Negative or Positive Gearing (the old Chestnut)

I am still coming to terms with both sides of this fence.

I have already established that a negative cashflow property can be positively geared after non-cash deductions (depreciation) are taken into account.

For the sake of argument and comparing apples to apples, the comparison of positive and negative situations needs to be made on a fully funded investment. We all know we can make any negative cashflow property positive cashflow by throwing in enough deposit.

The positive cashflow proponents suggest PC is great because you earn money from day one. That's fine, I happen to agree to that.

The negative cashflow proponents suggest you get the Taxman to pay off [part of] your property. But this is a case of spending $1 to make back 50 cents, which no matter way one looks at it, is pretty dumb in itself.

I have read Steve McKnight's web site where he says negative gearing is paying out today in the hope of earning capital growth in the future. I agree that makes good logical sense.

But does anyone have any examples where reasonable property (eg. any capital city) has not risen in value by an appreciable level over an extended period of 15+ years? Actually, does anyone have long term median property growth figures for capital cities?

Therefore, is Steve McKnight's principle more fearmongering that reality? (I ask this question with the greatest respect for Steve).

There is no doubt negative gearing relies on positive capital growth.

One thing which has become apparent to me is that to evaluate the numbers for a negatively geared property, one cannot be so negatively geared that you have no chance of beating capital growth.

Obviously the lower your expectation of capital growth, the smaller the "holding cost" must be for you to ever come out ahead.

The above might a dumb comment, but I guess I have been searching for some way of knowing whether a negative deal property is even close to possibly being a winner.

Onto another topic, elsewhere on this forum was a good comment concerning cashflow positive properties which asks the question "Why someone would choose to pay more in rent than buying the place themselves?".

Apart from the obvious difference in loan structure (IO for investments using P&I for PPOR), I think this is a very good question.

How do we arise at this situation where someone is prepared to willingly spend more money in rent than buying the place? Are we talking a particular demographic. Is the real estate which gives us this better or worse to other real estate. The Cap Growth implications? Desirability?

A friend of mine the other day purchased a unit but he said to me in all likelihood he will pull out whilst these is still a reasonable yield, because he thinks the only purchaser likely to purchase this unit will be another investor, and the numbers still need to look attractive to the next purchaser in order that he can sell easily. Does this bear any realistic consideration (this was 48-unit development with Body Corporate and swimming pool).

Thanks in advance for your views.

Kevin.

Hi Kevin

Phew! A lot of questions. I will attempt to respond in part.

Most property returns will have two parts - yield (rent) and growth (capital appreciation).

Whether either or both of these are a gamble will depend upon your knowledge and outlook.

If an area has shown consistant 10% capital growth over the past 30 years it might be reasonable to expect that to continue. In this case you may be willing to carry a loss (yield less than expenses) believing that growth with follow. If you paid say 3K per year and received 30K back you might be happy with that.

Of course it is also possible that you will pay out 3K and see no or negative growth. Or maybe close to flat growth for some years.

In this example the capital growth might be 10% and the rental yield 5%. Overall you could say you return is 15%. Assuming of course your predictions are right.

With cash flow properties the numbers might often appear in reverse. You might be getting 5% capital growth and 10% yield. Of course you are again assuming that these returns will continue. It is possible to buy a cash flow ip with a supposed 10% rental return only to discover that the rents are seasonal, the maintenance is sky high and the annual return is less than 8%.

I think that confidence and success with either rental yield or capital gains comes down to your personal knowledge, ability to manage the property and prediction of future trends.

Jan Somers covers this overall return theory in her latest book.

The holy grail that most are searching for are those ips which produce both high rental return and high capital growth. Way to go!

I was curious about your following question

"Onto another topic, elsewhere on this forum was a good comment concerning cashflow positive properties which asks the question "Why someone would choose to pay more in rent than buying the place themselves?"."

Having experince with a number of tenants who have made this choice I don't find this surprising. Even those who can come up with a deposit and qualify for a house loan many do not choose between renting and buying on financial consideration alone.

People who rent may do so because

they see renting as being freer

they own property but prefer to live elsewhere

they require short to medium term accomodation only and see buying an reselling as both an unneccessary expense and hassle

they prefer to invest their money elsewhere such as in business, shares or gee just enjoying life

they thrive on instant gratification and would prefer the latest TV than a place to call home

they are fearful of debt

I could go on but I suspect that you have already fallen asleep :eek:)

Hope my rambling helped in soem way.

Originally posted by Kevmeister
I am still coming to terms with both sides of this fence.

Onto another topic, elsewhere on this forum was a good comment concerning cashflow positive properties which asks the question "Why someone would choose to pay more in rent than buying the place themselves?".

Apart from the obvious difference in loan structure (IO for investments using P&I for PPOR), I think this is a very good question.

How do we arise at this situation where someone is prepared to willingly spend more money in rent than buying the place? Are we talking a particular demographic. Is the real estate which gives us this better or worse to other real estate. The Cap Growth implications? Desirability?

Kevin.

It's a lifestyle thing I think. No trendy unit which I'm prepared to live in would meet my INVESTMENT criteria. My lifestyle prerequisites are vastly different from what makes something a good deal for me from a financial perspective.

Any place I'd be prepared to live in straight away invariably has:

a) no renovation potential; and
b) rental yield too low - which is just another way of saying Overpriced!

On my own sums, renting a trendy apartment in a suburb close to town costs me far less than buying such a place. Generally the rates and body corporate fees are substantial. I'd be surprised if my landlord is making 4% at the moment...But I think that even if it cost slightly more on comparison I'd still rent becuase I can invest my capital elsewhere for higher returns - I'd rather rent where I like to live and invest where I can make some money!

Of course for the undisciplined the "forced" saving of buying your PPOR can be helpful...but it would just be too great a loss of opportunity for me to tie up my money in buying a PPOR to fit my lifestyle but which is a mediocre performing asset.

But - horses for courses of course!

Cheers
N.

Hi Kev,

One answer to the question, "Why would anyone pay more in rent than the cost to buy the same premesis?"

A few years ago, my wife and I went to Sydney to live and we knew that we would return to Perth within a couple of years.

We wanted an apartment that was walking distance to the city and partly furnished and managed to find a apartment in Pyrmont with a fridge and washing machine that suited our needs for a reasonable rent.

If you added the purchase, holding and selling costs, they would have been far in excess of any excess rent we would have paid. This does not take into account the trials and tribulations involved in buying and selling in an area that you have no knowledge of and no contacts.

Renting is a good choice for some people and that is why there will always be people happy to pay a bit more for properties that are in good locations that are modern and well kept.

Glenn

I have already established that a negative cashflow property can be positively geared after non-cash deductions (depreciation) are taken into account.

Once you have a negative cashflow then non-cash deductions will increase the amount you are negatively geared by.

However a positive cashflow property can be negatively geared after non-cash deductions (depreciation) are taken into account.

??

Dave-UK

Hi,

The idea that high yields = low CG and high CG = low yields is where the concept of a "wealth wheel" (from Brad Sugars?) comes into play. Basically the concept is that you hold 4 +ve cashflow properties and one -ve IP. The yields from the +ve props are used to pay for the losses incurred for holding the -ve prop so you aren't forking out your "own" money. A good way of getting "the holy grail" of both high yields and high CG.

Cheers
Chris

Back