My Situation; fishing for advice.

Hi All,

I've only recently signed on my first home, to by my PPOR. I'm 27y.o IT professional on an OK salary (sub 70k, over 60k) which should continue to rise ~5% per year.

I had been searching for about 6 months, and while it's not as central as I would have liked to to be, I believe it's in a good pocket for future capital growth, some of which could be realised within the next 3 years due to a major bypass completion being quite near. Future CG should also be fed from a proposed train station nearby on the Melbourne line, and commerical development for much of Geelong's future (30yr) growth also planned nearby.

For those familar with the Geelong region, the house in in Waurn Ponds. Approximately 1km from the end/start of the Geelong Bypass, making travel to Melbourne much easier than through Geelong, and at the same time making travel to the Surf Coast for Melbournites also much quicker. The house is also within 1-2kms of the University. It's a 4br double garage, so future rental opportunities is well placed for a larger family. Currently at 90% LVR.

My loan will be split 50/50 between a 5yr fixed rate (for security) and a variable loan - both P&I. I will have an offset account linked to the variable portion, where all my excess funds will be kept. I have a 25k family debt (assistance for a deposit) which I need to pay off in approximately 5 years. There is no interest on this, and no real drama if not ready to pay in 5yrs - though I don't like owing family money.

I want to start tying together a diverse collection of assets for my future. At this stage I'm not too concerned with working out how much I need to retire early etc. Though, I do want to start building the wealth to take advantage of my young age.

My intentions.. all of which includes paying off small portions of the 25k in cash when I can afford to.
  • Save $15,000 in the Offset Account ASAP. Margin loan $10,000 and Invest 20,000 in a moderate growth managed fund/shares fund. (5k stays in offset)
  • Purchase an IP (or new PPOR).

Regarding the purchase of the first IP, will it work in my benefit to save for a cash deposit in my offset account, or simply have my PPOR revalued to a point where there is enough equity in it to borrow 80% of IP value and get the 20% off my PPOR? How does this function - I mean, does it in effect help me buy an IP without saving the cash, but at the same time work against me in that I am borrowing against the PPOR, which is not tax deductable? Will the 20% deposit from my PPOR equity being tax deductable?

Similarly, can things such as the Margin loan for share investments be funded from CG on my PPOR? I understand once I have my first IP, it's that property I'd be wanting to draw any equity down from and not the PPOR?

It's a mind shift for me, for years I always had the intention of buying my first home, and working as hard as possible to pay of the mortgage outright.

You've got a lot of questions in there, but from what I can gather you're asking where to go after you've had the PPOR for a little while and built up some equity?

Either way you go, an IP, or draw down for Managed Funds - you can draw down the equity from the PPOR into a new seperate loan/LOC which is totally seperate from your PPOR mortgage. The mortgage remains non tax deductible, but the new smaller loan/LOC you've created (from the extra equity you've gained) is tax deductible. This is the loan you use for the Managed Funds, or if you have enough equity - this will become the loan for your first IP.

My loan will be split 50/50 between a 5yr fixed rate (for security) and a variable loan - both P&I. I will have an offset account linked to the variable portion, where all my excess funds will be kept. I have a 25k family debt (assistance for a deposit) which I need to pay off in approximately 5 years. There is no interest on this, and no real drama if not ready to pay in 5yrs - though I don't like owing family money.

Based on future goals (how long do you want to stay in this house (short term, then rent out or stay long term)) I would try and get the loan changed to I/O on both portions. This will increase your cashflow and allow you to pay off the debt to your folks quicker. Some people will tell you that it's best to hold off paying the oldies back, cause it's a no interest loan, but I think these sorts of things go far deeper than simple money issues and it would be ideal to get that out of the way as fast as you can. They fronted up for you, it's now time for you to pay back that trust.

I want to start tying together a diverse collection of assets for my future. At this stage I'm not too concerned with working out how much I need to retire early etc. Though, I do want to start building the wealth to take advantage of my young age.

It may not be high on your list of priorities at the moment, but I would at least start thinking about it. Planning ahead will almost certainly help you in the future. Try and get into the habit of thinking forward, rather than thinking right now.

My intentions.. all of which includes paying off small portions of the 25k in cash when I can afford to.
  • Save $15,000 in the Offset Account ASAP. Margin loan $10,000 and Invest 20,000 in a moderate growth managed fund/shares fund. (5k stays in offset)
  • Purchase an IP (or new PPOR).
I would use that money to pay back my parents first. But that's just me.

Similarly, can things such as the Margin loan for share investments be funded from CG on my PPOR? I understand once I have my first IP, it's that property I'd be wanting to draw any equity down from and not the PPOR?

Yes, you can use equity from your properties to purchase shares/funds and draw down margin funds to also purchase. Just remember that you will need to service the loan, so it might pay to have funds that focus mostly on income so as to help with servicing.

It's a mind shift for me, for years I always had the intention of buying my first home, and working as hard as possible to pay of the mortgage outright.

Congrats on shifting your thought patterns. Now you can work towards freedom rather than a crappy retirement.

Mark

Either way you go, an IP, or draw down for Managed Funds - you can draw down the equity from the PPOR into a new seperate loan/LOC which is totally seperate from your PPOR mortgage. The mortgage remains non tax deductible, but the new smaller loan/LOC you've created (from the extra equity you've gained) is tax deductible.
So, assuming I have enough equity in the PPOR is it preferential to:
a) Save 20k, Borrow 20k and buy 40k MF's (20k loan tax deductable)
b) Draw 20k equity, Borrow a further 20k and buy 40k MF's (40k tax deductbale)
?
If my line of thinking is correct, the difference is buying sooner (assuming I can get the equity before the cash) versus larger amount of debt?

Based on future goals (how long do you want to stay in this house (short term, then rent out or stay long term)) I would try and get the loan changed to I/O on both portions.
Unfortunately at this stage I have no idea how long I will live in this house. I'd prefer at least 10 years, but situations may change. I certainly won't out-grow it (just me and my partner, no kids planned).

It may not be high on your list of priorities at the moment, but I would at least start thinking about it. Planning ahead will almost certainly help you in the future. Try and get into the habit of thinking forward, rather than thinking right now.
You're completely correct in that regard.

I would use that money to pay back my parents first. But that's just me.
I intend on saving/paying off debt equally (save 10k, pay 5k).

so it might pay to have funds that focus mostly on income so as to help with servicing.
As in purchase high income/low growth funds to service the loan, then switch them to high growth/low income?

Thankyou both for your replies :)

Based on future goals (how long do you want to stay in this house (short term, then rent out or stay long term)) I would try and get the loan changed to I/O on both portions.

I wanna change this slightly - I feel it would be preferable (based on how comfortable you are with doing so - and you need to make sure you have contingencies in place - to swap to I/O regardless, since you are in acquisition phase.

You could use debt recycling to reduce the principal on your PPOR if you wish, but regardless - having I/O loans allows for more control over your cashflow, which you want at all times.

Thankyou both for your replies :)

You're welcome!

Mark

My own problem with an IO 100% is that it does not give the option of an offset against the loan (AFAIK). I would have thought that a P&I portion would have kept open the option of having an offset account, with whatever cash may have been available, to be able to give a few more extra options, which might cut down on the interest payment until the next property?

So, assuming I have enough equity in the PPOR is it preferential to:
a) Save 20k, Borrow 20k and buy 40k MF's (20k loan tax deductable)
b) Draw 20k equity, Borrow a further 20k and buy 40k MF's (40k tax deductbale)
?
If my line of thinking is correct, the difference is buying sooner (assuming I can get the equity before the cash) versus larger amount of debt?
:)

It depends on how much risk and leverage you want to take. Remember, if you are using an LOC on your existing PPOR to put into managed funds, then use that MF to get a margin loan - you are in effect doubling your leverage. Whilst this is possible and is good when the fund is doing well, if the MF drops significantly, the loss will be magnified substantially by the amount of gearing you have.

Thanks Steveadl,
I am usually quite conservative by nature, so I would just prefer to save half as cash and use a Margin Loan to double the investment.

Back