Nathan Birch purchases Australia's Cheapest HOUSE for a petty $8500 in 2010!

Nathan,
Would you care to share the original asking price..or did you just make an offer? Was it listed or did you go looking for the owner.
Looks like this may be your niche.
Congrats

I flicked through the pics (backwards) and was thinking "oh my lord, surely its not that way by vandalism" but as I went through them it dawned on me that it probably is. Wow, how can anyone do that to a property, it doesnt look that old, maybe 10 or 15 years old.

Good on ya Nathan.

Wow Nathan, that's a good find!

Does that sort of thing happen a lot to houses in the area that the house is in?

Is it very far from a major city? What is the population of the town that it's in?

Is the wiring and plumbing still ok?

It looks like a very good buy.

From the photos, I'd guess that the renovation job would be significantly more than $30K. The property needs a new roof, internal walls and ceilings, rewiring, plumbing and pretty much everything else.

I'd be interested to hear what it actually costs when it's done (similarly with the burnt out place).

The video camera in the pictures is a reasonably serious looking piece of kit. Are you recording things for business purposes, or is the media involved?

It looks like a very good buy.

From the photos, I'd guess that the renovation job would be significantly more than $30K. The property needs a new roof, internal walls and ceilings, rewiring, plumbing and pretty much everything else.

I'd be interested to hear what it actually costs when it's done (similarly with the burnt out place).

The video camera in the pictures is a reasonably serious looking piece of kit. Are you recording things for business purposes, or is the media involved?

The camera is for my new TV show I am producing....

The little one I have is for the video diaries...

As for reno I will break it down shortly in exact numbers.

The burnt out house is under way and will come in for under $30k, this one should be 30-35k max.

Alfresco living......

Great job!!

The vendor should have knocked the thing down and sold the land

Agree. It would have appealed more to a person who wanted to build from scratch and, perhaps had a larger target audience.

Nevertheless, another gem for young Nathan, who looks beyond appearances, works his numbers and secures these detonator properties.

As it stands, it does lend itself to alfresco living :p :D

Well done Nathan............always fantastic to hear of your deals. Refreshing to see people like you following their passion and goals. I enjoy reading of your ambitions and even more importantly the fact that you follow them up with actions.

Good luck with the rehab :)

congrats mate, nice house :)..........

this method requires a heap of time and effort to succeed and you have all that in spades.

Great work and I look forward to seeing your success into the future.

awesome purchase mate!!!!

You will be a master in plastering by the end mate!!! Did they have to pull all the insulation out or something? I could believe $30k if you did all your own labour!

Nathan,

Nice work mate, but personally I'd rather just buy that $140K house and rent it out for $220pw. Are you sure you can bring that back to new for only $30K?

My rubberies look a bit like this:

Sparky: $10K
Roof: $5K
Plaster: $10K
Kitchen: $5K
Bathroom: $5K
Plumber: $5K
Floors: $5K
Clean up / Paint: $5K

I'm at $50K and haven't really looked hard. You must have some good trades or tricks with your trades.

Cheers,
Michael

I dont lift my fingers on these.

All labour done independantly.

I have just done an order sheet for the Moree deal and numbers so far on that one are...

Timbers, plumbing, electrical, doors, gyprock, paint, kitchen, bathroom. $10k

Materials needed flooring $2500, Windows $3850.

Expenses thus far

Skips $945

Accomodation for Tradies $600

Ride on mower hire $100

And labour for job is $10000.

This was for a burnt out house, stripped back everything and redo from top to bottom.

It depends how you organise the reno i guess, and where costs can be saved.

If we look @ This deal, the numbers will look similar to this;
Labour $10k
Kitchen modular bunnings pack $798
Stove $549
Roughins (plumbing/electrical) $800-1200
Gyprock/fibro $2000
paint $500
Colourbond roof $3000
Windows $3000
Skips $1000
flooring $2500
Bathroom tiles $400-600
Bathroom toilet/vanity/shower/tapware $700
Doors/door furniture $1400

This is a rough break down of expenses.

There will be many little aditions along the way.

Nath.

Back