New record? 39 page application to rent a property

The property manager has been blaming the blinds looking ugly for people not submitting applications (had 10 groups take applications in the first viewing). I think none can be bothered filling in the application.

I said I would do an open on the weekend (to try and get groups through that work during the week) and she sent me the application form they use. It was 39 pages!! :confused:

Used the form for the viewing and the comments were to the same effect. Gave out 4 applications and doubt we will get 1 back as who can be bothered filling out a 39 page application on the off chance of getting a place to rent. Went through the application with one group and helped them complete it, so hopefully we have secured a new tenant to start straight after the current tenant vacates.

39 page application form, is this a record?

Why would a property manager make it so hard to rent a place?

39 pages?! :eek:

When I read the thread title I thought you'd received an application 39 pages long, my first thought "I've received bigger"!

I probably wouldn't bother filling that out, unless it was a deal not to be missed!!

I'm not surprised no one has applied, it would be thrown in the "too hard" basket.

The property manager has been blaming the blinds looking ugly for people not submitting applications (had 10 groups take applications in the first viewing). I think none can be bothered filling in the application.

I said I would do an open on the weekend (to try and get groups through that work during the week) and she sent me the application form they use. It was 39 pages!! :confused:

Used the form for the viewing and the comments were to the same effect. Gave out 4 applications and doubt we will get 1 back as who can be bothered filling out a 39 page application on the off chance of getting a place to rent. Went through the application with one group and helped them complete it, so hopefully

Sounds like a normal trap-door contract where the person who wrote it up is in focus with what they know,and the person signing the contract knows nothing..

The standard application form that Consumer Protection WA publish is something like 5 pages, and even I think that's a bit too long.

The last time I used it, I think I didn't print the last page and kept it to 4.

39 pages :eek:

Let's see, maybe the including these type of questions?
  • Do you go to the toilet often?
  • How many times a day approx?
  • What time on the day?

Even the standard rental agreement on runs to 20 odd pages. Even then you only fill in a dozen lines spread over 5 pages.

I have two different applications - a one pager and a 4 pager which just probes deeper.

I don't think I should post it online.

Can be broken down to:
1 Page Consent
1 Page Checklist
9 Page standard REIWA application form
6 Pages of their standard annexures to lease agreement
8 Page Income Questionnaire
10 Page NRAS Consent & Demographic Assessment
4 Pages of Stat Dec & instructions

Really the REIWA application form and consent is all that is needed (I like the consent separate in case referees require a copy before providing their reference).

As a renter I wouldn't fill in such a long application form, especially this:

8 Page Income Questionnaire

What could possibly fill an 8 page income questionnaire?

If a landlord/agent isn't fine with declaration of annual income and payslip or last years tax return as evidence then they can shove their application.

As a renter I wouldn't fill in such a long application form, especially this:

What could possibly fill an 8 page income questionnaire?

If a landlord/agent isn't fine with declaration of annual income and payslip or last years tax return as evidence then they can shove their application.

If it's NRAS, they do need a little more information on income than with standard rentals, but yes, otherwise i'll agree with you.

If it's NRAS, they do need a little more information on income than with standard rentals, but yes, otherwise i'll agree with you.

Yes it is NRAS but should still be much shorter than 39 pages.

Can always get the selected applicant to do the stat dec etc, if necessary, when signing up the lease.

Yes it is NRAS but should still be much shorter than 39 pages.

Can always get the selected applicant to do the stat dec etc, if necessary, when signing up the lease.

Maybe part of it is from the consortium not just the PM? If so, perhaps its just ticking the boxes required to pass regulations.

Although 39 pages does sound ridiculous. 8 pages of income questions? That's a bit much. Renting a property for 12 months income info is ~ two-three times as long as the income section for 30 year mortgage applications!

Even for NRAS that's crazy.

Although after re-reading, I'm more surprised at the fact the PM doesn't do weekend inspections....

Used the form for the viewing and the comments were to the same effect. Gave out 4 applications and doubt we will get 1 back as who can be bothered filling out a 39 page application on the off chance of getting a place to rent. Went through the application with one group and helped them complete it, so hopefully we have secured a new tenant to start straight after the current tenant vacates.

39 page application form, is this a record?

That sounds like a lot of missed opportunities - that application proforma is far too long - a helpful strategy would be to get an experience agent to review their forms and work to summarise them to a handful of succinct pages

I never had to fill in that many pages even when applying for post grad studies

Back