Need new digital camera

Hi all,

Our camera has recently died, and we need to replace it. As we live in the middle of nowhere, I will have to buy it online, and I'm having trouble sifting through the multitude of cameras available - and am struggling to buy something without having the physical camera to look at and play with in the shop. I am hoping people may be able give some recommendations.

Our last camera was a Kodak 3.1MP DX6340 (about 5yrs old now) and while I was very happy with it, there are some things I would like to improve. So far this is my criteria
  • Li-Ion rechargeable battery - that you plug into the wall, not a battery charger...
  • Fast shutter speed..some friends cameras that I have borrowed seem to have a long delay after pressing the button..very frustrating.
  • Straight foward to use - point and shoot
  • Not to big or tiny (or I will lose it!)
  • Decent brand
  • Less than $300ish online

Thats about it...so far. Any thoughts?

Nadia

You want a re-chargable battery that is in the camera? Why ? I prefer the AA type. When they go flat you can quickly change the batteries and you are away shooting. Then you can just charge the batteries in the car or on a mains charger.

Make sure you get a camera with a view finder. There was a post here a few weeks ago about digital cameras. Useless camera I think:confused:

Gee Cee

Mine is a Canon Powershot A720 bought earlier this year. Very happy with it and it's around your budget. The shutter delay isn't too bad but not instantaneous either - for action shots a more expensive camera might be better. Has a viewfinder.

I agree with Gee Cee re batteries; ones that take 2xAAs are better and you're not locked to a possibly hard to get battery pack when it needs replacing. Coles/Woolworths sometimes have 4 NiMH batteries & charger on special for $20 - these are good. Or for infrequent use AA-size lithiums are the go.

Peter

Thanks for the replies...
My last camera takes AA batteries, and I have a charger to recharge recharable batteries, but invariable they run out at a bad time, and I never seem to have any replacements on me at the time. I have also found the batts dont last very long at all. It drove me crazy!!
My SIL has a camera with a rechargeable battery pack and swears by it, she has only had to replace it once in 2 yrs, and it was $40. All of the cheaper cameras seem to take AAs and the more $$ ones have a rechargeble Li-battery...

Yep, add viewfinder to the list...I didnt realise you got a camera without one!!

Keep the tips coming!
Nadia

Nards

Everyone has different requirements. Sometimes without realising what all the requirements are.

My requirements (three years ago) were:
.10 times optical zoom
.8MP picture
.Not having to change lenses.
.Having macro capability (ie, close ups)
.Being able to overide manual settings when reuired- though relying 96% on automatic settings (digital cameras give an instant feedback, so if the picture is wrong, and you have time to correct it, you know how to make a e\better picture quickly).
.The price was right (at the time).

I bought a Fuji Finepix which suited all of those requirements. For Me.

Two years later, it still does well.

Newer cameras have more features, and are much better. For 30% of the price I bought mine.

But there's not enough in a newer camera (yet) to tempt me.

The dpreview site that Tizzy gave you is very good. I spent a lot of time there.

But also talk to people who have used the camera you are interested in, to see if they really like to use it.

Ok, have been looking at http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au , and have come up with the following two cameras....

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150 Digital Camera - 8.1 Megapixel
Canon Ixus 85 IS Digital Camera - 10 Megapixel

Unfortunately, neither of them seem to have reviews on the review site given above (maybe they are too cheap?? The are both around RRP $320).

Anyone have one of these cameras?

Nadia

PS Am amazed to notice how many cameras have no viewfinder!! Thanks for the heads-up Tizzy! :D

I just bought a Canon Ixus 80 IS for a replacement of our 4 year old Sony Cybershot because we were frustrated with the delay when taking a picture that was using the flash.

So far its taken good pictures, has been easy to use, has decent features, has a viewfinder and is quite small and stylish (a wife requirement). The battery life also seems good.

If what you're after is something for quick and simple happy snaps I'd recommend it. Lack of optical zoom is a bit frustrating but its the sacrifice you make for keeping the size down.
I'm guessing the Ixus 85 IS is pretty similar overall with a couple of extra features.

Hi all,

Our camera has recently died, and we need to replace it. As we live in the middle of nowhere, I will have to buy it online, and I'm having trouble sifting through the multitude of cameras available - and am struggling to buy something without having the physical camera to look at and play with in the shop. I am hoping people may be able give some recommendations.

Our last camera was a Kodak 3.1MP DX6340 (about 5yrs old now) and while I was very happy with it, there are some things I would like to improve. So far this is my criteria
  • Li-Ion rechargeable battery - that you plug into the wall, not a battery charger...
  • Fast shutter speed..some friends cameras that I have borrowed seem to have a long delay after pressing the button..very frustrating.
  • Straight foward to use - point and shoot
  • Not to big or tiny (or I will lose it!)
  • Decent brand
  • Less than $300ish online

Thats about it...so far. Any thoughts?

Nadia

checkout china vasion they have some good cameras under

$300 I have sold quite a few of them over here;)

Have a Canon PowerShot sx100 IS...had a Panasonic Lumix TZ1 before that. canon is a 2 x AA batteries, (lithium-longer) job, the lumix a recharge. Both point and shoots, I'm not a fiddler with techie stuff, just wack it on auto and fire away...

Always, always keep a couple of spare lithiums in camera bag...not noticed any frustration with either or power supply. Tend to lose track of time tho':)

Canon is quicker (perhaps not all of cameras quickest) of shutter, lumix was quite slow.

Hindsight: Prefer the canon, much nicer camera, and to my eye taking better pics...but lumix was good too, (dearer). Canon was $300 something or other...lumix $400+

I have had two Canon Ixuses over the last 6 years and would recommend them as great little cameras.

With all cameras, if you have the fancy infrared focusing feature turned on, there can be a delay on shutter but this is easily solved by half-pressing the button to focus and then waiting for the photo opportunity. It is instantaneous then.

Back