Non-Property/Valuable Investments You Own?

Would be interested to hear about any non-property investment items which you might own - maybe a gold nugget, the Codex Leicester, or Winchester Model 1892. I'm looking for some cool things to buy so might give me some ideas.

Not crazily valuable, but I have a Beatles card from 1964 which was signed by George, Paul, Ringo, John (John has signed it twice), Wilfred Brambell (co-star Hard Day's Night - Pauls grandfather), Eric Sykes (comedian and actor), Polly Devlin (60s Journo), also another unidentified signature. There is a whole explanation/story on why they are all signed it together and it's on an Australian Cricket dinner card. It's pretty cool.

I own a mountain of DJ equipment (because I'm a cool DJ :D ) left over from my DJ days that generates a good return (ie kept me alive in my first year living in Darwin). In general a set of equipment costs aroundabout 3k, and rents out for 120 a day. Generally it pays for itself in the first year, and after that, is clean profit barring breakdown (which generally doesn't happen for a couple of years).

I'm a big fan of owning things of real worth, and having multiple pillars of income. Yeah sure buying a property can generate great profits long term when you finally cash in, but by way of contrast, active investment of DJ equipment yields far greater percentage profits in the here and now, without the fuss of requiring a real estate agent or paying CGT upon sale. Besides, I can throw a festival of a few thousand people whenever I feel like it, which is always fun :)

I find the concept good, and will likely lump in earth moving equipment with the next (major) project.

I don't consider them investments as I will never sell them but I own around 50 Newcastle Knights jerseys from various years/designs with 4 signed and framed ones by the whole team and at least 4 or 5 more fully signed by the whole team just not yet framed. And also about 5 jerseys signed by only Andrew Johns. Not worthless DIY signings but professionally signed pieces which will hang nicely around my mansion in years to come :cool:

Art collection.

Conservative value of 190k. Total purchase cost of about 45k.

Has done better than my property.

Friends with a valuable collection of art 20 years ago didn't insure it due to the prohibitive premiums for such things.

Do you insure your art? Do you have a back to base alarm system or a big dog? Where do you live? :D:p

Watched the Antiques Roadshow for a couple of minutes yesterday and this bloke came on and had about 60 or so Nikon camera's. Large variety from everyday to professional series camera's from the end of WWII! There looked to be alot there, but the owner went on to explain that it was probably only 5% of his actual collection (assuming the most expensive/rare 5%) and that 5% was valued at $375,000!!!

I've got the very first, professional Canon 1d (digital)...4MP! Was $16,000 brand new - I paid $1000 quite a few years back now. Just a paper weight for now, been told ~$700 to fix!

Interesting. Any well known artists?

I'd love a nice Aboriginal artwork for my house but my husband said it was him or the painting...

I'm still thinking about the painting... :p

Mainly modern-Australian stuff.

Macleod, Quilty etc

I did have a Williams but I sold it.

I like having investments on my walls rather than just being a piece of paper.

Hrmm I wonder if any of you would count what I have as a 'valuable investments'.

Collection of Silver 'Nazi' Reichsmarks,

stamp collections,

Newspaper front pages (start and end of WW1 & WW2, Don Bradman, Moon landing etc)

old texts (oldest being 1700's),

Militaria (helmets, post cards, letters, de-activated firearms),

Two full coin sets of every event from the Sydney Olympics. IIRC they were around $5-10 a coin...

And for the gamers amongst us, Original full box, manuals and diskettes of games including Doom.

I like to collect interesting things which are worth a reasonable amount of money, but are being sold for cents on the dollar. It takes a long time to accumulate things, but that is half the fun. I studied History and Politics in university, so I have a strong leaning towards pieces which are related... The dollar value of these items are not important to me, I find a lot more value in their personal, emotional values.

My Son... :D

It seems that everyone else is quite materialistic.... :cool: Life isn't just about objects.....

Ok, technically I don't "own" him, but it is an investment of an entirely more rewarding kind than mere $...

Back