Newbie looking to buy a to subdivide some advise on what to look for.

Hi Everyone,

We are looking at some general advise about subdividing. Hubby and are are looking to buy a block with the intention of building two dwellings on the block, when we have enough equity. One would be our PPOR, and the other an investment property.

Ideally, we would like to buy an existing house and build another on the back, but blocks that size are hard to come by (and expensive). The other option is to buy an old house, tearing it down in a few years and building two new townhouses.

We are looking in the Blackburn North/Blackburn/Box Hill North Area.
Can anyone give us any general advise in regards to block size and type to look for? Also, any personal experience with building in the Whitehorse area?

For example, would a block of 655 be big enough to build two 3 bedrooms (one townhouse needs to have a double garage)? Should I be taking the section 32s to the planning or building department and ask their advise first and how accurate would it be considering planning laws would change by the time we're ready to build? How much consideration should I give to the orientation of the block? etc.

Just starting out, so any advise is welcomed.

Engage the services of an experienced surveyor/subbdivision expert.

Pay very close attention to the layout of sewer/stormwater connections and easements - a perfect block may have an easement diagonally across it making it impossible to build on.

Check with your council on minimum frontages for subdivision, minimum land size for subdivision, maximum net land coverage ratios, setbacks from street and fences and easements.

All the above can kill your idea before it gets off the ground.

hi evshaun,

I'm an architect who have been involved in many sub-division development in Metropolitan Melbourne.

There is no minimum block size for sub-division, smaller blocks get you smaller townhouses and bigger blocks can accommodate for bigger developments therefore more profit.

North facing orientation is preferable but not essential, the designers should always be able to maximise northern sun light anyway.

Therefore when purchasing a block for sub-division you don't have to look for something big but do try find a square rectangular site rather than trapezium or curved site boundaries. The shape of the site determines site coverage for your new buildings.

Hi Frank, thanks for update. I guess my question about minimum block size comes from the fact that one of the townhouses will be our PPOR and needs to be big enough for our family Min 3 Br + study + two living areas and double garage.

I was told that you wouldn't be able to subdivide a block under 600sq? Would a surveyor be intested in talking to us even though we're not ready to start anything yet?

At the moment we can only afford to buy the block and rent out the house for a few years. We will be waiting to get the debt down to a more managable level before we can consider building.

Evashaun

There is probably no point speaking to land surveyors at this point ever there's anyone you like to speak to Re: confirmation on minimum block size for sub-division. You would ring up Whitehorse council Planning department who will tell you there's no minimum block of land for subdivision however, a land can only be subdivided after a planning permit has been granted or something along those lines.

I can ensure you that I have seen properties less than 300m2 in size and I am in the process of applying for a planning permit for a duloc on a 525m2 block in Burwood East.

In most cases, 600m2 is sufficient to build 2 x double storey 3+1 townhouses in Residential Zone 1 areas in Whitehorse.

Engage the services of an experienced surveyor/subbdivision expert.

Pay very close attention to the layout of sewer/stormwater connections and easements - a perfect block may have an easement diagonally across it making it impossible to build on.

Check with your council on minimum frontages for subdivision, minimum land size for subdivision, maximum net land coverage ratios, setbacks from street and fences and easements.

All the above can kill your idea before it gets off the ground.

I was going to say the same thing, but Dave beat me to it. Also, check for road widening, flooding, vegetation or heritage protection.

hi evshaun,

There is no minimum block size for sub-division, smaller blocks get you smaller townhouses and bigger blocks can accommodate for bigger developments therefore more profit.

Is there a minimum width a block needs to be for subdivision?

So you're saying I can subdivide a 400 sq m block in Melbourne to

accomodate 2 houses each on a spearate lot?

Is there a minimum width a block needs to be for subdivision?

So you're saying I can subdivide a 400 sq m block in Melbourne to

accomodate 2 houses each on a spearate lot?
Yes it is possible, however I would recommend you speak to a town planner or building designer beforehand to know that it is 100% possible for your block of land. From here you will need to speak to a surveyor to get the ball rolling.

If you like I can send you on some pdf's and checklists which guide you through the process.

Ashley

Back