My first share 10 bagger.

Interesting to compare Sirtex and Ramsey through the GFC, as I held both. Sirtex was hammered and was at $1.60 at the depths of the GFC late 08 and early 09. Ramsey didn't drop at all as people pilled into safe stuff.

See ya's.

What made you want to hang on TC?

That's what I do. I don't trade at all. I've hung onto some dogs too don't worry.

I might buy and sell a few parcels of shares a few times a year. Held onto a heap of shares right to the bottom of the GFC and felt like a total dumbar$e, however I was not geared and was able to buy a heap of stuff on the rise. I remember putting 250 K into the market in half an hour in mid 09, a few months after the rise started. Just a mixture of companies.

I do like to average up into a company, but not down. I know traders rant and rave about stop losses. I think stop losses are dumb, but that's because I'm a long term investor, not a trader. You don't go and buy a house for a $1million and sell it if the price drops to $900,000. So if I take a position in a company and it goes bad, I certainly don't buy more as the price drops. However I'm happy to buy more as the price rises.

See ya's.

ps. Anyone who takes free advice about shares from a farmer, on a property forum deserves to lose all their money.

Last edited:
well done TC. 2 10x investments is massive.

what made you get on sirtex that long ago?

Believe it or not, I bought into them because Peter Hall of 'Hunter Hall' managed funds had SRX as one of their prime stocks in their funds. Hunter Hall has been selling out lately, but only because of the massive growth in SRX means it breaks their rules about percentages of companies in their funds. I also pay a lot of attention to what Kerr Neilson of 'Platinum investments' says. I've done well from his funds too.

See ya's.

Believe it or not, I bought into them because Peter Hall of 'Hunter Hall' managed funds had SRX as one of their prime stocks in their funds. Hunter Hall has been selling out lately, but only because of the massive growth in SRX means it breaks their rules about percentages of companies in their funds. I also pay a lot of attention to what Kerr Neilson of 'Platinum investments' says. I've done well from his funds too.
See ya's.

This post is solid gold. Pay attention folks. TC is no fool

That's what I do. I don't trade at all. I've hung onto some dogs too don't worry.

Speaking of dogs Topcropper, what do you think of Elders as a turnaround stock? So far I have done well out of them as bought not long ago at 13 cents.
Seems like they are finally on the right track and have good management now in my opinion.

Don't bother telling me it looks expensive!:D It's always looked expensive. It's always had a high PE ratio and a low dividend yield. Probably a good example of a first class business. Anyway. I'm just gunna hang on and see what happens.

Another good example of financial analysis being what it is, a bunch of numbers which don't mean much nor shows an appreciation of an asset or the market in which it operates. Same thing with properties.

Good job on your buy.

Don't follow them at all. I try to avoid rural stocks as I'm already invested into the industry via my farm and job.

See ya's.
Fair enough.
I've built up a few hundred thousand Elders in the last three months as firmly believe in the new strategy and management team. Results come out next Monday. Hoping they will be a 24 bagger by 2020.

How is your harvest going? Have you had an OK year considering everything?
All the best.

Have Done well myself with RHC shares.
Only have employee share's now, rest went into the property game.
Wish I had invested more, still think they have more to give!

How is your harvest going? Have you had an OK year considering everything?
All the best.

Start harvesting wheat in about 2 weeks. It's been a dry year and the yield will be below average. We also need 25 mills of rain to get our sorghum planted. Put in a bit of cotton again and it looks fine, so should have put more in. Been a poor year overall.

See ya's.

Fair enough.
I've built up a few hundred thousand Elders in the last three months as firmly believe in the new strategy and management team. Results come out next Monday. Hoping they will be a 24 bagger by 2020.

Did you take part in the entitlement offer? Looked at ELD a while ago, just looking at Agri business, an industry I feel has a long term tailwind. Seems they have been liquidating a lot of assets to lighten the debt load. Quick back of the envelope suggest 2-3 bagger from here IF they hit 2017 earnings target. What are your numbers on 2020 24 bagger scenario? :)

Start harvesting wheat in about 2 weeks. It's been a dry year and the yield will be below average. We also need 25 mills of rain to get our sorghum planted. Put in a bit of cotton again and it looks fine, so should have put more in. Been a poor year overall.

See ya's.
Yes, I thought it may have been dry up that way but sometimes you can be lucky and get under a storm at the right time. Good luck with everything and keep building the off farm income.

Did you take part in the entitlement offer? Looked at ELD a while ago, just looking at Agri business, an industry I feel has a long term tailwind. Seems they have been liquidating a lot of assets to lighten the debt load. Quick back of the envelope suggest 2-3 bagger from here IF they hit 2017 earnings target. What are your numbers on 2020 24 bagger scenario? :)
G'day Erko - yes took part in the offer. Am feeling very confident about the new strategy Elders are pursuing and the boss (Mark Allison) is very very capable man with runs on the board. Also yes, finally I think agriculture is turning the corner and we are in for more prosperous times.
Numbers on 2020 24 bagger - just gut feeling.

G'day Erko - yes took part in the offer. Am feeling very confident about the new strategy Elders are pursuing and the boss (Mark Allison) is very very capable man with runs on the board. Also yes, finally I think agriculture is turning the corner and we are in for more prosperous times.
Numbers on 2020 24 bagger - just gut feeling.

ELD trading at $3.48 after 10:1 consolidation ($0.348 pre consolidation). Very solid performance in the last 3 months (+65% since November). A good story and more to come.....its growing market cap means the fundies can buy it now, I see AMP just bought 5% :D

Fair enough.

Going well Erko. Tripled my money on a couple of hundred thousand of the barstards and only made circa 50% on my other couple of hundred thousand. Need a bit of a win after lost circa 100k in the GFC.

Back