My kitchen

Hey Guys,

I finished the kitchen today, It is one of two in a couple of apartments I'm renovating. I did everything myself so I'll share:

1. cupboards - 16mm MR melamine from laminex, ordered 550mm x 3600mm and then docked to length on a panel saw.

2. doors - 18mm MDF arises sanded, edges filled with diluted timbermate, Mirotone Mirobild acid catalysed polyurethane, HVLP spray setup. One coat primer, two topcoats.

3. Hettich hinges and metal drawer sides.

4. door handles from Nover.

5. Kicks - SS from consolidated edgings.

6. Appliances - Euromaid (cheapie) with Electrolux Gallery dishwasher.

7. rangehood - slide out Euromaid with custom SS flashings bent into duct and cover piece.

8. benchtops - sale at nover

9. sinks - clark on sale at Bunnies

10. mixer - Dorf $60

Look Alright??

Cheers
Pulse

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 487
  • oven.jpg
    oven.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 428
  • sink.jpg
    sink.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 389
Well done pulse, it looks very shmick.

May i ask what the total cost came to?

You said you got some 550 x 3600 - was this for your gables? I'm guessing the 550 was your gable depth as your kicks don't look more than 150mm? Gable height was about 720mm?

Was the 2 pack satin or gloss? Colour - antique white?

Did you polish your floor before putting your kicks down?

What did the s/s splashback set you back?

cheers

Hi Tizzy,
The splashbacks are Stainless steel 304 no4 finish 0.9mm thick $136 for a 2.4m by 600mm piece. I cut the holes for the power points and glued it to the wall before the cupboards.

Cheers
Pulse

I'll try to work out the total for both:

appliances $2000 (Oven, hotplates, rangehood)
dishwashers $1200
Timber $1200
2pack $300
Spray gun $100
SS $598 + $300 for rangehood ducting
new cypress floor $400 (est)
Lighting $60 trapeze + $40 under bench
benchtops 3 x 3600 $700 clearance sale at nover
Kitchen hinges, handles, drawers, feet $600
sinks $500
mixers $120
blinds $100 (est)
paint $100 (est)

=$8318 plus a few hundred for extras makes about $4500 each

plus heaps of my time!!!

800kg of timber was cut to size in tamworth, driven to newcastle, assembled and painted and driven back... all towed by a little toyota starlet!

... am I glad its done

Cheers
Pulse

You said you got some 550 x 3600 - was this for your gables? I'm guessing the 550 was your gable depth as your kicks don't look more than 150mm? Gable height was about 720mm?

Was the 2 pack satin or gloss? Colour - antique white?

Did you polish your floor before putting your kicks down?

Thanks Nomadic

The sizes were copied from the lamikits (laminex flat packs) the floor cupboards were 550mm deep (+18mm front +3mm back +2mm door clearance) leaves space for 600mm deep benchtops. I think laminex in Tamworth might custom cut these to 550mm from what I heard.

The benches are 900 high (150 kick + 720mm + benchtop)

The 2 pac was gloss white (untinted)

The floors were polished after the cupboards went in, before I clipped the kicks in.

Cheers
Pulse

Very well done, a big thumbs up ;)

Where did you get the stainless steel from? Its my favorite treatment for the stove area. We installed some in a number of units and s/s still looks good.

Cheers

The whole reno (2 flats) has taken three years due to heavy work commitments. Not a good example of how to make money renovating, but has been really enjoyable. Cutting up the timber took 1 day, screwing together two days, spray painting the doors took the most time 3-4 days about. Installation took about two days also.

Cheers
Pulse

As the others have said, very nice indeed. One question - the down lights make it look very sexy, but the actual light level looks a bit dark. Do the photos give an accurate indication of the light level, or is it brighter in reality?

Reason I ask is that I like cooking, and over the years have developed some pet hates from the kitchens I have used. A big one is not having proper lighting to work with (whether it's over the stove, the benches, the sink, or even looking in the cupboards).

John.

G'day John, the light seems OK, the lights are as follows:

20W x3 under overhead benches
50W x 2 - over the stove and the sink
20W x 6 for the trapeze lights

I also thought about fluoros above the wall cupboards for general lighting but decided against it in the end.

Cheers
Pulse

Pulse,
Absolutely fantastic - very stylish, modern and clean. The only question I have is - can you buy stainless power points for the splashback?

RJ

RJ, I think they are available, the brand is SPM cheap copy of HPM from China.. I might have to look into it

Cheers
Pulse

Pulse,
Its not that I think they look "bad"... just wondering if the stainless ones might be better suited.

Apart from that the kitchen looks awesome! Whens the dinner party?

RJ

The SPM stuff is actually really good. Cheap, but it looks great. MCBs are about $3, double powerpoints $5.50. It saved me at least 50%. The place the sold it in Newcastle closed but these guys sell it:

http://www.firststop.com.au/

Their stainless covers are actually just painted silver so they look a bit cheap.

Cheers
Pulse

Back