New Duplex

I will soon finish my first development of a duplex in late June. Am I able to put the two properties on the market, even though they are not finished? Is it legal etc.

I could provide a floor plan but obviously no pictures.

Would people wait until its finished or try get interest before it is finished, so I can put a tenant in there immediately?

I will soon finish my first development of a duplex in late June. Am I able to put the two properties on the market, even though they are not finished? Is it legal etc.

Would people wait until its finished or try get interest before it is finished, so I can put a tenant in there immediately?
If your name is on the title then you can do what ever you want..imho..

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]&prodno=8731.0&issue=April 2013&num=&view=

I think this may depend on which state you are in.

I would recommend that you wait until a few weeks out from your finish date. When it is a few weeks out start some advertising to gain interest from potential tenants. As soon as you are able to have people view the property anyone who has enquired should be contacted and taken through.

In VIC a tenant has to inspect the property as they would be renting it before they sign the leases. Not doing this can leave you open to compensation claims from what I like to call 'opportunistic' tenants. :).

Congratulations on your first duplex development!! Have you enjoyed the experience?

Hi,

I am also looking constucting duplex's, having previously done property renovations. I would be grateful if you could share some insights of your construction, so that I may benefit from your experience.

Specifically what I am interested in is the site selection process and costing information.

Thanks,

KB

Tenants are 'blind'. They cannot see the finished product until it is in front of them ie they don't want to waste their time looking at something they cannot see.

Wait until the interiors are just about complete - if they have to give notice to move then they still have a couple of weeks up their sleeves for you to complete the works.

Tenants are 'blind'. They cannot see the finished product until it is in front of them ie they don't want to waste their time looking at something they cannot see.

Wait until the interiors are just about complete - if they have to give notice to move then they still have a couple of weeks up their sleeves for you to complete the works.
ha ha ha - so true Scott! I often tell my landlords that most tenants have no imagination so while we can see the finished product with the new floors and kitchen benches etc, all tenants see is no flooring and a missing oven!!!

Back