My Latest Reno - October 2013

I've been pretty quiet recently online, here is my latest reno, fire damaged property in VIC (will post details later)
3RjpDKN.jpg

6LdDYUc.jpg

4mLTXhE.jpg

Kbnr0UC.jpg

zizzfjQ.jpg

Currently a 3Bdr/1 bath, will be changed into a 4bdr/1bath or 2bath

Unfortunately, already hit a major obstacle before even starting
I already knew that the switchboard needs to be replaced
but I got a call from the power company today and got told that it was
originally done on the dodgy, and they wont connect the power until I
disconnect the line to the power pole and pit, and I have to run a line to the metered area on the other side of the drive way approx 15m away, and that it MUST be underground, so now I have to tear up bits of the driveway and put a line through the concrete and redo the affected driveway...... Not a good start

P.S Apologies for the crappy photos, as my photography skills are worse then a 3yr olds

Last edited:
ahhh I cant see your budget but that's not good from the pics all I gotta say is good luck..... that's more than a challenge in my eyes, nearly a pulldown job to me..

I spoke to my partners dad whos a chippy and we bot looked at your budget he said the same as me its a pulldown job and 39k?....keep going.

Hi TC

I saw this one in Ballarat, it's a big job so look forward to your updates.

Have you included estimates for carpet/tiles etc? And suspect the costs for windows and kitchen are a little light on.

Please keep us updated and all the best.

:D

Hi TE

Will you be doing most of the work or will a builder be managing it/signing off on it?

What is the time frame for your reno's?

Look forward to all of the updates

I spoke to my partners dad whos a chippy and we bot looked at your budget he said the same as me its a pulldown job and 39k?....keep going.

I think its more or a repair job rather than a pull-down job.......39k is achievable IMO if you know what you're doing......he'll be right

Truly Exotic - this property will come up a treat.

Did you need to get any structural assessments because of the fire or apply for a building permit through council to carry out the necessary works? I should say were these needed / required?

What sort of time frame have you put on the project?

Are you plastering yourself or paying a tradie?

Just curious of the paint $300 - will you spray the house? Do you use less paint when you spray?

Sorry for all the questions - still learning.

Thanks everyone,
We've budgeted $39k, but left contingency of up to $50k in total as these projects always throw unexpected stuff along the way, as per the first post which has already put a big dent in before we even started,

overall, the bigger challenge is co-ordinating the workers together, ie electrician, plumber, builder, handyman, Heating/cooling people. so a 3 day job for each person might take 2 weeks co-ordinating them

I plan to do the painting myself since painters in the area are a pain to deal with, and possibly the install of the kitchen, I wont be doing any of the actual work this time, as I might as well get it all done, however, ill be onsite almost everyday, picking up and delivering materials.

Dont need planning permit unless im doing any changes to the exterior, as the building is heritage listed.

Timeframe: approx 2 weeks: strucutral aspect, then another 2-3 weeks for the internal bits,
but like every job, something unexpected will always turn up ;)

Thanks everyone,
We've budgeted $39k, but left contingency of up to $50k in total as these projects always throw unexpected stuff along the way, as per the first post which has already put a big dent in before we even started,

overall, the bigger challenge is co-ordinating the workers together, ie electrician, plumber, builder, handyman, Heating/cooling people. so a 3 day job for each person might take 2 weeks co-ordinating them

I plan to do the painting myself since painters in the area are a pain to deal with, and possibly the install of the kitchen, I wont be doing any of the actual work this time, as I might as well get it all done, however, ill be onsite almost everyday, picking up and delivering materials.

Dont need planning permit unless im doing any changes to the exterior, as the building is heritage listed.

Timeframe: approx 2 weeks: strucutral aspect, then another 2-3 weeks for the internal bits,
but like every job, something unexpected will always turn up ;)

what is the expected end value of the property?

Update 1:
Weather has been horrible, plus co-ordinating, the builder, roof guy, plasterer, heating has simultanesouly been quite a nightmare, so behind schedule, budget slightly over, probably wont get it back, in fact might get a bit bigger

Roof fixed, plumbers and electrician have roughed in, frame/trusses replaced, weatherboards are up so plasterers can start

Now the fun begins:D

Attachments

• mms_20131023_2.jpg
    mms_20131023_2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 120
  • mms_20131023_3.jpg
    mms_20131023_3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 117
  • mms_20131023_4.jpg
    mms_20131023_4.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 118
Final Update:
Project has completed!!!!!!! :) :) :)
unfortunately, it was pretty much completed in early feb but had a few scheduling issues so has taken the extra 2 months, which wasnt fun

Final Reno Cost
$50,985 (estimate was $39k with contingency of up to $50k)

Rent $280 per week

Converted a 2bdr+attached shed into a 4bdr

One of the major obstacles was one of the previous disgruntled workers breaking into the house and stealing basically all my tools which were brand new last month. They've caught him and charged him as of last week

Photos attached (ps my photography skills have not improved in 5 years!)

Last edited:
Photos 1 of 4

Attachments

• DSC_3671.jpg
    DSC_3671.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC_3679.jpg
    DSC_3679.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_3678.jpg
    DSC_3678.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 114