Need to remove this pipe? help

Any sydney siders wanna come and have some fun with me on Sat morning cutting the pipe :D Ill supply breakfast lol or a beer if you like em before 10

:D

I can see it now...

news.com.au 'Man, 27 dies during DIY gone horribly wrong. Government wants to enforce safety permits on owner builders doing renos'

LOL

I'm doing it on Saturday morning, I know the suspense is all killing you. Ill use a hacksaw, with the water on and ill stand on a rubber mat :)

Its kinda fun! :D

yeah, start cutting from the underside with the water on,
when you get to about half way turn the water off, put a couple of cement blocks 50cm away on either side of the cut and then step on it with all your weight.
It will snap and it will be fun...:D

It's not far from my place. 'll go along to watch and report back in case Kris doesn't make it through the operation.
The local SES, firies and police aren't far from that house. I'll drop in and tip them off on my way.
Scott

240 volts across the privates

If cutting below. Then standing on to snap the pipe from above. Please wear rubber boots . If that pipe is alive you could have 240volts leg to leg . Right across the sexual harrasment area:D

Who would have thought a old pipe could be so much fun:p

Whatta you guys gunna do when Saturday comes and........ silence!!! No comment or follow up at all:)

S'pose you could start a thread on what might have happened...... What do you guys really do with your spare time huh? :)

I'm waiting with baited breath,

Pud

OK, am waiting with baited breathe.....
I'm waiting with baited breath
At the risk of taking this thread off-topic (until we find out on Saturday), the correct term is "bated".
How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about
changing light bulbs

5 to flame the spell checkers

3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
Now, I am ready for the flames but I have references:D
NY times said:
In bated breath, we have a clear-cut case of widespread misspelling. It's no controversy; forget baiting unless you're fishing or taunting.
Phrases said:
Bated is just a shortened form of abated (meaning - to bring down, lower or depress). So, 'abated breath' makes sense and that's where the phrase comes from.
American Hertiage Dictionary said:
"The word baited is sometimes incorrectly substituted for the etymologically correct but unfamiliar word bated ('abated; suspended') in the expression bated breath."

"What's the basis of bated, which we never hear in the present tense? It is a clip of abate, from the Old French abattre, 'to beat down,' and now it means 'to moderate, subside, reduce, ebb.' In connection with breathing, it means 'shorten' or 'hold.' When you abate your breath, you hold it in anticipation of some breathtaking event.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bated-breath.html

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C01EFDE1731F936A35756C0A9649C8B63

http://grammar.about.com/od/alightersideofwriting/a/baitedgloss.htm

This ends the English lesson for today:p

I'm going to be in Marrickville on Saturday. See you there. :D

It's not far from my place. 'll go along to watch and report back in case Kris doesn't make it through the operation.
The local SES, firies and police aren't far from that house. I'll drop in and tip them off on my way.
Scott

At the risk of taking this thread off-topic (until we find out on Saturday), the correct term is "bated". Now, I am ready for the flames but I have references:D
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bated-breath.html

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C01EFDE1731F936A35756C0A9649C8B63

http://grammar.about.com/od/alightersideofwriting/a/baitedgloss.htm

This ends the English lesson for today:p

So, for the conservative yo yo ma :p:

BATED BREATH
[Q] From Steve Gearhart: “Where does the term baited breath come from, as in: ‘I am waiting with baited breath for your answer’?”

[A] The correct spelling is actually bated breath but it’s so common these days to see it written as baited breath that there’s every chance that it will soon become the usual form, to the disgust of conservative speakers and the confusion of dictionary writers. Examples in newspapers and magazines are legion; this one appeared in the Daily Mirror on 12 April 2003: “She hasn’t responded yet but Michael is waiting with baited breath”.

It’s easy to mock, but there’s a real problem here. Bated and baited sound the same and we no longer use bated (let alone the verb to bate), outside this one set phrase, which has become an idiom. Confusion is almost inevitable. Bated here is a contraction of abated through loss of the unstressed first vowel (a process called aphesis); it means “reduced, lessened, lowered in force”. So bated breath refers to a state in which you almost stop breathing as a result of some strong emotion, such as terror or awe.

Shakespeare is the first writer known to use it, in The Merchant of Venice, in which Shylock says to Antonio: “Shall I bend low and, in a bondman’s key, / With bated breath and whisp’ring humbleness, / Say this ...”. Nearly three centuries later, Mark Twain employed it in Tom Sawyer: “Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale”.

For those who know the older spelling or who stop to consider the matter, baited breath evokes an incongruous image; Geoffrey Taylor humorously (and consciously) captured it in verse in his poem Cruel Clever Cat:

Sally, having swallowed cheese,
Directs down holes the scented breeze,
Enticing thus with baited breath
Nice mice to an untimely death.
[I’m indebted to Rainer Thonnes for telling me about this little ditty, which appears in an anthology called Catscript, edited by Marie Angel. However, it was first published in 1933 in a limited edition of Geoffrey Taylor’s poems entitled A Dash of Garlic.]

CUT CUT CUT CUT!!!

Bugga Saturday, just get out there and cut the bl@@dy thing! :D

And I do want a video. Set the camera up on a tripod, a fair distance away so even if you have a massive explosion it doesn't destroy the camera and trash the evidence. If its really pyrotechnic then you'll probably make $500 by sending it to funniest home videos too!

Shame I'm the wrong side of the harbour or I'd come round for the show. Should be fun. :D

Cheers,
Michael

Back