Newbie -Invest or pay off PPOR?

Hi all, been lurking for a few days, reading and learning. I am really looking for some advise please. I have equity of $200k in my PPOR and am a 40 something single parent, on a decent enough wage in a secure job. My question is, do I pay all I can into my PPOR, or borrow to invest? I currently have the opportunity to purchase an immaculate 3 bed 1 bath property in Bundaberg for $225K. Rental return is $270 per week. I would borrow 100%, and pay interest only. I will be out of pocket $30per week, at the most. Being a single parent, I obviously need to invest carefully and with calculated risk.

My strategy is buy and hold for ten years, hopefully accumulating a couple of other properties along the way. I will sell one in ten years, to help the kids with uni etc, and keep the other/s as income.

I have had a rental property in the past, with my ex, and made great returns as we bought pre boom and sold post. I am a little more cautious now, with the little people to think of, but know that I need a wealth creation strategy for my and their future.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Just be aware that you can't borrow '100%' - you are always using equity in your own home first. Besides you can pay down your existing PPOR debt while investing at the same time so you have the best of both worlds.

Back