New construction - Interest deductions

I will be borrowing over 100% of the cost to cover land purchase to turn key completion for my IP.

1. If I borrow additional funds to cover interest payements during construction, is the additional interest deductable.

2. If I use the loan to cover Council rates, utilities, insurance etc during construction is the interest deductable.

3. If I use the loan to cover property settlement cost (I know property settlement cost are added to the cost base), but is the interest deductable.

4. If I use the loan to cover the loan cost, is the interest deductable, if so can interest be deducted in the 1st year or does the 5 year rule apply.

I will be borrowing over 100% of the cost to cover land purchase to turn key completion for my IP.

1. If I borrow additional funds to cover interest payements during construction, is the additional interest deductable.

2. If I use the loan to cover Council rates, utilities, insurance etc during construction is the interest deductable.

3. If I use the loan to cover property settlement cost (I know property settlement cost are added to the cost base), but is the interest deductable.

4. If I use the loan to cover the loan cost, is the interest deductable, if so can interest be deducted in the 1st year or does the 5 year rule apply.

The answer to all those is "It could be"

Not sure what you mean by 4 - claiming interest on money borrowed to pay for borrowing expenses? If so this could be claimable each year when incurred.

The answer to all those is "It could be"

Not sure what you mean by 4 - claiming interest on money borrowed to pay for borrowing expenses? If so this could be claimable each year when incurred.

Thanks for your reply Terry_w

Originally my reference to "borrowing expenses" was loan establishment cost etc. which I believe can only be claimed over 5 years.
If I borrow against my loan to cover the loan establishment cost, is the interest deductable & if so in the same year or over 5 years ?

Also is the interest paid for the land & building construction fully deductable in the same financial year or needs to be claimed over 5 years ?

Curgy,

You might be confusing borrowing expenses with interest on money used for borrowing expenses.

eg. $1000 in LMI
This would be deductuble, generally, over 5 years so $200 per year.

If you borrowed $1000 to pay this then the interest would be deductible, generally, when incurred.
so approx $60 each year in interest at 6%.

With stamp duty this is a capital expense so would not be deductible upfront, except in ACT where it is a lease expense.

But you could still claim, generally, interest on money borrowed to pay stamp duty.

Assuming the proeprty will be an investment.

Back