My IP was sub-let ?!!!! risks?

Visited the property this morning. Broken chairs left in the back yard. The garage had an old small TV, TV trolley and some other stuff. Both bins were full to the top with broken chairs/furniture/clothes.

My memory fails me, but I think they changed all wardrobe doors which were not mirrored to mirrored doors! But I have no photos and no proof. One of the painters who went to the property for a quote had told me the doors were not mirrored.

..But they look okay...

The Pm should have pictures for when they did the ingoing/outgoing condition reports.

Get your PM to arrange rubbisn removal and deduct cost from the bond

Thats weird as mirrored doors would be a couple of hundred a set... why would a tenant with shabby furniture and hardly a dollar to rub together be replacing wardrobe doors???

Any on the ceiling.........:eek: May answer your question DaveM

Reactions: Sez
But if they are capable of taking it out they should put it back in :confused:

Theres a trick to putting back fly screens. Ever seen people who don't know how put them back? Involves a hammer.

Meanwhile, a mate use to do subletting of multiple houses when I was in uni. Made $200/week per house profit.

There's more than 1 way to make money off property. He was always a few steps ahead of us financially, don't know what he does now, but seems to spend a lot of time on international flights.

I went back to emails when the PM had sent me info about the tenants:
- Husband and wife, no children
Have a look at the water usage. It should roughly indicate the number of people lived in that house.

I would say that other issues are minor. Just clean it up and move on :)

I pay rent on my place of $500 a week. Rent it for $350 a night for short bursts normally while I travel overseas. It was what I was doing before I went legal with my boarding houses and where I got the idea. This year shows I paid no rent on my house thanks to that and year before that was rent free and it also funded us three months travel to Vietnam, Hawaii, Bali etc. Also charge people to use internet and showers and sleep in tents or park campervans on the street for NYE. I try and keep it down to a dull roar but even with the legal boarding houses now we went way over allowable guests and I had 117 guests across three houses on NYE. Rows of tents down the backyard. Won't ever be doing that again - it just got out of hand! But...made about 20K profit in the week.

Whats wrong with mirrors on the ceiling? Gives me a better view of my leopard skin print sheets :cool:

:D - Nearly died laughing.

Sounds like no major damage was done so if I were you I'd clean it up and get your work done and move on :), hopefully your agent will be very careful with their tenant checks :). You should still have a bond and doesn't sound like there is heaps of outstanding rent :).

TL;DR version = I think my property was sublet, I feel violated, what are the risk with this.

I've also had places sublet but didn't worry too much about it. On an inspection I noticed one guy was living in the garage but let it go because I felt sorry for him. Another place had extra people so I got 2 of them put on the lease. I wouldn't stress about it or take things personally. Put the flyscreens back on yourself and move on.

Hi All,

I had posted a thread a number of months ago about renovating a property where the tenants had agreed to have it renovated and then they wouldn't be available for quotes multiple times and then when we ultimately did have quotes, said to they couldn't tell when they are home when they are not.

So I decided to have it vacated. In about 10 days the 90 day period gets over. Tenants decided earlier in the week that they were leaving today.

I was fortunate to have the painter available and the blinds guys ready to have the works done from Monday.

That aside, today we did an inspection of the property with our PM agency's principal as the PM was not available.

The tenants were due to leave at 3:00pm but at 3:30pm they were still taking the stuff out and putting it in a ute. It all looked pretty shabby. Went in....all blinds and curtains were off. But I wasn't complaining as the painter was due to remove them anyway. Following that I was looking around....it appeared three people lived there. Two filipino ladies and a man in 40's ??

So the young girl said that they really wanted to stay. Followed by the older lady asking our PM principal that the property has been readvertised for higher. She was a bit gobsmacked that it was re-advertised...So I told her that they agreed to have it renovated but weren't available. But then I was quiet as it's the PM's job to do the explaining. The young girl was indicating they were okay to have it painted :eek:

Anyway after we left, and thought a bit over it, had a gut feeling the property was potentially sub-let. The tenant on the lease is a CPA with a tax business in the area with a six figure turnover. While these tenants looked from a really low socio-economic and uneducated background.

We called our PM principal and said since the tenants still hadn't left we would be doing an inspection tomorrow morning. And let him know our thoughts. He said he would look into it on Monday.

And a painter who had quoted me had said that he couldn't understand what's wrong with these people as everytime he called someone took a message and the tenant on the lease himself wasn't easy to get access to?

What are the risks with sub letting? I feel rather wronged at the moment. Especially when the "tenant" on the lease said he was ALWAYS too busy etc etc to get hold of.

I'm surprised the PM didn't pick on it. But how can they if they have 100's of properties to manage? I don't expect them to memorise the tenant's face.

Thanks,
Ms Ali.

Talking about sublet... my neighbor upstairs he sub-letted. His family used to be above my unit since the first day I move in for many yrs. His family then moved out about a year ago (not sure if because the kids were too noisy at 1 am in the morning). Then now many chinese students moved in. When they walk along the stairs I can hear their step even in my bedroom (the living room is in between the main door and bedroom), many times at night even at 1 or 2 am).

One day I saw my old neighbor came back and open the LUG. I was a bit surprise. I asked him if he owned the place he said he rented and now rent to one of his employee. I believe this chinese employee sub-letting to the students..

These students did not put the rubbish to the rubbish bin (which is at the other end of driveway) but just outside the stairs...

How are landlord insurances with illegal subletting?

I can't speak for all policies but whereas RentCover does not allow properties to be sublet, if you are unaware that it is occurring then you would still be fully covered. I would like to think that would apply to all policies. Where it may get a little stickier would be if your property manager was aware but you were not, although we would still view you as the policyholder as being unaware and therefore still covered.

Haha, don't know why you're so surprised?

Most property managers are complete and utter !@#$s... they always say the place is in perfect condition on the inspection checklist no matter what state the place is in.

If your PM is too lazy to take photos, or the place is in such a state they don't want to take photos, expect your tenants to leave the place a mess when they leave.

The last place I moved from I left everything downstairs in storage as there were no photos of it.. left old and unwanted furniture as well as $20 BBQ I bought second hand with a gas bottle (took the gas bottle to recoup my outlay). Saved me a lot of time and effort in taking the stuff to the tip or dumping it illegally.

Moved into a new place which is a 4 bedroom house... renting out the other 3 rooms and I live there for $50/wk. Pretty good. But, I do supply everything - fridge, washing machine, cutlery, tv, etc. And I get people to rent the other rooms off gumtree.

It's just tenants sick of being screwed over by property managers who are complete and utter scum, then sticking it back to them and playing the game.

Tribunal is a laugh too once you know how the system works, as most PMs don't have enough evidence to prove anything against you.

Please keep us an update MsAli, I may not able to give suggestion. But learning from your experience if you don't mind.

Wife told me to pray for you - pray of patience and guidence from above..

Thanks guys. Thanks ZachAnSel

A quick update. My PM assured me she had seen the guy at the property when she went over to visit other properties in the complex. So I bought that. She said we can do very little if he was charging board from other tenants as it's not illegal and could not have been stopped if that was the case.

Though I still have my doubts as I received the rental statement and not sure why water usage for multiple quarters was billed. Here were the water usage costs which do seem rather HIGH for two people:

$144.84
$95.85
$134.19

Another property in the same suburb with 2 occupants has always ranged between $35-$55

Anyhow, they left the property clean, I'm grateful about that. While the one with 2 occupants left it quite dirty that we need to use the bond for cleaning.....

Thanks again everyone!

Back