Naming your house

i am not suggesting to go around and put a name on a house and think thats obviously worth a couple of thousand dollars ,what i am saying is that if the house was named in the past then people will be interested in the name and through this a premium could be asked, after all in the old days there wasnt a number 22,24,26,28 in the street there was a single house that had a name or people knew where you were talking about by the family name
My old town still has no numbers, and you need to describe your house or where it is or who you live next door to. Absolute headache if you wanted electricity or Austar connected, I was constantly being stopped by installers when I was out gardening - my house is on a corner and very recognisable, but those poor suckers in between the corners had troubles. If everyone named their houses in big letters it would be sort of fixed :D

i remember when we built our house we were offered a name plate for the house. I laughed then politely declined. I still giggle a the row upon row of project homes with name plates to make them feel swish. ( sorry if this is you). On a big flash house or a house with history ok. Anything else i think is strange.

our lovely 1920's red brick, return verandah house has a name plate on the front - albeit a fairly modern mirror-backed one. the name suits the fabulous stained glass windows throughout the house and it will just stay when we sell.

would i put it on a post 1930's house? not on your life!

Here's one for you

rnin800l.jpg

Our old PPOR that is now our IP has a name. My ancestor that came out from England in 1848 and was involved in the gold rushes of Maryborough Victoria bought 380 acres of property and called it "Uruga". He later cross bred chooks and called them the same. We can't find the meaning of the word but think it is Aboriginal. I left the name plate there when we moved, don't know why, and at the last inspection I had a rather lengthy discussion with the tenants on its origins. They were quite fascinated.

The house was built in the 20's and has a bit of character so the name plate suits it. Can't confirm it yet but I have been told that the block we sit on was a Cobb & co. staging point on the Melbourne line.

Our old PPOR that is now our IP has a name. My ancestor that came out from England in 1848 and was involved in the gold rushes of Maryborough Victoria bought 380 acres of property and called it "Uruga". He later cross bred chooks and called them the same. We can't find the meaning of the word but think it is Aboriginal.

I would be asking or looking into the family tree side of things for a name (Perhaps backwards),or perhaps a small village in their homeland;)
First letters / names of his family?
Very interesting,did you say the name plate is missing?
If so I personally would be getting one reproduced:eek:

I have a sign that belonged to my greatgrandfather sitting here,(Paradise Farm) he was also the nephew of the bushranger Frederick Ward (Captain Thunderbolt),that name will be used when I purchase a farm down the track.:)

i am not suggesting to go around and put a name on a house and think thats obviously worth a couple of thousand dollars ,what i am saying is that if the house was named in the past then people will be interested in the name and through this a premium could be asked, after all in the old days there wasnt a number 22,24,26,28 in the street there was a single house that had a name or people knew where you were talking about by the family name

So you would pay more for a house because of this?????

So you would pay more for a house because of this?????

if you read my posting i said "a premium COULD be asked "
and if i was to contemplate buying a house with a name plate i would first do due diligence to make sure that it was in fact of some historical significance to warrant a price increase ,and if i was satisfied that that is the case then i cant see any problem in paying for it ,knowing damn well that down the track someone else will see the value and pay accordingly

if you read my posting i said "a premium COULD be asked "
and if i was to contemplate buying a house with a name plate i would first do due diligence to make sure that it was in fact of some historical significance to warrant a price increase ,and if i was satisfied that that is the case then i cant see any problem in paying for it ,knowing damn well that down the track someone else will see the value and pay accordingly

I did read your post. You said a premium could be asked as a seller. I then simply asked if you as a buyer would pay a premium. Very different things I'm sure you will agree. And you have answered that question, thanks.

No name's on any of the parent's houses, instead we use the names of the street.

Although i agree that naming houses seems "wanky" but when a historical house has it, it seems more or less appropriate.

Our first house when married was named, and I believe many houses that are named do carry a premium, not because they are named, but because generally those houses with names were better quality, landmark houses, which would hold their values for that reason, not the fact that they had a name.

I think this is what the earlier poster was meaning by people paying a premium (not for the "name" but because the house was probably one of the original houses in the suburb, generally on the highest point with larger grounds and considerably more substantial than those that came later).

As a buyer I would pay more for such a quality house, whether it had a nameplate or not.

My elder brother owns a house out country on 40 acres and has named it 'Cobbity" because that's where he got married. It seems less wanky being an old house out country. There's a fish shop at Wollongong Harbour called Nonabel, because the owners were from Lebanon.

It seems reasonable to give a heritage type property a name, but hey whatever rocks your boat.

A tad off the topic I realise, but one of my advertising books quotes this supposedly true newspaper Real Estate advert that read in part:-
"Where much love had been lavished on the home that even the numbers were written in French letters" ;)

Hi Turk

They probably call units "Units" over there to save any snickers. Mind you a creative RE Agent could do a lot with a header like 'Buy a Condo in Condom!' Has a nice ring to it. :D

Hi Turk

They probably call units "Units" over there to save any snickers. Mind you a creative RE Agent could do a lot with a header like 'Buy a Condo in Condom!' Has a nice ring to it. :D

I dont name my house but i christend it :)

Oh Men, head out of the gutter for 5 mins please :p

Although anyone on here that know's me in person would say the same thing about me :D

Back