My Property Trailer..

I quit my 9-5 IT job a few days ago to concentrate on other things in my life (including property).. So I'll be doing almost all of the maintenance on my properties from now on including basic plumbing and minor electrical..

I've done a lot of the maintenance in the past and the one thing that has really annoyed me is the constant loading/unloading of tools into the car and the realisation that you've forgotten that particular tool/fastener/paint/hook/hose fitting/fuse/washer/drill bit/drill/chuck key/broom/mop/screwdriver/lock kit/hinge/rivet/curtain rod fitting/curtain ring/cloth/cleaning spray/weed spray/extension lead etc.. etc.. etc.. I dunno how many times I've pondered on the relative worth of ducking into the local hardware shop to buy a drill bit vs driving all the way home..

So I've solved that problem by buying a little Tradesmans Trailer that I'm going to load up with a wide range of tools and bits and peices. When I go to a job I'll hook the trailer up and take my own little workshop with me! :)

DuncsTrailer.jpg

There's room on the front for a mower (spare wheel will come off), my ladder will go on top. $2700 from Brooks Trailers on South Road at Morphett Vale (Adelaide).

I chuffed with the trailer and cant wait to get a free few hours to start decking it out with toolboxes and little holders for everything, a place for everything and everything in its place :)

Well done Dunc!!!;)

Don't forget about security. Wheel lock is an absolute must and also need to think about those doors with a lock in the middle. Very easy to lift one corner with the right crow bar.

Unfortubately my young carpenter has had his trailer stolen not ones but twice. There are some real scum in this world.

Cheers

Should look nice painted Red with a bit of signwriting (SL & Ho).:D

Or maybe use it to advertise, along the line of "we buy houses".

Well done on your breakaway Dunc.

handyandy said:
Well done Dunc!!!;)

Don't forget about security. Wheel lock is an absolute must and also need to think about those doors with a lock in the middle. Very easy to lift one corner with the right crow bar.

Unfortubately my young carpenter has had his trailer stolen not ones but twice. There are some real scum in this world.

Cheers

Thanks.. It'll be backed into my shed when not in use.. still leaves the Bunnings carpark etc :(

onya dunc!

If your experience is as good as mine, you will find that property will quickly earn you more than your "job" ever did.

the trailer ..... would have been better to get the one with fold down sides .. imho ... but nothing a day and a gas axe won't fix .. :D

And for $20 a simple alarm inside it is not a bad idea, along with an alarm activated with a mercury switch .....

go for it!

rossv

Good on you Duncan for making that break. You'll love the whole being there for kids after school, dropping in to assemblies etcetera. And you'll probably find people will start bugging you to do jobs for them and you'll have to knock the extra work back.

duncan_m said: I quit my 9-5 IT job a few days ago to concentrate on other things in my life (including property).. So I'll be doing almost all of the maintenance on my properties from now on including basic plumbing and minor electrical..

Well done for taking the move. I would love to do the same thing and have the confidence to be able to buy older properties and spend some time/money doing them up to the point where I can re-sell to make some $$$$. I'd only be after smaller amounts, just to replace the normal salary. Haven't quite got the confidence to plunge into it as yet. Also, I am in Adelaide and I'm not sure the market is appropriate for doing up and selling for profit... comments??

Good on ya.

Andrew.

Bricks & Mortar said:
Well done Duncan,

Thought you would have gone for a removable locker for the back of the ute instead of a trailer.
But the trailers good!

I considered decking out the back of one of the trucks.. but I have 2 trucks + my 4WD on the road.. I like being able to choose which to drive, hooking up the trailer to it and heading off :)

Hi Duncan,
Nearly fell off my chair when I read your posts- on Wednesday this week I stopped at Brooks trailers and was looking at a very similar trailer to the one you have bought- for exactly the same reason!!. My son thinks it's hilarious how I seem to have two of everything.

We should catch up now you're a man of leisure with time on your hands-!!!
Tom

duncan_m said:
I considered decking out the back of one of the trucks.. but I have 2 trucks + my 4WD on the road.. I like being able to choose which to drive, hooking up the trailer to it and heading off :)

Its all about being able to make the choices in life hey Duncan-m.
l hope to get there one day
good luck to ya
cheers yadreamin

Nice one duncan,

I echo handy's advice, my neighbor had his trailer stolen from the front of his house, and I also know of another chippy who had his whole car and trailer stolen from the front of a site, so keep your eye on it.

I love buying new tools, there is always an easy justification for buying it for the missus. I just tell her it will help us make money in the long run cos I will use it to fix something in a house :)

agleave,
just bite the bullet and do it mate. We bought a 1910 built house in Peterhead (next to Semaphore and Pt. Adelaide) in 2004 with the intention of me fixing it up. I thought I knew what I was doing, but I've learnt an absolute bucketload about houses and how things work, and loved every minute of it. We've still got heaps to do, but the lessons I've learnt will help me fix the next one up quicker and hopefully with a better standard of work.

duncan_m said:
There's room on the front for a mower (spare wheel will come off), my ladder will go on top. $2700 from Brooks Trailers on South Road at Morphett Vale (Adelaide).

Were the offerings from MW's on South Road in Melrose Park not as good as first thought?

Back