My Story

Well, lets give this a try..

After hearing a few of my freinds on here talking about my progress and asking to hear a more detail story i thought id spend a bit of time running through my progress to date.

I find it hard talking about myself as i dont want to sound like a w@anker.

For those who dont know me i am 23, live in sydney and have 9 IP's so far.

Why do i like property and what is my purpose? Well I hate working and as a child I was passionate about property. I come from a family who work too hard and are always under constant stress, and dont enjoy life. I set goals when i was younger and did my numbers on what it would take to retire by the age of 30 (realistically) and that is my goal. I use to think business and all different other ideas, but as we can see now the obvious and easiest busines is property. Why? because its a commoditity, it can be leveraged, and everyone needs shelter, + there can be minimal involvement as time goes on.

How do i do it? I use to be the biggest tight ar5e around, and never spent a cent... i saved good money and was blessed that i have a mental toughness to push myself forward. was anything handed too me? NO. I have bought every property as sole owner, never had any inheritances, the only thing i have been given is the freedom to live @ home in our family home with mum till now which she is rebuilding her life and has left me to maintain the home.

Have i sacrificed anything? yes and no, i have always been conservative with doodads in which i buy and do not waste my money. I have always had brand new cars which i have purchased in cash (no personal loans). I worked hard as a child aswell in family business and bought my first brand new car in year 12 cash, and now on to my 7th car. (reason for the cars is they are tax deductable + when you do the sums say you pay $30 for car new has full rego brakes tyres etc... in a year or 2 you need to spend 3k on rego, breaks, tyres, service, etc... i sell and not inccur that cost and buy another new one for lie 7k extra so only paying small premium to get new car). I have sacrificed a lot of time however doing renos and building on properties, and yes i did work two full time jobs one year to get extra $$ (before i decided to borrow for new purchases), i still take holidays every year, still go get pis5ed on weekends with mates (however when i did renos and built properties i didnt have time for that) and enjoy the other things people my age do.

What do i buy? How do i make it happen?
Well i like to buy in boundaries of cities, and the only city i have ventured is Sydney thus far. I use to only want houses with land, but realised strata properties had their good points too... I currently hold 4 houses, 1 duplex, 4 townhouses/units. 8 of these are out in western sydney and 1 is on central coast. What are my requirements for properties? well i buy stuff in which is 20%+ under current market value, with a yield which is close to neutral cashflow. The positives of strata properties is the OSR landtax is lower as it is chopped up between the other owners, they are generally newer and require less work, and genrally can command a better rent.

Do i pay with LOE or cash and how do i fund new purchases? I use cash for everything, i am very uncomfortable with LOE. I am negatived geared now for my properties around $800pw inc all council strats repairs PM fees, everything. I am blessed to have low living expenses, and nowdays a good job which pays good $ $80-100+pa, but bought first house on $30kpa just after my 18th birthday. For my previous purchases i belived pay down debt, and have cash for deposits, if i did that i wouldnt have got to where i am, is just be paying off my first. Now days its a fair bit harder to save for deposits so i buy property under value settle on it, and redraw top its true value with the 20-40k i get out i go and purchase more property so im recycling debt but have a fairly good LVR coz im buying under market value.

Why property/debt? well with a business they are more volitile, especially in today market 95% businesses are in the red and require manual labour. Because the gold standard was removed from the global monetary policy 30 years ago, we see inflation occouring which has always happend before but mainly in the past on a supply and demand basis, not on a currency basis, but over time debt becomes irrelivent thru inflation, and as long as the cashflow is supporting your debt the underlying asset will increase in real dollar terms. lets look @ this scenario... Mum and dad bought our family home 40 years ago for $13k, dad was probably earning $50 a week, bread was 10 cents, interest rates sky high, and petrol 5c a litre, etc... now the property would be worth $500k, wage would be $1000pw, and inerest rates are lower, and bread is worth $4 a loaf, and petrol worth $1.50 a litre. So as long as we have inflation property with debt will outperform in medium-long term. Now the house that was bought in 1970, would rent for $20k+ pa and the purchase price was $13k if that cost nothing to hold then and they bout 10 of them theyd be earning $4k per week, and have the whole portfolio paid off within 6 months. Property without debt doesnt appear as good investment.

Where to? Well i have a plan of being retired by 30, it is a hard goal to track because in last 6 months the world economy has changed forever, 7 years time is a long time. i do have many factors leaning towards me... (rental increases, interest rates falling, property booms heading towards me, and a massive chunk of centro shares, which may turn good by some chance and clear all my property debt) I plan to be holding around 20 properties by the age of 25.

Summing up, my father had massive heart ataack and died when i was 16, he was 62, and busted his ar5e for 40 years + to not enjoy his life as much as he could have. I wish to give myself the freedom of choice for myself and my family and am committed to my plans today. I wish to be so F*ckin bored i have to decide what to do... play on the jetski or g play golf? i wish to be married wih children, and drive the kids to school and pick them up every day, not put them in school care because i gota work 2 jobs to pay my PPOR. I am not after a ferrari with gold chains, but a lifestyle.

What will i do when i reach my goal or along the way? i odnt know i have planned goals, but they dont always plan out to the way they should... but i invisiage the freedom + travel+ nice luxuries i have been saving myself for, always wanted to be an actor, and educator (not the spruiker type).

I know to some this may sound like a pipe dream, its not, im passionate about this, i am doing it, and people can have their opinions about what i do, i will check in with them @ 30 and say hi at their work.

If there is anyother questions you may have feel free to ask im pretty open person. There lots which i cant think of @ present.

Cheers,
Nath.

Nathan:
I know to some this may sound like a pipe dream, its not, im passionate about this, i am doing it, and people can have their opinions about what i do, i will check in with them @ 30 and say hi at their work.

Sounds like fun to me, good for you Nathan, and well done on everything! :)

Nathan

I envisaged you were in your low twenties from some of posts and celebrate your energy, strategy and some of your nice yields that you often post.....well done.

Thanks for sharing with honesty.......may this be impetus to give some other young (and older) folk here the momentum to go forward and overcome inertia that can often aflict us.

Congratulations on all you have achieved thus far and enjoy the rest of your journey.

One question, if I may, have you entertained IP's interstate at all (or entities) to lessen the land tax impost via cumulative holdings?

Nathan

I envisaged you were in your low twenties from some of posts and celebrate your energy, strategy and some of your nice yields that you often post.....well done.

Thanks for sharing with honesty.......may this be impetus to give some other young (and older) folk here the momentum to go forward and overcome inertia that can often aflict us.

Congratulations on all you have achieved thus far and enjoy the rest of your journey.

One question, if I may, have you entertained IP's interstate at all (or entities) to lessen the land tax impost via cumulative holdings?

I by all means DO not want to answer this q's for nathan, but ill share what I know...

I've asked Nathan the same thing, and one thing I have learnt from him in the short time we have known each other is that the reason he continues to find deals under market is because he literally knows HIS market street by street. There are only a couple of investors in Australia that could say they know Western Sydney as good as him.

To put this into perspective take a drive with nathan around the area and any house that has sold in the last 4-5 years he could tell you when and for how much.

For Nath I think he is only comfortable in investing something he knows so much which is why he continues to invest in the same area, as well as the fact he can visit them quite easily to do any renovations.

But yes hopefully I can twist him arm after this syd boom to look interstate for reasons u mentioned + more (countercyclical growth)

Hi Nathan,

Thanks so much for sharing!! Very inspirational! :D

What's your strategy with finance? Are you finding that an obstacle to trying to purchase more - how do you get around it?

Also, you mentioned buying under market value and then settle and redraw to it's true value - how quickly are you able to do this? Especially in this market, we have found banks to be pretty conservative. When you settle, are the banks valuing your property at purchase price?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Jen

Thanks for posting your story Nathan. I'm enjoying all the questions and answers that emanate from it. The importance of knowing your market cannot be underestimated.

Player, Stu is right with what he is saying, my main reason is i belive sydney market is undervalued, i am local to it for renos and repairs, and comfort zone. I recently had a prop i negotiated over the fone @ ballarat, but return was too low and decided against. I will buy if i feel the numbers work out... i want to exhaust sydney. My market in about 2 years will be QLD and head there... i like to be an expert and unserstand what im buying because i act fast. il exchange 66w (unconditionally) without seeing it and within 1 day to do a deal because i know the market so well.

JenD i used 1 main bank before because i wanted an invite to be a Private Bank customer and they shafted me... I have now since found a great mortgage broke which helps me get deals across the line and which banks can do me what.

As for how quick, paid 234 for house 4/12/07 had reval @ 300 by april this year. Quickest will be 1 i paid 130k for currently doing a reval for 175k 3 days after settlement.

Thanks Nathan and Stu,

I am also a fan of becoming an expert in an area or region, its amenity, demographics, etc and keep following "for sales" and follow up on sold prices. You have invested your time in doing so and you reward is below value purchases.

Nice diversification b/w resi types also.....mix of houses with more dirt, town houses and units.

Ever considered a commercial/industrial asset?

Hi Nathan

Thanks for sharing, congratulations you've done an excellent job and at such a young age...:)

Can you say what type of business you are in and has the current economic climate affected your buying activity or your ability to borrow?

I'd take it easy for a while if I were you.

Cheers

Not keen on comm/industrial, like bread and butter. this market comm can be f*cked, especially if you loose a tenant.

I work now days a 9-5 in advertising industry, but have done various things. Mainly sales.

Current climate hasnt effected me, im chewing a lot off, however believe im in good position. I will buy few more soon, definately 1 more by end of the year to hit 10 :)

Thanks Nathan, l really apreciate that you have taken the time to tell and have been so open.
You have done well to date through your determination and sheer hard work may you be justly rewarded.
I have been lead to believe that Banks would NOT do a reval in such a short period of time.
How did you manage the bank to do this?

cheers
yadreamin

Please dont do the marble thing if you get bored:eek:

hehehe, nah no marble tricks here today ;)

no idea, we were worried about that, but i have had conditional approval pending valuation. the previous val came in on purchase @ 150, i did a paint and carpet and blinds for under 1 grand.

so worse case 150k vall approved, best 175k approved.

Congratulations Nathan.

I watched the hack half hour and thought your responses were great. Would be interesting for you to catch up with the other people in the room in 10 yrs time and see where they are at. Hopefully the squatters haven't moved into one of yours or mine or anyone else's properties on here! The guy who likes to party - he will possibly have a PPOR mortgage with huge school bills to pay and will be out slaving his guts out while you are - well playing golf!

Regards Jason.

You're a true inspiration!

I can't think of any 23 years olds with your goals and who is actually doing it.

actually, can't think of many people any age with your drive. Just a few other people on here.

cant wait to hear about number 20

That's a great story Nathan.

I'm 22 & have the exact same goal. I really respect the fact that you are so dedicated to it & I have no doubt that you will achieve your goal.
keep us updated. Could you also please PM me the details of your mortgage broker? I have one IP that I purchased for $380 000 6 months ago & servicability is my only restriction to purchasing another.

Keep up the good work.

Well done Nathan, you've done very well and i predict you will easily retire by 30 the way you are going
Good_Job.gif

With all the moving of threads going on, i motion that a moderator move this to the "interviews" forum as it's in the same spirit as the other threads in there. Nathan, i have a couple of questions.
GiveBeer1.gif

What are my requirements for properties? well i buy stuff in which is 20%+ under current market value, with a yield which is close to neutral cashflow.

how do you determine if a property is 20% under valued? Is this based on comparable sales or based on the yield?

Do i pay with LOE or cash and how do i fund new purchases? I use cash for everything, i am very uncomfortable with LOE. I am negatived geared now for my properties around $800pw inc all council strats repairs PM fees, everything.

excellent to see that you have a good income to cover the $40k shortfall a year and still have left over for paying cash for stuff like new cars.
Party1.gif

Where to? Well i have a plan of being retired by 30, it is a hard goal to track because in last 6 months the world economy has changed forever, 7 years time is a long time.

what sort of rental income and LVR do you want to achieve before 'retiring'?

Back