New home loan - need advice

Hi..

I am refinancing a home loan, have a quote with ING - $350K total loan, probably will go for interest only and pay off whatever can save up to the variable portion. Want to split..

resently the variable is 6.19%
fixed, (perhaps will do 3 years) at 7.59%.

I checked for a discount and all they offered is 0.06% off the variable (for $700 fee!) which I calculated not to be worth it... even based on the assumption that the interest will raise average 0.75% pa on the variable.

Can someone suggest a better deal based on the above req's? Is it worth it going through a broker? Any advice?

thanks guys :)

Can someone suggest a better deal based on the above req's? Is it worth it going through a broker? Any advice?

What are your other requirements?

Establishment fees?
Early termination fees?
Monthly fees?
Offset/LOC facilities?

etc...

The Y-man

Y-man,

Establishment fees = approx 800, no monthly fees

Early termination fees = only break up on the fixed portion, which they couldnt quote as it is calculated on the day (??)

Monthly fees - nope
Offset/LOC facilities - no offset facility, but unlimited redraw

also they reimburse the fees for using any ATM machine as long as a withdrawal is over $200, which suits me fine.

If going through a broker, can anyone recommend one? Need to move along pretty soon..

cheers heaps

go for any broker. call mortgage choice for a local broker in your area. $800 establishment fees for a plain vanilla home loan? give me a break!

Y-man,

Establishment fees = approx 800, no monthly fees

Early termination fees = only break up on the fixed portion, which they couldnt quote as it is calculated on the day (??)

Monthly fees - nope
Offset/LOC facilities - no offset facility, but unlimited redraw

also they reimburse the fees for using any ATM machine as long as a withdrawal is over $200, which suits me fine.

If going through a broker, can anyone recommend one? Need to move along pretty soon..

cheers heaps

NAB have a good deal going around.check their site 0.8% off Std Var rate for 3 yrs plain vanilla. HSBC also have a gr8 product and a sale going on better than ING.

But I would recommend the NAB choice package for $395 per annum and u get a lot of stuff such as credit card, debit card, etc and most of the fees covered. Plus you get 0.7% for the life of the loan works out 6.04%. If international accounts is your requirements HSBC is a better product. You can negotiate with the banks better than a middle man (broker), thats just me.

cheers

HSBC looks ok on the surface, but some little nigglies that arent obvious till u get your loan docs may cause confusion.

Max IO period 3 years.............that may not work for you.

Rate wise on the variable its ok, but not market leader either

We used to do quite a lot of HSBC when they were still in the broker space, but mainly for fixed terms, not so much the variable.

ta
rolf

If you are looking for fixed, Adelaide has a 3 year rate at 6.99%, their variable is 6.24%. They do have a monthly fee and the est fee is $695.

Really depends on what your main requirements are?

NAB have a good deal going around.check their site 0.8% off Std Var rate for 3 yrs plain vanilla. HSBC also have a gr8 product and a sale going on better than ING.

But I would recommend the NAB choice package for $395 per annum and u get a lot of stuff such as credit card, debit card, etc and most of the fees covered. Plus you get 0.7% for the life of the loan works out 6.04%. If international accounts is your requirements HSBC is a better product. You can negotiate with the banks better than a middle man (broker), thats just me.

cheers

The NAB choice package is more expensive if you have a small loan (eg $100k), ie the $395 fee costs you more than the 0.7% discount. Useful if you want to get a credit card in the mix, because the lending requirements dictated that you reduce your current credit card limit. (*glares at NAB*).

thanks for the ideas.. I spoke to NAB re the choice package, the cr card has $150 annual fee.. while they are good on the variable at the moment, not sure if $395pa makes the whole package no better than HSBC or ING mortgage simplifier..

checked the Adelaide for fixed 6.99% 3 year - doesnt apply anymore it seems. they became part of Bendigo, so things have changed I guess..

so, still looking into HSBC (they have a rediculously high early term fees $1300, also not discarding ING yet.. Westpac - checked Premier adv (used to be "professional") - SVR is pretty high to start with so 0.7% off doesnt make it much more competitive against others I think...

more advice? :)

thanks!!

thanks for the ideas.. I spoke to NAB re the choice package, the cr card has $150 annual fee.. while they are good on the variable at the moment, not sure if $395pa makes the whole package no better than HSBC or ING mortgage simplifier..
!

The NAB broker offering at 75 % or less is 5.97 ongoing with 100 % IO pffset not like the 3 year intro at NAB retail.........

and if the loan is greater than 300 k the app fees are small, and the ongoing fees of 10 a month per split incl an offset and a gold card.

If you need LMI, then the whole costings issue can become irrelevant because there can be a big variation on LMI premiums

ta
rolf

If you want to go fixed Adelaide Bank offer is still available via mortgage brokers. Had a meeting with them the other day, Adelaide Bank is their broker/wholesale model. They are coming out with a few 'broker only' products lo-doc commercial one of them.

Back