New Build?

& Floorplanner

Need a floorplan?

Floorplanner is the easiest and best looking way to create and share interactive floor plans online. With simple drag and drop tools you can make accurate plans within minutes all on scale. Floorplanner BASIC is free for personal use. Our PLUS account offers more space if you need it.

House for sale? Make it stand out!

Home buyers are significantly more interested in listings with floor plans. Floorplanner PRO gives you the tools to make your properties stand above the crowd. Create great images for your brochures or embed floor plans seamless within your website or other portals.

Your very own designtool

Turn your website into a design tool with Floorplanner. Add a branded planner to your site that features your own products. Your customers and sales team will appreciate a tool that allows them to quickly plan their spaces and get accurate quotes.

I'm presuming the list is pretty much the same nowadays, though there would be a number of new companies climbing the list?

I couldn't find an update of the top WA builders beyond this piece though?

WA's largest home builders have increased their market share, thanks to increased government subsidies.

A report by the Housing Industry Association shows the Len Buckeridge-run BGC maintained its position as WA's - and Australia's - largest home builder, starting construction on 3844 houses or units in the last financial year.

The figure was 540 - or 16 per cent - more than the previous year. It is the sixth consecutive year BGC has topped the nation.

WA's largest home builders

(Company, number of WA housing starts 2008-09, housing starts 2007-08)

BGC, 3844, 3304

Alcock/Brown-Neaves Group, 2792, 2967

JWH Group, 1390, 1416

Scott Park Homes, 835, 931

Summit Homes Group, 767, 857

Cont-ent Living, 727, 763

Pindan, 544, 572

Gemmill Homes, 417, 339

Ross North Group, 325, 385

Danmar Homes, 293, 276

Redink Homes, 243, 129

Home Australia, 200, 200

McGrath Homes, 146, n/a

Mirvac, 143, 309

Peter Stannard Homes, 131, 200

Colin Wilkinson Developments, 11, 210

Highbury Homes, 88, 105

Trlin Developments, 76, 132

Don Russell Homes, 68, 160

Milford Homes, 48, n/a

Source

We dropped into a display village the other day and really liked the Ventura, Dale Alcock, Gemmil & Blueprint homes, we'll be going back soon to view the rest

Im building a house and land package at the moment.

It's really small and a long way away, but it's cheap and I'll call it home for a couple of years.

Settled today on a block of land for a new build, still deciding on a WA builder though

Some builders appear cheaper but have less inclusions eg, single power points. When you increase to double the price goes up heaps. I think it would be best to chose a builder whose design you like, where you don't need to make any changes. Celebration homes has an e-newsletter, and they send out special offers every so often. I've known a couple of people who have built through them and been really happy with end result.

Forrestfield's not too bad if you disregard the bushfires, home invasions etc :D

You do get great views of the water bombers and helitankers though

Actually, we know a few people out Forrestfield & High Wycome Way and they love it out there

There seems to be a number of new subdivisions out that way?

Some builders appear cheaper but have less inclusions eg, single power points. When you increase to double the price goes up heaps. I think it would be best to chose a builder whose design you like, where you don't need to make any changes. Celebration homes has an e-newsletter, and they send out special offers every so often. I've known a couple of people who have built through them and been really happy with end result.

We've heard good things about Celebration for a stock standard investment property also

Forrestfield's not too bad if you disregard the bushfires, home invasions etc :D

You do get great views of the water bombers and helitankers though

Actually, we know a few people out Forrestfield & High Wycome Way and they love it out there

There seems to be a number of new subdivisions out that way?

Yeah is, i bought a block through this mob http://landwa.com.au/estates.html

172K isn't too bad ;)

Also Sweet Home 3D

And I love those 3D Images as my brain can't fathom a floorplan...however, drawing/sketching etc comes easy to me; does that make me right sided or left sided?

3d-house-plans.jpg

Hope you find these handy ;)

Redwing, just found this thread. Some great tools you have linked too. Thanks a lot.

I recently completed my first home build in the outer suburbs of Perth and won't be building again for a while and probably not in W.A for numerous reasons. That aside, some things to watch out for are listed below.

The land sales people are just that "sales". There objective is to make a sale and it's not their problem once that transaction has taken place. Doing business with some kind of integrity unfortunately doesn't exist and I was foolish to think otherwise. Never trust a vendor/ salesperson is something that I will remember moving forward.

Some things you have to watch out for are;

Reduced front setback option. Eg 6 to 4.5 metres

This may be available in the estate/development but be aware that you will be charged for this option. Something that the sales people don't mention.

Easements

When I was looking for land, this was an important factor as it limits what can be built on your land.

Minimum setback requirements (R codes)

This also limits what you can build on your land. The R codes has all the information relating to setback requirements including overshadowing information.

Estate restrictive covenants

In the modern estate there exists multiple restrictive covenants which can include but not limited to;

Facade- Colours, Material used, colour ratio (has to be a feature etc)

Roof pitch/Colour- Some require a minimum roof pitch and the use of a specified palette for the roof colour

Commercial vehicles-
Restrictions of commercial vehicle parking on the premises. Includes utes / trucks etc

Garden design-

Restriction on garden design (turf to garden ratio) Minimum # of native plants etc

Driveway / Crossover materials-

Limitations on the type of materials used and colours used. Eg no natural concrete.

Advertising-

No advertising of home business or roller shutter companies etc

Car parking spaces-

No carports unless it has a door on the front.

Rubbish bins/ displaying of clothes etc

No rubbish bins and clothing items to be in view of the public and must be behind screens/ gates.

Telstra packages;

Some estates have deals with Telstra that excludes any competition for internet access. They prevent you from having an external aerial unless it's away from public viewing or in the roof cavity. Satellite dishes require written permission from the estate before installation.

Solar HWS, Evap A/C-

Colour of unit shall complement the roof colour

Rain water tank-

Some estates require rain water tank installation, some are provided by the estate but you have to pay for the tank footing, GPO and plumbing to the toilet/ laundry.

Landscape packages-

Minimal information given and quite restrictive with what you can have. Boundary fencing and side return fencing/ gate required to be installed before the company will provide the "package". 90% of the work you have to carry out (preparation) and they just slap some plants in and roll out turf.

Building itself;

Watch out for the "standard builders specification" excuse. Watch out for GPO heights and the finish of the solid plaster. "That's painters prep" excuse gets thrown around quite loosely. Not too bad if you're not the painter......

The small things catch you out in the end. You engage the professionals hoping that they can work with you and provide some type of guidance, in my experience this approach failed on many levels with myself pointing out multiple mistakes (poor workmanship incorrect paperwork etc) In the end it was easier for me to just deal with the work and rectify it myself once handed over. I learnt many lessons during the building process and will be better armed in the future.

WOW, what a list. I guess it was an upmarket estate? Wondering where and who you built through? I looked into building at Avely (The Vale) at some stage, and it seems similar.

Sounds Typical of all new land releases I've investigated in the last 3 or so years.

Visit these places a fewyears in and see who's sticking to the rules, or who's even interested in enforcing them

Another one is Private Estates (i.e. no Homeswest)

Sales & Marketing....

I built in the Glades estate in Byford W.A through the Summit group.

Redwing is correct 100% with regards to sticking to the rules & enforcing them. We stuck by the rules all the way through the build but unfortunately there seems to be way too many that do what they want. Over time the standard that was created by the estate gradually erodes and the area ages faster than it should in turn having a negative affect on property values. I can see the estates point with what they are trying to achieve but unless it's enforced it pretty much not worth the paper it's written on.

A good example is crossovers. They are to constructed of either paving or decorative cement. There are numerous properties that have gravel. As you could imagine, this looks cheap and the gravel ends up all over the road. The thing that upsets me the most is I used up a fair chunk of my paving allowance ensuring that the crossover was paved as per the estate rules.

Blinds are another one. Cheap temporary curtains aren't that hard to find especially on the street facing windows. Some houses use newspaper and tin foil an as you can imagine, it looks rather average to say the least.

No Homeswest housing was one deciding factor when choosing an estate. At the time of choosing land, there were 5 estates in the area. From memory most of them had a Homewest housing component, something which I want to stay clear of if possible.

A little thing call due diligence could have prevented those problems

Not always. We recently designed a home in Mt Claremont and ran the design past the planners during the design phase. They gave us the go-ahead via email.

We submit the plans for planning approval - REJECTED.

We send the emails the council sent us saying it would comply. Too bad. It's still rejected.

We then have to alter the plans accordingly.

Back