Negative gearing costs other taxpayers $13b

The anti-carb thing is a bit of nonsense IMO. There's nothing wrong with having a serving of rice or pasta with a meal and it's certainly not going to make you fat. There are plenty of countries around the world where they are a staple part of the diet and obesity is comparitively very low.

The worst "fat" is alcohol by far. Not only is it very difficult for your body to burn the calories of but it also inhibits calorie burning overall meaning you have to be much more active to get the same result. 3 glasses of wine (actual glasses not those soup-sized glasses that are popular now) = a large steak. And it'll take much longer to burn off than the latter.

For some reason alcohol is often left out of the discussion on obesity. It seems more glamorous to put the blame on pasta, take-away food or chocolate etc.

The anti-carb thing is a bit of nonsense IMO. There's nothing wrong with having a serving of rice or pasta with a meal and it's certainly not going to make you fat. There are plenty of countries around the world where they are a staple part of the diet and obesity is comparitively very low.

The worst "fat" is alcohol by far. Not only is it very difficult for your body to burn the calories of but it also inhibits calorie burning overall meaning you have to be much more active to get the same result. 3 glasses of wine (actual glasses not those soup-sized glasses that are popular now) = a large steak. And it'll take much longer to burn off than the latter.

For some reason alcohol is often left out of the discussion on obesity. It seems more glamorous to put the blame on pasta, take-away food or chocolate etc.

Agreed with the alcohol comment. Yet, bread/pasta are the fast food of the past, it is a quick and lazy way to make a 'healthy' meal.

The breads we eat these days aren't like before, they are heavily processed and frankly, we eat a lot of it. 2 slices for breakfast/or a bowl of cereal, then for lunch a sandwhich, perhaps a biscuit/croisant for morning/afternoon tea. So on and so forth, mixed with no exercise.

Frankly it's about a balanced lifestyle, eat plenty of vegetables, some fruit, eat only when you're hungry and be active. If you want to loose weight, lift something heavy for a while, muscle is the best fat burner. Running will slim you down, but not neccessarily help you loose weight.

I'm not a dietician or personal trainer, everyone welcome to rip this post apart, would love to learn more about this. (Probably should start a new thread).

I have heard one actuary's proposition:
"Tax ALL people and entities 10% each and disallow ALL expenses" - I presume on all gross income????:confused:
It seems very simplistic but what do you think, would it generate enough to sustain the government revenues and expenses?
Do we have some economists here who could predict the end result (surplus or deficit?)

Hockey eyes end of negative gearing

Joe Hockey's tax review could pave the way to end the $13 billion a year tax break 1.2 million Australians claim on investment properties.

The coalition has promised a white paper on tax reform if it wins office and the shadow treasurer confirmed yesterday this could include a look at negative gearing.

Mr Hockey has already opened the way for a GST rate and coverage rethink, though he said the States would have to drive any change.

Previous attempts to wind back negative gearing were met with political pain.

Negative gearing is a misinformed debate.

a) Negative gearing is only useful because I pay 46.5% taxes. Slash the tax rates to be in line with other booming economies with 2% unemployment rate like Singapore and Hong Kong, and there'll be no incentive to use negative gearing

b) I'm happy to see negative gearing go if I don't pay stamp duty also. What exactly is the purpose of stamp duty? The cost of stamping a piece of paper?

c) The NBN is costing some $100bn and I still haven't even seen it. Who cares about $13bn?

b) I'm happy to see negative gearing go if I don't pay stamp duty also. What exactly is the purpose of stamp duty? The cost of stamping a piece of paper?

What's the purpose of any tax? To collect revenue for govts and/or change behaviour.

We tax fags heavily to raise revenue but to more importantly make smoking unattractive.

Back