new property repairs (issue with Builder)

Hi,

I recently (couple of months back) purchased a brand new IP (house) from a builder, the The new tenant has few issues, these issues are that -
- the kitchen tap is leaking,
- the downlight in the en suite is hanging down from the ceiling,
- the shower drain in the en suite is slow to drain and water fills up the
cubicle.

I tried calling the builder everyday this week without a return call in regards to the repairs. Would l be able to get our electrician and plumber out there to sort these issues for the tenants and then forward the invoices onto the builders to pay?

what are my options??

Thanks.

Edit: This is in NSW.

Hi,

I tried calling the builder everyday this week without a return call in regards to the repairs. Would l be able to get our electrician and plumber out there to sort these issues for the tenants and then forward the invoices onto the builders to pay?

what are my options??

Thanks.

Edit: This is in NSW.
It is probably worth emailing or faxing the builder so that you have a paper trail. I am not sure of your rights but the Mater Builders Association should be able to tel you your rights.

Agree with documenting every attempt made to date and continuing doing so.

Have a read of your contract and it should say what recourse you have (if any).

On saying that:

- the kitchen tap is leaking
Try changing the washer

- the downlight in the en suite is hanging down from the ceiling
If you are talking the actual globe attached to a wire, this may be popped in

- the shower drain in the en suite is slow to drain and water fills up the
cubicle
Take out the grill, place a fair amount of bi car and then vinegar. Wait 1 minutes then flush with water.

They're probably still on holidays. Semd an email.

The contract would give you the defects period are you outside of the warranty?

I am within the warranty period. you are probably right, he must be away on holidays, that why i was wondering if i should get it repaired and then get him to reimburse the expenses.

I sent him an email this morning. Thanks

If it is a warranty issue, and you organise a repair (regardless of who does the work), you risk voiding the warranty and being out of pocket. The builder must first go bankrupt, die or refuse to do the works under warranty before you take it to Fair Trading to get a remedy.:(

Back