Negotiating after B&P

Maybe best to steer clear of auctions from now on MsAli given you bid more than you wanted to pay.

Seems to me West Syd is overvalued now if s-holes like that go for 220+ :eek:

I dont think there is any problem with asking for a discount based on inspection, or asking for the problem to be fixed.

I have a problem with saying it is the bank that is asking you to do that....... I guess I've never seen a valuer/bank come back and give specific building issues. So, to me as a vendor, it would just seem that you are full of it .... I would immediately discount your request because its fairly clear that you are not being honest.

I think you are far better off being up front and saying that the problems were raised in a building report, and ask for what you want. Why do you think your request is less likely to be successful with an actual building report, rather than making up a story about the banks?

You dont need to be tricky to get what you want.

Well because I knew about most of the issues beforehand I am thinking the vendors will say no on the basis my first bid reflected that.

So I thought if I were to say something along the lines of 'well its not me who want this but my bank is being difficult' then I would have more success.

Well I was planning on arguing that my bank won't lend unless certain things are fixed before settlement.

Here is my template:

Hi AGENT,

NAB had a few concerns after doing the valuation and asked my mortgage broker to ask me to get it sorted before approval was granted.

Perhaps if you just ask your vendor their thoughts we can sort it out between us as they will lend the money as soon as the issues are fixed (either by your vendors or by getting quotes by tradies to fix and then taking those quotes off the price). I AM THINKING THIS IS BETTER THAN ASKING FOR A FIXED PRICE OFF AS I DON”T WANT TO MAKE IT SEEM I AM REQUESTING THE PRICE BE REDUCED BUT RATHER THOSE EVIL BANKS!!!

Such a hassle I know but unfortunately the banks have more power than I do!

These are their concerns:

- The mould in one room is of health concern for prospective tenants and advised to replace the ceiling and fix the roof that is leaking into that room. They advised their is most probably rust between the gutter, panel and wall area, allowing seepage. They stated that by changing the guttering in this area would be needed as well for long term protection.
- The flooring is ripped up, with exposed panels and from a safety perspective this needs to be fixed.
- One of the posts is rotting (causing it to sink) which gives the house a slight downward movement to one side.
- The power to the shed/garage needs repairs as it is currently not working. They stated that the wiring from the house to the shed will need replacing.

They feel these issues (especially the mould) need to be fixed ASAP so would you mind asking your vendor if this would be ok with them as NAB won’t grant finance until these issues are fixed.

They also mentioned all the basics needing work and the poor condition of certain things i.e. painting/kitchen/bathroom/fencing/landscaping etc... but said it can be rented like this (so it is my job to fix as I was aware of that to begin with.)

Lastly and most importantly they believe the internal living space is only 90sqm (including all walls) and not 100sqm which obviously alters rental estimates. That is my major concern.

The big tree in the backyard will need to be chopped down as well but I will deal with that.

Apologies for this hiccup. I’m sure we can get it sorted out though!
James

Question is - will this work or is there a better way of negotiating?

The other key issue, is whether you bought at auction, or placed an offer?
If you bought at auction, you did give up your cooling off period, so you dont have much chance to renegotiate. You'll need to speak to your solicitor to see where you stand. Essentially, all of that due diligence should have been done prior to the auction

In terms of your letter.. its far too long, wordy, and you dont actually say what you asking for...........

If you are in your cooling off period, following an offer...you need to just say something like

Following on from our pest and building inspection, the following issues were raised.
a . b. c. d etc

Following a quote, the estimate to make these repairs is $*********.

As a result, I would like to reduce my offer by $********. (I would request some sort of split in the total costs.. )

Alternatively, I would request that these issues are resolved by the vendor prior to the date of settlement, and will incorporate this requirement into the contract as a special condition.

Can you please pass on this revised quote to the vendor and let me know ASAP if they are agreeable to this change?

regards,

Keep it simple and straight....... and be prepared to get knocked back and negotiate from there. But, again if you bought it at auction, I dont think you have much chance of being successful.

No not bought at auction but a funny situation.

Its a deceased estate and we are awaiting a grant of probate to get the contract settled sometime in May.

The agent is about 25, female and very inexperienced. Also from out of town with misconceptions of the values in the area (why I got it so cheap) and seems to be convinced that whatever I say is correct.

The vendors obviously listen which is why I think there's a good chance of getting a reduction across the line.

Gotta be careful as I will not pull out if they say no since its still a good deal.

So trying to be civil and 'oh what a hassle this is'.

If you've already got it cheap, knew about the problems before the B&P then i don't get why you're going to try to push it further. If it were me and I knew you already knew about the problems I'd either reject it, or just say that I don't want to deal with you anymore cause you're mucking me around too much.

Yeah that's what I would do too.

But its worth a try!

A couple of issues I didn't know about - and being an interstate investor buying sight unseen works in my favour for being ignorant of the issues a little.

We shall see in the morning when the fireworks are let off...

I am with the other posters.

I assumed the B&P was the opportunity to have a full inspection of the property and if something major comes up you are able to get out. I never thought of it as a further piece/item for negotiation.

But at the end of the day - if the vendor accepts then it is your good luck - just depends how desperate they are.

Also with others in terms of blaming the banks for it. Why would the bank care whether you have mold in the bathroom?

Good luck with it.

Well if the bank thinks it can't be rented as is - which is what I will argue - and that the repairs need to be fixed - well that could drop the price.

Every step of the process is a chance to negotiate.

The mold is actually in a bedroom on the ceiling - not the bathroom.

Its a no-lose situation so lets wait and see..

Price is 135 at the moment

I am not requesting an amount because I am trying to argue that xyz needs fixing for the loan to be approved - so will ask for some quotes and then deduct the amount from that (I think about 5k or so will be the quotes).

Maybe best to steer clear of auctions from now on MsAli given you bid more than you wanted to pay.

Seems to me West Syd is overvalued now if s-holes like that go for 220+ :eek:

Hi JWR, I'm capable of making my decisions and I am learning. Did you read that it was my FIRST auction. Give me a break! I wasn't mucking around. I went with a bank cheque with an unconditional approval of 220k - though did not intend to go upto that. The end result was nil - as it was beyond what I intended to spend, I did not win the auction. Thanks for the advise however I'd appreciate if you were a bit more considerate about how you approached advising others. One size doesn't fit all and everybody has their own ways and circumstances. It's naive and inexperienced to think that your way/advice would work for others at all times.

Do you give up after your first go? NO? So in future do not advise me to do it a certain way because I am willing to learn through trial and error.

Plus the buyers seemed like FHB so I wasn't surprised. AND you are making an assumption about western Sydney....A lot of houses are now selling for $230k and more as well apart from the housing department ones or the ones in need of renovation!

Didn't mean to be rude :)

If they are selling for 10-15% over what they were 6 months ago I say move to another area that hasn't yet had its run. Unless you find a bargain of course.

I hope you reconsider how you approach the vendor.

Your negotiating position will be stronger if you keep to the truth, rather than making up stories about the banks valuation. Maybe these vendors are not experienced, and they'll buy your story....... but I hope not.

I just dont see why you think you have to make up stories, when you have a perfectly valid inspection that you can use. By making up stories, you weaken your position..... why would I believe anything you say about quotes etc if you have made up some silly story about the banks valuation (and it is clear to an experienced vendor that it is a silly story.....)

From this thread and your other earlier in the year, (http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76386&page=4)
it seems that you are more interested in "playing games" with the vendors than negotiating seriously.

From my viewpoint, you dont have to play these games...... and in the long term, it wont help you in your investing career. If you really want to learn to negotiate, put aside the stories and games.....and start negotiating from the strongest position.

You think to tell the truth even though I knew beforehand most of the problems?

Its all about having fun and playing games - as long as you win in the end :)

Appreciate your advice though Penny

And I am leaning toward your viewpoint...

The old saying of honesty is the best policy is probably quite apt here.

Also the old wives take about the movement of karma.

Be honest about it and you never know it may just come off.

I have learnt something in this thread, so thank you. I had never thought of negotiating based on building and pest. I think it is because of the large auction culture in melb, ie get b&p done prior to auction (or prior to the bid you are putting in).

if i was the vendor ide be moving to have the contract cancelled as you are obviously unsatasifed with the bp report and if you are still ineterested new terms submitted under new contract for me to consider. no way in hell i would allow negotiating after the fact. after the bp you are either in or out.

Well I was planning on arguing that my bank won't lend unless certain things are fixed before settlement.

Here is my template:

Hi AGENT,

NAB had a few concerns after doing the valuation and asked my mortgage broker to ask me to get it sorted before approval was granted.

Perhaps if you just ask your vendor their thoughts we can sort it out between us as they will lend the money as soon as the issues are fixed (either by your vendors or by getting quotes by tradies to fix and then taking those quotes off the price). I AM THINKING THIS IS BETTER THAN ASKING FOR A FIXED PRICE OFF AS I DON”T WANT TO MAKE IT SEEM I AM REQUESTING THE PRICE BE REDUCED BUT RATHER THOSE EVIL BANKS!!!

Such a hassle I know but unfortunately the banks have more power than I do!

These are their concerns:

- The mould in one room is of health concern for prospective tenants and advised to replace the ceiling and fix the roof that is leaking into that room. They advised their is most probably rust between the gutter, panel and wall area, allowing seepage. They stated that by changing the guttering in this area would be needed as well for long term protection.
- The flooring is ripped up, with exposed panels and from a safety perspective this needs to be fixed.
- One of the posts is rotting (causing it to sink) which gives the house a slight downward movement to one side.
- The power to the shed/garage needs repairs as it is currently not working. They stated that the wiring from the house to the shed will need replacing.

They feel these issues (especially the mould) need to be fixed ASAP so would you mind asking your vendor if this would be ok with them as NAB won’t grant finance until these issues are fixed.

They also mentioned all the basics needing work and the poor condition of certain things i.e. painting/kitchen/bathroom/fencing/landscaping etc... but said it can be rented like this (so it is my job to fix as I was aware of that to begin with.)

Lastly and most importantly they believe the internal living space is only 90sqm (including all walls) and not 100sqm which obviously alters rental estimates. That is my major concern.

The big tree in the backyard will need to be chopped down as well but I will deal with that.

Apologies for this hiccup. I’m sure we can get it sorted out though!
James

Question is - will this work or is there a better way of negotiating?

Hi James

I know others have also answered here but the letter above will be laughed at- no lender/valuer provides this as a response and they will see right through you. Better to be upfront, as others have said already. Put in writing succinctly and factually and best of luck.
It's certainly not uncommon to try to negotiate after b/p results (we do it all the time for buyers) but it will depend on the extent of damage, the knowledge of these problems prior, the state of the market, and the willingness of the vendor to accept a lower price or conduct repairs.
Best of luck.

Still negotiating.

They haven't moved on price YET

They have given me an extra month to settle

And early access to fix the issues up

So that's a couple of grand win!

But still trying - when I spoke to the agent she said the vendors are very inflexible with the price because the original price sold was so low! And they are averse to fixing the issues before settlement as they wanted to sell 'as is'.

Can't dispute that but I have to look at it from another angle to get what I want. So I am still thinking.

In the process of getting some quotes and I am thinking that when the overinflated quotes come back I can argue they were way more than originally thought so we have to renegotiate.

James

Back