Nathan Tinkler

Rather than hijack this thread.

See -

Nathan Tinkler raises eyebrows with latest big foray into coal sector

Mr Tinkler, 38, shocked the market on Wednesday when it emerged his Singapore investment vehicle, Bentley Resources, will buy the Wilkie Creek thermal coalmine in Queensland from Peabody Energy in a deal worth up to $150 million.

The deal includes $US70 million in cash and is backed by other investors, including New York investment bank Leucadia and Jeffries.

But Fairfax Media understands the underbidder for the mine, which has been shut since December and has been on the market for about two years, was only willing to pay as little as $US20 million in cash. There were, at best, just two other bidders.

*** and ***

Former Rich Lister Nathan Tinkler "goes all in" on new coal venture

Nathan Tinkler is back.

The one-time billionaire has made another bet on the coal market, splashing up to $150 million on a shuttered Queensland mine.

But his critics have returned as well, wondering if his latest bet will pay off or end in tears, with the assets ultimately being repossessed, like his Whitehaven Coal stake last year.

Look at guys like Jodee Rich (Imagineering in the 1980's/ One.Tel in the 1990's / early 2000's) and Alan Bond (Bond Corp in the 1980's / Madagascar Oil in the 2000's) (neither of whom are poor, I am sure) - but they've been up and down and up and down again.

Does Tinkler go down the same path?

Crash and Burn (and take everyone else with them) v. 2.0?

Or is this the phoenix from the ashes....?

Whatever happens, this will be interesting.....

Last edited:
Nathan Tinkler is an interesting character but I hope he has learnt some lessons from his past . I remember some one from the four corners program a while back describing him as living his life out at the end of the rope .

Will be interesting to see what happens .

He's just a clown with too much money.
A fool and his money will soon be parted.

Can't be much of a clown or fool to get that sort of money in the first place? I don't think he got his money from daddy-o like Packer did. I also think he might be a phoenix rising from the ashes.

:D
Absolutely no fundamentals in this investment except punting on coal prices.

Probably right.

He bet big...and won big....and lost big...and he might get it all back.

Speculation...something a lot of investors seems to do.

However, who dares wins.

Might make a good film one day.

Another week another deal....

Nathan Tinkler sells Patinack Farm

Nathan Tinkler may have received as little as $100 million for his thoroughbred racing and breeding operation, Patinack Farm, after sinking $500 million into the operation since its inception in 2007.

Tinkler has reached an agreement to sell Patinack for an undisclosed sum to a consortium of ??overseas parties from the Middle East.??

A statement from his group said the sale, which will be on a "walk in, walk out" basis, was negotiated by UAE based investment firm Cibola Capital. As well as negotiating the sale, Cibola has taken a stake in Patinak and is the only new owner who has been identified.

''Sale contracts have been exchanged and the transaction will be completed in the coming weeks,'' the Tinkler Group said.

"I am extremely pleased to agree the sale of Patinack Farm to an ambitious group who will continue to build on the foundations we have laid over the last six years,'' said Mr Tinkler in a prepared statement.

''I am also satisfied that the investment I have made into the Patinack Farm facilities and bloodlines will continue and that Patinack staff will be offered employment.''

Mr Tinkler's financial difficulties has lead to late payment of staff wages both at Patinack, and more recently the Newscastle Knights. The Tinkler Group has said that all Patinak employees will receive any wages owed to them by this week.

His failure to provide a bank guarantee means the Knights Members Club is entitled to buy the club back from the former billionaire for $1.

Tinkler indicated that the Patinak sale will allow him to focus his dwindling resources on the business where he made his fortune mining.

"As I now reside overseas and my focus is on our core operations in resources and mining, I am pleased to secure new owners who will take this project forward. The sale will allow further capital to be used in the development of our existing operations" he said.

Last week, Tinkler purchased Peabody Energy's Wilkie Creek mine in Queensland for $150 million.

It isnt tall poppy syndrome at all and something i've never suffered from.

Him being thought a clown isnt out of jealousy, its out of him actually being a clown.

Dave,

Don't be a plonker. You're in absolutely no position whatsoever to pass judgement on Mr Tinkler and his activities, neither for that matter is the original poster.

No-one on this forum would have the remotest clue as to what it takes to achieve Tinkler's success. Sit back quietly and observe if you can.

Your ramblings about things you know nothing about is embarrassing.

Mr Fabulous called it for what it was. TPS 100%.

It's disappointing that the Newcastle Knights are suffering and staff aren't getting paid on time, but hopefully he can get the Wilkie Creek mine re-opened and create some coal jobs for folks around Dalby.

I wouldn't have the faintest idea exactly how he makes his money, except his first deal, nor do I care

But one thing I do know is these sort of guys, will make a squillion dollars at the drop of hat by buying/selling/trading business/companies/resources. Etc. Etc
But when they fall, they take people around them down, and file for bankruptcy while still protecting their assets, and will be at it again in a short period

That doesn't sit well with me

TNT, some do time in the big house for their sins, others scarpe to an idealic holiday resort to live out their lives

TNT, some do time in the big house for their sins, others scarpe to an idealic holiday resort to live out their lives

Like Alan bond????

He went bankrupt and went to jail, and walked out of jail, and put together a million dollar deal with some over seas mine

broke my butt!!!

Like Alan bond????

He went bankrupt and went to jail, and walked out of jail, and put together a million dollar deal with some over seas mine

broke my butt!!!

3 years for a $1.2billion fraud was a sweet deal, not many people could swing a jail sentence for fraud equal to around $1million per day in custody.

Back