noisy neightbours solutions please.

We have neighbours that every few weeks are very noisy till 4 am
its a particular noise but i dont want to bring that up.
after they go to sleep at 4 am i find i cant so i lose out on all night of sleep because once my sleep is interupted i dont go back to sleep easily.
I have some extra difficulties in my life currently and my sleep is really important, its a basic human need.
I've tried talking to them or writing them polite letters or talking to people who are in charge of those who are staying in that home currently, to no avail. They were quieter but still very very very audible.
I may go to the police now and also again talk to the owners and people in charge of those staying there.
What solutions have others found worked please.

Thanks.

This is a difficult situation to be in. My neighbour the parents are very nice and decent people, but their 20 something son seems on drug or something, every second word is a F word, same with the "mates". Luckily not too many noisy all night parties, thank god for that. Where I live is a pretty good suburb, so not sure what this 20 something a student or what ?

You can bring an action under the law of tort if you want to go down a civil legal route. It utilises an individuals right to use of their land without unreasonable interference. The interference needs to significant, but the courts have found that even loss of one nights sleep is significant. You can seek damages or more usually an injunction, which restrains the neighbour from doing the thing that causes interference.

Perhaps you should go knock on their door when they are being noisy?

Might be a mood killer to see you in your jammies all pissed off?

Perhaps you should go knock on their door when they are being noisy?

Might be a mood killer to see you in your jammies all pissed off?

I did this with a family that were having an overloud, very late party that kept me awake. It worked and they never did it again. :D

Why not call the Police??? Any noise that is audible from the footpath is too loud by law and the Police will shut it down. Excessive noise is one of my most hated things and if it is stopping you or your family sleeping / etc then call Police.

I know a lot of people do not deem it serious enough to call but many Police officers enjoy shutting down noisy parties :D

If you have a router rename your wifi "we can hear you having ***". They wont know where it will come from.

Or just record them getting busy and put the recording in the mail box, maybe they don't realise people can hear them?

Hire a XXX tape & play it loud....childish I know, but perhaps they'll realise how thin the walls are :)

Last edited:
Hire a tape :confused:

Just go on the internet, as you are right now, type in XXX to google and wait for the 3 million pop ups & options to choose from :D

Okay, okay, so I'm speaking as though I'm from another century :eek:

Do what Brett says then, go on that new fangled in-ter-net & google :D

Hee hee, I'm shaking my head sadly & laughing at myself too....my head was saying 'DVD' while my hands were typing 'tape'....mental note, bring hands into line with the 21st century ;)

Check what the local laws are; many jurisdictions have local laws (ie Council by-laws or regulations) which prohibit noise that is audible outside your own property between certain hours, eg 11am to 7pm. Then call the Police, and log it, every single time that they make noise between these hours.

Write a letter and get the other neighbours to sign it. Send it to your local Councillor.

If they're tenants, write to the PM / landlord.

Continue to create paperwork and make problems for them with authorities, until it becomes easier for them to be quiet. :)

Back