My tenant is leaving...

So my tenant apparently told my Property Manager that they are going to leave.

Meanwhile, they are about 3 weeks late in rent so have been issues with a Notice to Vacate.

I'm now thinking (quite strongly) of moving in.

So, is there a good checklist I should follow so that I get maximum money back (haha)

I want to ensure I go to the final inspection so that I can see things for myself prior to releasing the bond, I presume this is OK.

They've been there for almost 3 years and haven't really given me any issues apart from occasional maintenance (repair oven, fix toilet, that's about it).

Apart from the final inspection, anything else I should be thinking about?

Change the locks?

Thanks all! Love this forum!

EDIT: Accidentally posted this as a reply in another thread, when I meant to create a new one. Sorry if this kind of thing has already been asked but I did do a quick search first...

So my tenant apparently told my Property Manager that they are going to leave.

Meanwhile, they are about 3 weeks late in rent so have been issues with a Notice to Vacate.

I'm now thinking (quite strongly) of moving in.

So, is there a good checklist I should follow so that I get maximum money back (haha)

I want to ensure I go to the final inspection so that I can see things for myself prior to releasing the bond, I presume this is OK.

They've been there for almost 3 years and haven't really given me any issues apart from occasional maintenance (repair oven, fix toilet, that's about it).

Apart from the final inspection, anything else I should be thinking about?

Change the locks?

Thanks all! Love this forum!

EDIT: Accidentally posted this as a reply in another thread, when I meant to create a new one. Sorry if this kind of thing has already been asked but I did do a quick search first...

Why not turn up with your PM to do the final inspection and do it with them.

If they're three weeks late in rent - why weren't they issued with a vacate notice last week?

Unless they pay their rent up to date now, there will be nothing left in the bond to cover any maintenance anyhow.

They were issued with the NTV last week. Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

Apparently they are coming in today or tomorrow to the REA office to pay the late rent.

And also apparently they told the REA over the phone that they were still leaving.

So, I already said I wanted to go to the Final Inspection, I was really asking if there's anything else to think of actioning beyond that?

Ah good to hear ... I'd just go with PM and test/check everything ... toilet, taps, walls behind doors, aircon etc.

I know I am going to get told that we should not be dodgy, but one tip before you move in; any "repairs" that need doing get them done now. This could save you thousands of dollars rather than completing them after you move in. It is still an investment property for now.

Repairs are tax deductable in one year as repairs rather than renovation where it is then tax deductable over several years. So whether the tennant is paying for it or not get stuff fixed now.

Now is your last chance to get this stuff done before you live there potentially long term where you will look after your new finishes, and once you move in, you do not have this option where repairs are obviosly paid for post tax on your PPOR.

Why would that be considered "dodgy"? Isn't that just smart...?

It doesn't sound illegal...just sounds like you can maximise what you can claim at tax time...

--

Thanks for replies so far btw.

Back