New Property Riches

Steve

Some observations.

Obviously it's hard to make direct comparisons due to the different times that you've held the properties , however with some initial assumptions ( I hope these are correct , so correct me if I'm wrong ) I think it's worth making.

Assumptions

1 ) The first three properties would have been bought around the peak of the previous boom in Sydney , so it's unlikely you would have paid more if you had bought them around the same time as the properties in Castle Hill. So I assume that most of the capital gain would have occured during the current cycle rather than at the tail end of the preceeding cycle.

2) Your initial purchases in Brisbane would have been bought during the trough period of the current cycle so the current gains would roughly equal the gains during the current cycle as well. Obviously this is assuming that the current cycle in Brisbane has finished.

Observations

1)
You have four properties that have roughly ( I'm including 292 % as approx three) more than tripled their price during the time you have owned them. That includes three out of three of old properties that you bought. While you could point out that these are the properties that you have held the longest, given my previous assumptions, I think my observation is valid. Interstingly if you had bought in Brisbane in 1989 ( prior to the peak in the previous cycle in Brisbane) you probably would have done even better.

2) You bought two properties in Castle Hill at around the same time which are both worth about the same price. A 20K less purchase price for one results in the percentage increase changing from 252 % to 297 % . This emphysises to me the importance of trying to buy properties as cheaply as I can ( PS this has no bearing on the current discussion ...:) )

3) While you comment on the decrease in value of the three old properties , you make no comment about decrease in values of the two properties bought in 1991 in Castle Hill. As some one who was looking at properties in Sydney from 1988 onwards, I find it hard to believe that these properties did not go down in value after the period that you bought them in particular when your properties in Edgecliff , Double Bay and Paddington ( which IMHO would be considered better suburbs than Castle Hill ) went down in that period.

4 ) Assuming that the properties in Castle Hill did go down in value, then one can only conclude that the first five properties you bought in Sydney went down in value for a period of years after you bought them .

Why is this so ? I'm sure you would state that they didn't fit rental reality , and given that you hadn't created rental reality at that stage that would be a correct assumption ( and in retrospect I'm sure wouldn't have fitted rental reality ) . My personal observation would be that the market had peaked in around 1989 ( after a period when the Sydney market doubled in a one year period ) and after a period of rapid growth such as occured then , and has recently occured, we were unlikely to see significant growth for a number of years.

I'm not saying I was any smarter at the time :cool: . From 1987 I lived in rented house which friends had bought recently for under 100K in Concord West. 18 Months later I bought our first house for 205 k , two streets away, significantly inferior. After 80 K and hundreds of hours work we sold that house in 1994 for 299 K so we could buy a PPOR in Pymble. Unfortunately our accountant didn't advise us that we could sell it into a trust to make repayments deductable , and somersoft wasn't around then :eek: .

Having seen prices go sideways for a period of six years , the lesson I personally learnt was the importance of timing the market. Obviously that house is worth significantly more now , but a buy 18 months earlier ( prior to a period of significant prices rises ) would have seen the percentage gain double. I note that from a similar experience , you have drawn a different conclusion and are recommending people buy properties after a period of significant capital growth ( obviously based on rental reality ).

Obviously in the long term properties, bought under the rental reality, will do well ( as does all ... well most .. property ). I understand that it is comes from your background in shares and that you preferred way of share trading is not that of the trend following approach , however my observations have been that trends in property are slower and more predictable than in shares.

While share trends can suffer a significant reversal within a matter of minutes , property trends appear to be slower moving ( months and years ) and someone watching the market on an even intermittent basis can quickly become in tune with what is happening. I certainly don't spend every minute watching the market but I do check around every month or so and I believe that I will be able to buy back into the market alot closer to the time when prices start moving in the next cycle and closer to where the next cycle will start moving ( Centre of Sydney ). I will be hunting for bargains in the next year or two ;)

See Change

see_change said:
I note that from a similar experience , you have drawn a different conclusion and are recommending people buy properties after a period of significant capital growth ( obviously based on rental reality ).
Hi Seech,

I think the conclusion drawn is more similar than different :p

I don't recommend buying property "AFTER a period of significant capital growth" ... I recommend buying property within "Rental Reality" full stop!

In other words irrespective of whether the market has been growing, declining or any which way, as long as the achievable yields conform to the asking price, you will be buying value.

This is similar to my share trading philosophy, where previous trends (History) is just as meaningless to me as future prediction. (Fortune telling!)

Regards,
Steve

PS: I agree that 'Time in the market' with property will cure most all ills ... and like yourself timing on entry (For me RR indicates this) will procure extra value. :cool:

Hiya

Here is my 2 bobs worth.

In the last 12 to 18 mths, there are STILL pockets where there has been significant growth, that clients of mine have managed to dig out, even in markets that are supposed to be flat or decaying.

These are based on bank valuations of where we have pulled real equity, and not based on some market hype or an agent buying a listing.

15 to 20 % on buy price within 12 to 18 mths has been common without reno work, in some cases with clever reno work we have seen near 50 % after costs.

In the current market, new stock is very much a buy and hold proposition, but even there, some have made 10 to 15 % in less than a year, through land and separate house build deals.

ta

rolf

"So, IMHO brand new property does work and from a cashflow point of view is much better."

Not sure I can agree Steve.

I think quite a few of us have had huge returns from buying very ordinary houses in regional Australia in the last few years. Doubling our money then selling off some of them has given us great cashflow for the next round.

Whether it goes towards 1 CG property in a city or more ordinary houses regionally, I'm far further ahead than if I'd bought one 400k house in Brisbane 2 years ago.

Each to their own:)

Steve Navra said:
Hi Seech,

I think the conclusion drawn is more similar than different :p

I don't recommend buying property "AFTER a period of significant capital growth" ... I recommend buying property within "Rental Reality" full stop!

In other words irrespective of whether the market has been growing, declining or any which way, as long as the achievable yields conform to the asking price, you will be buying value.

This is similar to my share trading philosophy, where previous trends (History) is just as meaningless to me as future prediction. (Fortune telling!)

Regards,
Steve

PS: I agree that 'Time in the market' with property will cure most all ills ... and like yourself timing on entry (For me RR indicates this) will procure extra value. :cool:

Steve

Ahh semantics ... fun stuff

Maybe the appropriate question should be

" Do you recommend not buying property after a period of significant growth " ? ( I 'd class a period of significant growth as a doubling , ie the growth one would expect in a normal cycle ) .

OR

While your current recommendation to buy in Brisbane are not based on " buying After a period of significant growth" but are actually based on buying on the basis of appropriate Rental reality values , these buys could be percieved as occuring " after a period of significant growth ".
:D

I have less concerns on the use of rental reality as an indicator to establish value when the market is going though an established trough or starting to move up but this is because the long term trigger would be going off into the positive .

Technical analysis always has problems establishing turning points accurately and will generally lag

My major concern is the use of rental reality to establish value when many would percieve the market to have peaked ( eg in Brisbane in the moment ) and a cursory inspection of what is happening in the market could show that significant parts of market is going down. In this situation I'm concerned that Rental reality could act as a lagging indicator ( I must admitt I'm not following the areas where you are buying , so I'm not in a position to comment on that area specifically ) however any of the conversations Ive had with agents and investors in Brisbane indicate a overall unhealthy market.

Given both our experiences in buying after a period of significant growth ( ie values went sideways / backwards for a number of years ) do you think that you should consider modifying your buying criteria. Keep Rental reality as the element to establish the value of the property relative to others in the market. Have another indicator to answer that vital question , Should I be buying now? Obviously if you can time your buys ( and I think it is possible to do this ) then you are in a position to have less downtime in you exposure to property , you additional funds can make even more money in shares in the downtime when property is underperforming ... :D

A Simple Moving average ? Some comparison with decreases in previous cycles either absolute or in relation to yields, the list is endless ( I feel another interesting thread ....TOUCHDOWN...Mark Holden ...wft are you doing in this forum )

In this situation the long term trigger becomes ... the long term trigger ... and rental reality becomes the confirmation / value of the specific deal

See Change

see_change said:
Ahh semantics ... fun stuff

... I'm concerned that Rental reality could act as a lagging indicator...

Yes fun stuff ... semanticising :rolleyes:

The entire basis of Rental Reality is that it is a 5 year MOVING average ... thus it does not compare a snapshot just of current values, but is an indicator of the "worth" of the postcode over time.

As such, it DOESN'T MATTER ... what the immediate previous months of market movement have been!

Still I do grant you that "picking your timing" is a valuable tool ... assuming you achieve some accuracy.

RR remains an objective 'double check' in the process of doing your due diligence.

Regards,
Steve

Steve Navra said:
Yes fun stuff ... semanticising :rolleyes:

The entire basis of Rental Reality is that it is a 5 year MOVING average ... thus it does not compare a snapshot just of current values, but is an indicator of the "worth" of the postcode over time.

Regards,
Steve

And there in lies a potential fault. If an area is going down in value ( which many areas have done in the past ) rental reality could potentially over value the area compared to current values because it is ( as all moving averages are ) a lagging indicator.

See Change

see_change said:
And there in lies a potential fault. If an area is going down in value ( which many areas have done in the past ) rental reality could potentially over value the area compared to current values because it is ( as all moving averages are ) a lagging indicator.

No, no, no ... There in lies the STRENGTH of RR!

The annual adjustment of yield% reflects the change in rent / price ... which is what is objectively happening at that point in time.

There in lies your potential misunderstanding :p

Regards,
Steve

If the general consensus is to NOT buy directly after a boom, how long do you wait before entering the market again?

Regards
Marty

kissfan said:
If the general consensus is to NOT buy directly after a boom, how long do you wait before entering the market again?

Hey Marty,

I am SURE you already know the answer :p

Answer: Just as long as it takes to find a property that is within the RR value!

Regards,
Steve

Question for Steve.

Steve Navra said:
Two questions:
.............Brand New Properties:

Castle Hill 1 $210 (1991)
This property is currently valued at approx $580K

Castle Hill 2 $230 (1991)
This property is currently valued at approx $580K

Bracken Ridge 1 $130,500 (1997)
This property is currently valued at approx $250K

Bracken Ridge 2 $130,500 (1997)
This property is currently valued at approx $250K

Daisy Hill 1 $208K (1998)
This property is currently valued at approx $450K

Daisy Hill 2 $209K (1998)

Bridgeman Downs $209K (1999)
This property is currently valued at approx $400K

Wynnum West $159K (1999)
This property is currently valued at approx $350K

Manly West $203K (1999)

Noosa $234K (2000)
This property is currently valued at approx $600K

Newington $405K (2000)
This property is currently valued at approx $600K

Cabarita Bay $ 825K (2001)
This property is currently valued at approx $1.4 Million

Waverly Park $555K (2004)
This property is currently valued at approx $555K

Hendra $425K (2005)
This property is currently valued at approx $525K

Rose Bay $2.6 Million (2005)
This property is currently valued at approx $2.8 million

So, IMHO brand new property does work and from a cashflow point of view is much better.

Hope this answeres the questions,
Steve

Hi Steve.

Firstly - well done on where you are at the moment.

Keep going and thanks for re-joining the forums.. it's good to see you back, even if you and See_change do knock heads on certain points. :D
(Perhaps you should get together and have an arm wrestle or compare tax returns or something)

I notice that your brand new properties were all in established suburbs.

I guess that's how you worked out your formulas for Rental Reality on these New Homes.

What are your thoughts about New Homes in new suburbs?

For example Griffin / Mango Hill are places you could buy new homes in Brisbane - However these used to be mainly farms, so I am not sure if the 5 year yield average would be accurate in these cases?

Thanks,

A/c

alwayscurious said:
What are your thoughts about New Homes in new suburbs?

For example Griffin / Mango Hill are places you could buy new homes in Brisbane - However these used to be mainly farms, so I am not sure if the 5 year yield average would be accurate in these cases?

Hi there,

See Change and I are friends (Well I like to think so!), not competitors ...
We approach investing in a very similar way: Property / Cash / Shares in a structured way. Our experiences are different, hence different approaches to how we go about things. I think Seech is much more "hands on" than I am ... he analyses specifics for his own portfolio purposes, whereas I tend to promote a structure that caters for many clients.

RR does work in newer areas ... just more data collation required.
Griffin / Mango Grove fall outside of my 'greater than 20%' above the city median price requirement. (I advocate ONLY buying at the city median + 20% so as to buy in areas that have an 80% or more, owner to renter ratio)

Regards,
Steve

clarifying..

Steve Navra said:
Hi there,

See Change and I are friends (Well I like to think so!), not competitors ...
We approach investing in a very similar way: Property / Cash / Shares in a structured way. Our experiences are different, hence different approaches to how we go about things. I think Seech is much more "hands on" than I am ... he analyses specifics for his own portfolio purposes, whereas I tend to promote a structure that caters for many clients.

RR does work in newer areas ... just more data collation required.
Griffin / Mango Grove fall outside of my 'greater than 20%' above the city median price requirement. (I advocate ONLY buying at the city median + 20% so as to buy in areas that have an 80% or more, owner to renter ratio)

Regards,
Steve

I kind of picked up that most of your banter was friendly, and was stirring the pot a little :D

Clarification on this rule:
I think I get it now..

This is a guide to help you buy in areas that have a high owner occupier ratio.

Your thought is: Renters will tend to rent when the price gets beyond the median by too much
because it becomes too expensive to buy.

Is that it?

So putting a city median + 20% cap means you can potentially weed out some of the suburbs with high concentrations of renters.

Do you have a thread with a list of your rules? I would like to study them and see if I can understand them.

Thanks
Ac

Ac,

Steve runs a whole day course in Brisbane quite regularly where he goes through everything that he recommends. Well worth the token fee that pretty much just covers his costs.

He just had one two weekends ago, so maybe won't have another one scheduled for a while. But, if you do a search here on Navra you'll find a wealth of information about his Rental Reality check as well as all the other checks Steve advocates.

Cheers mate,
Michael.

Steve Navra said:
No, no, no ... There in lies the STRENGTH of RR!

The annual adjustment of yield% reflects the change in rent / price ... which is what is objectively happening at that point in time.

There in lies your potential misunderstanding :p

Regards,
Steve

Sorry Steve..

You've lost me in this explanation. I'm not sure what you're saying here.

See Change

Bill.L said:
Does anyone know someone (or themselves) that has profited greatly by purchasing new properties exclusively??
Hi,

Bill.L asked the above question and he also stated in another post that he wished to be enlightened if anyone had some success with new properties.

I thought I might have shown some small success personally with this approach. (See earlier in this thread)

Bill.L is strangely silent :p

Perhaps he is away :confused:

Regards,
Steve

PS: Hi Seech,
"Steve..

You've lost me in this explanation. I'm not sure what you're saying here.
See Change"
You are welcome to come visit this weekend for a refresher and some further explanation ;)

Steve Navra said:
Bill. L is strangely silent
Guys,

My understanding is that Bill L has recently been involved in an accident so may not be up to posting at present. I wouldn't read too much into the lack of response by him at this stage.

I just called Steve and appraised him of this so he is now aware why his post has not been replied to as yet.

I trust Bill will recover soon and be back in fine posting form in due course. My thoughts and best wishes for a speedy recovery are with him.

Regards,
Michael.

Hi all,

Sorry to miss all the discussion so far. As Michael said, I have not been up to posting for a while due to a spell in hospital and head injuries etc after a run in with a tourist (again :mad: ). I've dropped in and read a few threads, but not really started to take in what was happening until the last few days.

Steve, great to see you posting again.
Your example does show that money can be made in the longer term by buying some new. Thanks. The same for Kenneth. Thanks.

However, Steve, your example is not what I would call "typical", as your starting base came from much higher equity/borrowing power in 1989, to be able to afford the properties that you bought.

I understand that your rental reality formula is an attempt to stop people from buying at the peak of a boom, and repeat your earlier perceived mistakes.

I've got some other questions, but I'll have to ask them later

bye

Back