martin's Hot Bread Kitchen, 92 Tamar Street, Ballina NSW 2478, 02 6686 5129
Gunna Doo Bakery, 18 Gibraltar St, Bungendore NSW 2621, 02 6238 1760
Granny's Bakery, Shop 3, Dickson Plaza, Woolley Street, Dickson ACT 2602, 02 6249 6536
The Robertson pie shop, on the way down to Wollongong from CBR, has some great pies.
Rick's Pies in Maryborough
Yatla drive in Pie Shop Ormeau (Gold coast/Brisbane freeway)
The Salisbury Bakery, Ainsworth St, Salisbury
Davies Bakery, Toohey Rd, Tarragindi
The Coolangatta Pie Shop in Griffith St, Coolangatta
The Pie in the Sky" at Cowan.
Harry's Cafe de Wheels
Balfours square pie
Old Elsey Wayside Inn at Mataranka in the NT
Mocca's bakery in Port Douglas
pie shop at Bangalow near Lismore

It wouldn't be that bad if I even liked meat pies !!! :rolleyes:

There is a meat pie shop in Penrith, on High St. They claim that they make the best meat pies in Australia, and they have won 12 medals in some meat pie competition.

I tried their steak and bacon pie and it was delicious!! :)

Pies Mmmmmmm

Just wondered if the pie shop you're referring to near Bangalow in northern NSW is a very large pie place owned by a good friend of mine. It's a big Service Station/Pie Shop combined. They make all their own pies there and I can vouch that they are something very special. They even make Lentil Pies there. It's on the highway and it's called Uncle Tom's Pies at Mullumbimby. They send their pies all the way to Sydney to Leagues Clubs etc. If you're going through, pop in and say G'day to Ian.
JIM

Back