New home building questions

1. What insurance a builder has to provide before signing contract?

2. Who are liable for injury, dead or 3rd party liability in construction site? What Insurances are required for these?

3. Who provide / pay for electricity, water usage for building during the construction? Do I have to pay for electricity connection etc?

you need to request to see his public liability insurance certificate etc.

and call up or email the company to ensure the certificate is valid and covers X, Y,Z scenarios.

Check his builder registration code (normally done by building surveyor) that he is qualified and registered to do the works.

I just check if the builder has registered builder licence on the buildingcommission website but only found his son licence. Maybe, he uses his son licence for his company. So, can I sign contract with this builder or sign with his son.

you need to request to see his public liability insurance certificate etc.

and call up or email the company to ensure the certificate is valid and covers X, Y,Z scenarios.

Check his builder registration code (normally done by building surveyor) that he is qualified and registered to do the works.

Thanks a lot:)

I just check if the builder has registered builder licence on the buildingcommission website but only found his son licence. Maybe, he uses his son licence for his company. So, can I sign contract with this builder or sign with his son.

check the company if the son is a director or something with the company. otherwise - if any issues come up - the son could say he knows nothing about it.

evisional,

You should ask to see his "Home Warranty Insurance" certificate and his "Home Warranty Insurance" for your specific job (if you have got that far).

You should ask to see his "Public Liability Insurance" certificate which will typically show insured for 20m.

Regarding his licence you should simply look up his details (company name and/or his own name) and see that a) they are a registered\ licensed builder and if they have anything noted on their file that would worry you.

You can lookup a builder in NSW for instance via https://www.licence.nsw.gov.au/LicenceCheck/

Click "Home Building" then the builder company name e.g. my own "RESCON BUILDERS" :) to see if there has been any claims against the business etc and most important if they hold a valid builders licence.

Hope this helps...

1. What insurance a builder has to provide before signing contract?

2. Who are liable for injury, dead or 3rd party liability in construction site? What Insurances are required for these?

3. Who provide / pay for electricity, water usage for building during the construction? Do I have to pay for electricity connection etc?

Evisional-Are you building a extension of a property, or are you demolishing/building?

You have to pay water and electricity.

Not sure about other states, but I'm building here in WA at the moment. Building company has asked that I connect all the utilities and provide them with account numbers before they begin. What they use on the construction site then gets billed to those account numbers.

Back