New Build?

No Homeswest housing was one deciding factor when choosing an estate. At the time of choosing land, there were 5 estates in the area. From memory most of them had a Homewest housing component, something which I want to stay clear of if possible.

Homeswest are everywhere, as policy. You'll even find them in Peppermint Grove.

Homeswest are everywhere, as policy. You'll even find them in Peppermint Grove.

Most sales people quote the "private estate" term, but from what i've seen and read I agree with you Steve

Homeswest Housing Zones- Metro Map

The Department of Housing has three metropolitan regions and seven country regions. The metropolitan regions are divided into zones and the country regions by towns.

One of the objectives of Homeswest is to provide appropriate and affordable housing options for people who cannot access the private market. Its programs are directed at low-income renters and home buyers, disadvantaged groups and people with special housing needs.

Homeswest divides its services into three major programs each with several sub-programs.

1. Rental Operations Program

To provide affordable rental accommodation to Western Australians on low to moderate income with the following programs:

Public Rental Housing – to provide affordable, safe and secure rental accommodation to those Western Australians with a housing need.

Bond Assistance – to provide bond assistance loans to help people obtain private rental accommodation.

Community Housing – to develop a viable community housing sector in Western Australia including cooperative housing, joint ventures, crisis accommodation and housing for special needs groups.

Aboriginal Housing – to ensure that Aboriginal people have appropriate housing and support services.

Property Leasing – to lease property other than vacant land, to maximise returns and protect the asset while awaiting redevelopment, refurbishment or sale.

Procurement – to ensure the timely deliver of suitable rental housing into the appropriate program of need, either by constructing housing units on Homeswest land or land owned by joint venture partners, or by acquiring land or completed house and land packages in locations of high rental demand.

Land Acquisitions – to purchase single residential, grouped housing lots for rental housing and broadhectare land for future development to accommodate the rental program and first home owner market.

Construction – to provide cost-effective residential dwellings, funded by the Commonwealth State Housing Agreement, by using private sector design, contract administration and building resources.

Minor Works – to perform minor upgrades of selected Homeswest properties by contract.

2. Home Ownership Program

3. Land Program

Though don't forget, Homeswest can and do, source rentals from the private market also for their tenants, as well as assist them with Bonds to get into a private rental.

Homeswest also provide KEYSTART (amongst many others) to enable home ownership for tenants which do not quality for public rental assistance, but who cannot obtain private sector finance.

Re: Homeswest - My friend was looking to buy land at Aveley and the sales rep told her their was no Homeswest there being a private estate, unlike Ellenbrook that had heaps. I'm not sure where you find the statistics for the proportion of public housing but it is definately disproportionate. I remember seeing a program on ACA or something years ago, and Peppermint Grove had a pretty low proportion. I lived in a suburb of Perth that had a high proportion and it wasn't much fun! I think in the 1950's it was planned as a state housing area.There is a percentage state housing aim for now across all suburbs that is suppose to stop ghettos, I think it's 8%. When I moved away from the suburb with a high proportion of state housing, not long after I moved I found out there were plans to put in quite a lot in the new suburb I moved to. Thankfully we were successful in fighting against it.
(add - I think I've spoken to you about that before as you've got an IP in the suburb also

My friend invests in high yeild properties and she usually checks for state housing in the street surrounding the property (I think through the council).

There's nothing to stop the department from purchasing a house for sale beside yours for state housing purposes at any time.

Last edited:
I was one of the orginal residents in Aveley, buying there because it is a private estate with no Homeswest customers. There are parts of Ellenbrook across the road with Homeswest customers every few houses, depends which parts of Ellenbrook.

Multiple covenants are not worth the paper they are written on per sae. You certainly need to have the covenants covered to get your house plans approved by the estate. When the Vale was new people used to get written notices if they breached the covenants, ie if your garden was not up to scratch or if you had your bins in view. Now that it is quite a big suburb nothing is done.

When the orginal residents association was in force I was a member and used to go along to the meetings. There were a few older men who did nothing but bit.. and winge about breaches of the covenants. At these meetings were reps from the Mutiplex, who were the orginal builders and the shire. Basically despite signing legal contracts regarding the covenants it would take a class action by residents to enforce covenants, so unless you have a heap of rich residents, nothing can be done.

I am spitting chips on some aspects of this, down the road from me they have put thier solar panels on the north facing roof, facing the road, optimal placement. I put mine elsewhere to comply with the covenants........... Have noticed now a few people have done the same now. Thing is, you can view my panels from the road still, from the corner, so whats the diff.

Forrestfield, used to live there, have often thought about returning there. Have itchy feet at the moment........

Forrestfield, used to live there, have often thought about returning there. Have itchy feet at the moment........
What attracts you to Forrestfield? I'd imagine it would be quite the opposite lifestyle/setting to Aveley? I don't know the area well, just from viewing 2nd hand cars. I get itchy feet constantly, I've planned my next 3 suburb/state moves already. It makes life interesting.

What attracts you to Forrestfield? I'd imagine it would be quite the opposite lifestyle/setting to Aveley? I don't know the area well, just from viewing 2nd hand cars. I get itchy feet constantly, I've planned my next 3 suburb/state moves already. It makes life interesting.

MMMM, cause I had thought I could buy a cheaper house again to have a lesser mortgage. My Dad still lives in Forrestfield, he has no issues at all where he lives, he and his wife travel every year, leaving thier house and they do not even have deadlocks, much to my shock and horror. Forrestfield is a bit closer to town. Yes you are right, it is not an optimal suburb. There are some nice pockets though, and not just in the newer areas.

But.........you are right, I get these itchy feet and do nothing about it. Great to hear I am not alone in the itchy feet syndrome. I have a big 4 x 2 and really only my son and I living in it now. Yes Aveley is a nice place to live. Soon will have a new shopping centre close to me open. Given I am in the first division, it is optimal, I have two beautiful lake filled parks in very short walking distance, and another two minor parks close by. Aveley has good shopping now in Ellenbrook. Master's will be opening soon, so will really be no need to leave the area at all. Would be good to have a good nursery in the area.

Back