Neighbour asked to see plans

Hi all

I posted this thread awhile ago: http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93534 and my tenants will be moving out in April. The only reason they got my contact was because I had fence work (to realigned to correct boundary per surveying plans).

My neighbour at the rear emailed me again to tell me tenant?s dog has been a nuisance and he went to speak to my tenant who advised him to go to council.

My plans for a knockdown and rebuild have been submitted to council and awaiting approval and neighbour at the rear has asked if I could share my plans with them.

I was thinking site and elevations plans only and there is at least 10m from rear of house to rear fence. I do intend to install a large rainwater at the back. Do I even bother entertaining them?

Thanks
Irawin

Council will send her a copy of plans before they have been approved for any complaint submission anyhow - so why not keep your neighbours onside and have a chat with her.

I gather, atm she knows nothing about where and how the new structure is going to be built, so may have some fears about shadowing or overlooking which you can either allay or have resolved at this early stage.

If your development complies with council regs then there is nothing she can do if she doesn't like it.

Last edited:
I showed a rear neighbour my last duplex plans prior to lodging with council. I explained how nice they would be. She seemed happy until the structure went up - then proceeded to complain to council that it was too high. Interesting that she couldn't comprehend the impact from the plans. By the time she complained it was way too late and there was nothing she could do.

If you keep within the council setbacks and height planes you will be fine but I agree with the others that it would be best to show off your new project and keep onside and friendly.

All the best.

I have lodged objections previously (see other thread) however the process varies between councils - at one place the council TP reviewing the plans called a meeting between ourselves and the neighbour, his new opaque windows at 1500 mm above ffl are useless. :D

Back