Negative gearing: is it worth $3.9 billion of tax breaks?

From the SMH

Negative gearing: is it worth $3.9 billion of tax breaks?
Negative gearing may be a better way to offset cellulite than property investments. It's kind of like having your cake and eating it too - "Hmm, if I can't make money by being a rich property mogul right now, at least I can reduce my income tax and keep my fingers crossed that I'll make money in the future."

Australian negative gearing and Capital Gains Tax laws are complex, but there is little doubt property investors take great comfort in claiming any losses against their tax. So much so, that in the 2004-05 tax year, the Australian public said ta-ta to $3.9 billion worth of deductions for rental property investors.

In today's slower property market, that tax break is possibly the only thing allowing property investors to sleep at night. Oh, and the knowledge that only 50% of future capital gains will be subject to tax, thanks to Peter Costello's 1999 changes which some experts believed added fuel to the pre-2003 property boom.

Today's news of the Reserve Bank warning of inevitable rent increases and The Age's economics editor Tim Colebatch compelling story on the distortion negative gearing gives to home prices, we have to ask ourselves -- do Australians really want negative gearing?

Full Story

Given that vacancy rates are < 2% across pretty much all capital cities, getting rid of negative gearing would have dire consequences.... Wonder if the SMH journalist thought about what would happen if it was abolished? I doubt it, just another excuse to have a go at property investors.

Grimey

running at around 1.2% in newcastle. i gather uni students are still scrambling to find anything to live in - perhaps i should rent out the dog kennel?

Tough. The govt actively made buying investment properties a good tax break. As a result, rents have been low while property prices went up. In any case, the current situation is NOT dominated by people who have multiple properties. It's about thousands of mum and pop investors who bought ONE IP.

In the same way, excess consumption is not because of a small number of people buying Ferraris, but many people buying ipods and cocktails.

Ah well. They can bleat all they want. We sit back and enjoy the fruits of our labours (the saving, the reading, actually DOING something for our futures instead of drinking it).
Alex

Tough. The govt actively made buying investment properties a good tax break. As a result, rents have been low while property prices went up. In any case, the current situation is NOT dominated by people who have multiple properties. It's about thousands of mum and pop investors who bought ONE IP.

Ah well. They can bleat all they want. We sit back and enjoy the fruits of our labours (the saving, the reading, actually DOING something for our futures instead of drinking it).
Alex

We actually aren't enjoying enough fruit
the rents are TOO LOW considering today's property prices.
More and more investors are leaving the property markets daily
moving their funds into shares or super.
At the same time, many homeowners can't keep up with mortgage
repayments so they have to sell and rent.
Rental shortages are real and are only going to get worse.
I believe tax breaks are required to assist homeowners with their PPOR mortgages
and we investors we will need further incentives to convince
us to buy more properties.
Negative gearing is not enough, they could start by removing Land Tax
and stamp duty. Failure to act means that the rents will rise big time.
cheers

I believe tax breaks are required to assist homeowners with their PPOR mortgages

A tax break would just go straight into increasing the price of a house. this would drop yields further. Just like the first home owners grant did. Negative gearing is already a tax break. I want prices to drop further so I can cash in my shares and move to property.

See ya's.

I want prices to drop further so I can cash in my shares and move to property.

See ya's.

I guess many of us want prices to fall further (so that we buy more IP's...hehe)
Good thinking selling your shares though, but the difficulty is getting the
timing right as shares are still getting some good gains.
Cheers

What the govt SHOULD do, is give tax breaks, for example, to developers to build low-income housing. I was just reading about this LA development where rent will be subsidised for low-income earners. However, it involved a lot of tax forgiveness to the developer.

This will increase housing supply and keep rents in check. However, the shortfall will have to be made up by the govt.

With the govt bleating on and on about how they've paid back the govt debt while cutting taxes, where is the money going to come from?
Alex

What the govt SHOULD do, is give tax breaks, for example, to developers to build low-income housing. I was just reading about this LA development where rent will be subsidised for low-income earners. However, it involved a lot of tax forgiveness to the developer.

This will increase housing supply and keep rents in check. However, the shortfall will have to be made up by the govt.
Alex

The problem with this idea is that we will have large concentrations
of low income people in one area.
This creates housing commision type communities with problems.
Better to give the tax break to us I think and we will buy more IP's...:D
cheers

The problem with this idea is that we will have large concentrations
of low income people in one area.
This creates housing commision type communities with problems.
Better to give the tax break to us I think and we will buy more IP's...:D
cheers

Ah, that was the interesting thing about that LA development. SOME units will be subsidised. Some (especially the penthouse ones) will be full price. These are designed by a famous architect and will, I suppose, be a nice place. I don't think they were considering really low income people: more police, nurses, teachers, council workers, etc.

Since the US allows interest deductions on PPOR, it seems there are fewer mum and pop investors. Reading the US books, it seems that they tend to talk about buying duplexes, buildings, etc. Very few talk about buying single units like we do in Oz. Yields tend to be higher because, I would imagine, you don't have hordes of mum and pop investors buying one IP each to drive up the price. Also because of the size of the market, you have more big residential investors (imagine someone owning the whole Docklands development in Melbourne, for example).
Alex

Most other solutions will either increase prices further (e.g. by giving PPOR owners interest deductions) or drive rents higher (e.g. by axing -ve gearing).

Surely rents have been far too low for many years. Time for them to catch up.
Alex

I'm just going through the vitrol-laden comments on that article now.

You know what the most ironic part is? People who own multiple IPs are in the extreme minority. Fact is, most of that $3.9b is being claimed a couple k at a time by mum and dad investors who own 1 IP and will never own more than 1 IP. Most don't even understand the significance of 'claim non-cash depreciation at your marginal rate now and only pay 1/2 your marginal tax in the future' and just give receipts to their (equally clueless) accountant.

These are usually just ordinary people who wanted to fund their own retirement, but they're being tarred with the same brush (as, well, us, if you believe accept the SMH line that we're tax cheats!). Betcha they're feeling the heat at bbqs across the country especially now that rents are rising! For me, tar away! Everything I do is legal: if people don't like it tell the pollies to change the law. Go ahead and eliminate negative gearing! It'll drive investors who bought at the peak into the ground, and we can pick up the properties, AND watch rents jump.
Alex

I'm just going through the vitrol-laden comments on that article now.

You know what the most ironic part is? People who own multiple IPs are in the extreme minority. Fact is, most of that $3.9b is being claimed a couple k at a time by mum and dad investors who own 1 IP and will never own more than 1 IP. Most don't even understand the significance of 'claim non-cash depreciation at your marginal rate now and only pay 1/2 your marginal tax in the future' and just give receipts to their (equally clueless) accountant.

These are usually just ordinary people who wanted to fund their own retirement, but they're being tarred with the same brush (as, well, us, if you believe accept the SMH line that we're tax cheats!). Betcha they're feeling the heat at bbqs across the country especially now that rents are rising! For me, tar away! Everything I do is legal: if people don't like it tell the pollies to change the law. Go ahead and eliminate negative gearing! It'll drive investors who bought at the peak into the ground, and we can pick up the properties, AND watch rents jump.
Alex

Getting very worked up there Alex :)

Seriously though, what pisses me off about this is that people refuse to analyse the taxation treatment of property in the same manner that they do other asset classes (ie. businesses and hence also shares).

Property is already taxed more heavily than other asset classes (stamp duty, land tax, etc) - the very least is that it gets the same treatment (ie expenses incurred in generating an income are deductible) as shares, business assets, etc...

If they scrap negative gearing for property it would be inconsistent with the treatment of other asset classes.

As a young(er) person I was surprised when studying tax law during my law degree how recently many "fundamental" tax rules were put in place and how often they have been changed.

As this asset class touches the (ignorant) "masses" it gets the scruting of the (stupid) mass media whereas other areas of tax law are left unexamined.

Most other solutions will either increase prices further (e.g. by giving PPOR owners interest deductions) or drive rents higher (e.g. by axing -ve gearing).

Surely rents have been far too low for many years. Time for them to catch up.
Alex

Compare rental return growth with dividend growth in the All Ordinaries over the last 10 years. Massive difference.

Back