NAB 15% valuation DROPS - a finance lesson - top up early and often

I am with NAB and about 10 months ago I had all of my properties revalued. The numbers came in good, about what I thought.

As the policy at NAB has been to use valuations that are less than 1 year old, I used these figures to make some investing decisions.

Now, just this week when I went to draw on the equity I have built up, I have found that NAB have changed from an Internal valuation process to using external companies and have mandated a full valuation across on all securities regardless of when the last valuation was done.

My valuations are coming in significantly lower. For example, a 13-15% drop in a median priced Toorak apartment and Narre Warren house. RPData et al don't report a drop anything like that, in fact, the average of all the ~4 major reporting agencies report a 1% rise in Melbourne Metro average last year.

What I believe has happened is the internal valuers at NAB were a little optimistic and the external valuers are ultra conservative. I say ultra conservative because they are suggesting an 'Wakelin's choice' Toorak 2 bedroom apartment has grown $30k on what I paid for in in 2007 FIVE YEARS AGO. The net effect is a ~13-15% drop across the board for my properties.

I am now going to move all of my NAB business to another lender, however as NAB took so damn long (7+ weeks of constant hassling) to arrange these loans I am now due to settle on a property where I need to pull $50k from thin air by Friday! Might have to go speak to the Mafia or something.

A warning for everyone - if you want to lock in your gains draw your loans up now! Consider putting the gains into another bank. I wish I had when I had the valuations.

Hi David

:(

A common story, a common Melbourne story as well, the valuer sentiment is pretty poor, especially in the more premium segment.

Lock nut your finance :)

Borrow money when you dont need it !!

ta
rolf

I am now going to move all of my NAB business to another lender, however as NAB took so damn long (7+ weeks of constant hassling) to arrange these loans I am now due to settle on a property where I need to pull $50k from thin air by Friday!

I have been dealing with the NAB recently and they are f%$^$^en hopeless. I was dealing with a guy for 3 months and kept saying no worries, you will be ok and kept getting knocked back by this head office/reviewers.

Bloody hopeless fools.

I have been dealing with the NAB recently and they are f%$^$^en hopeless.
Bloody hopeless fools.
How very true
I wanted to speak to someone about some new loans. I spoke to a machine that kept wanting an account number when I wasn't even a customer, eventually got through to someone who couldn't help me who put me on hold to speak to someone who could, but I ran out of patience after about 10 minutes on hold.
Figured it'd be to much trouble actually having a loan with them.

A warning for everyone - if you want to lock in your gains draw your loans up now! Consider putting the gains into another bank. I wish I had when I had the valuations.

spot on, always get the cash when u can, decide how u use it later but always grab it when available

Is ATO ok if you get the loan extension and sit on it rather than using it? How do you prove your intended purpose if you don't use it?

Sorry to hear this, sounds like a tough lesson to learn.

I have never gotten a reval done for my properties, and have built up quite a bit of equity, can I ask how people "get the cash"? You mean they will just dish out $100k to me for my PPOR having gone up in value while increasing the loan by $100k? How nice... more spare cash to play with :D

Is ATO ok if you get the loan extension and sit on it rather than using it? How do you prove your intended purpose if you don't use it?

If u dont use it and it sits in a redraw the ATO dont care ................

until you use it there is nil interest payable.

t
arolf

I have never gotten a reval done for my properties, and have built up quite a bit of equity, can I ask how people "get the cash"? You mean they will just dish out $100k to me for my PPOR having gone up in value while increasing the loan by $100k? How nice... more spare cash to play with :D

I must be similar to you Tess.
But you know last year I refinanced 3 low doc loans through an interstate broker and after I asked if they also provide SMSF loans.
The lady said no problem since we know you situation now, how much do you want, a million, she said? Well I need to find the properties first.
It must be just me but I never liked huge investment debts....
And as one of my mentors said, "Never, ever trust the banks!".

David,

Valuations in Melbourne are definitely down, 10-15% is about right in general terms.

Getting valuations done even when you don't need them is the safest approach.

I would caution too against the temptation to move everything over to another bank, maybe move 50% to another major for some diversity of lending policy and future fixed rate offerings.

I'm currently 50% NAB / 50 % WBC, >3 Mill loans.

Getting valuations done even when you don't need them is the safest approach.

Correction - getting valuations AND drawing down the loans!

I had the valuations done (like I do every year), my problem was I didn't increase the loans, draw them down and put the funds into an offset.

I have been dealing with the NAB recently and they are f%$^$^en hopeless. I was dealing with a guy for 3 months and kept saying no worries, you will be ok and kept getting knocked back by this head office/reviewers.

Bloody hopeless fools.

Yes, NAB have really dropped the ball lately. It's funny how they started this 'I'm breaking up with you bank war' yet they are the ones who are losing it.

First they took forever to even get to my loan (I am convinced they just work backwards from the settlement date) and then it's all rush rush at the last minute where I found out about the credit policy change four days prior to settlement. I would not be surprised if this long turnaround has something to do with them off-shoring the loan processing.

Either way, a lot of business coming another banks way.

Valuations in Melbourne are definitely down, 10-15% is about right in general terms.

Now it's time for the valuation 'lucky dip'. CBA and ANZ are revaluing all of my properties (as they will for free) and I will take things from there.

I would caution too against the temptation to move everything over to another bank, maybe move 50% to another major for some diversity of lending policy and future fixed rate offerings.

I agree, once the steam stops pouring out of my ears I will probably keep my HDT properties with NAB as they will be a pain to move and keep some options open. They are already locked in with good rate discounts anyway.

Damn, now I'm going to have multiple internet banking passwords to remember!

Yes, that's it basically (well, they will lend you 80% of your gains (values according to THEIR valuations) with no LMI, 85% for WBC).

The lesson to learn from my scenario is to have your property valued, then the money drawn out and put into an offset.

First they took forever to even get to my loan (I am convinced they just work backwards from the settlement date) and then it's all rush rush at the last minute.

Its the newer thing in bank land after off shoring and out sourcing.

..............Just In time process :)

ta
rolf

Looks like I was lucky then. I just switched my Melbourne property to Homeside/NAB to access equity and I got a very good valuation. I personally think if I sold it today I would struggle to get what my property was valued at. I did put a lot of effort including doing a massive cleanup, making it look like a display home and creating a profile of sales of similar properties which I gave to the evaluator. A lot of the time it can depend on the evaluator.

Back