im looking at buying my first [property

budget is 325-330k... House or townhouse

just wondering on the following suburbs in Brisbane

Kallagur/Kippa Ring
Murrumba Downs
Zillmere/Castledine
Strathpine/Braypark/Lawnton
Redcliffe peninsula

I originally grew up not far from this area in Bridgeman Downs/McDowall however have been out of the area in Eastern Subrubs of Sydney for some time.... the areas mentioned have come along way from what they were 20 years ago, just wondering if there is any long term value from a capital investment but also from a rental yeild perspective

looking forward to the responses..Mitch

Um, Carseldine might be similar to Bridgeman Downs and McDowell, but it will still be another world away from Eastern Sydney. None of the other places will bear the slightest resemblance to Eastern Sydney or Bridgeman Downs.

That's probably not what you wanted to read, hey.

Just a newbie here but from what ive seen people love Zillmere

Im buying a cheap unit in Strathpine, renting for $275 (soon to be $285)

I was looking in those areas too but for units $250K and under. You should be able to find plenty of nice townhouse/ Villa, house in that price range.

John.

Um, Carseldine might be similar to Bridgeman Downs and McDowell, but it will still be another world away from Eastern Sydney. None of the other places will bear the slightest resemblance to Eastern Sydney or Bridgeman Downs.

That's probably not what you wanted to read, hey.

It's not even remotely what was asked.

Taigum is ok but you are a bit limited by the fact that it is a little further from the train line than some other suburbs.

I really like Fitzgibbon. It is a stones throw from Carseldine but generally slightly cheaper. Most of Fitzgibbon is walking distance from Carseldine station/bus interchange and the new Government hub at the old uni campus (i.e. jobs). Also has good links to shops, schools etc (which is about to become even better when the Norris Rd Extension opens). All this leads to rental demand and subsequently yield.

You have the option to buy older stock (10-15 yrs) on mid-sized blocks in the older part of Fitzgibbon, or new stock in the new Fitzgibbon chase if that is what you prefer in terms of low maintenance and depreciation. I suggest sticking to the areas which are within walking distance to the train station.

IMHO Fitzgibbon Chase is one of the best urban developments the Brisbane Northside has seen in quite a long time in terms of access, green space, parking and general spacious feeling. S**ts all over Northlakes if you ask me - not least because prices are comparable yet Fitzgibbon is significantly closer to the city and has much better public transport.

Hi Mitch
Not an expert by any means but i live in Brisbane (northside) and work in Kallangur. Heres my tidbits for you.

Kallangur/Kippa Ring - new rail line going through Kallangur. They are busy at it right now. Lots and lots of newish townhouse developments. Would try for a house in Kippa-ring/kallangur over townhouse.
Murrumba Downs- a lot of new townhouses and a real estate agent I know told me last year that they are having trouble renting them. Newer nicer area than kallangur, they are adjoining suburbs.

Heaps of new land being bulldozed just to the north of Kallangur to make way for new housing estates in Dakabin and also across the hwy in Mango Hill/Griffin.

Zillmere/Carseldine - i purchased an IP house in Carseldine last year. Im hoping for some CG in the future. Wish I had bought a townhouse there 10 years ago, they have done well. Nice suburb and convenient. Zillmere has come a long long way over the years, lots of new developments.
Strathpine/Braypark/Lawnton - not sure.
Redcliffe peninsula - not sure.

As the poster above said -There is a fairly massive development going on in fitzgibbon (Fitzgibbon chase) at the moment. Lots of tiny little townhouses and houses within walking distance to the rail line. Quite hip and modern looking, all landscaped nicely. Looks like young couple tenant heaven. I did have a fairly good look around last year but the tiny land component put me off. Didn't do any number crunching either.

Cheers, nat

Good info Nattl3s, thanks.

Do you consider Strathpine and Bracken Ridge to be in the same category as those you mentioned?

What do you think of houses under 350k in north side rather than townhouses/units?

Do you consider Strathpine and Bracken Ridge to be in the same category as those you mentioned?
What do you think of houses under 350k in north side rather than townhouses/units?

Hi DT

My personal thoughts.
Bracken ridge is a reasonably priced area. You can still pick up an older 3 bed house for around $350. 4 bedders up to $450K. Tenants will generally need transport, though Norris Rd has a good bus link to the city. Not as many townhouses as Taigum and surrounding suburbs. I have have never liked the "look" of the area, its flat, a bit marshy in areas, bordered by hwy, gateway motorway has power lines and large telcom poles. However, the govie is creating new access roads into the area so may improve and the area between roghan rd and telegraph rd is being developed (may be part of fitzgibbon chase). Easy access to hwy and city.
Not as familiar with strathpine, lawnton, they are older areas but slightly off the main north south arterial roads leading to the gold/sunshine coast. Its on the train line.
How do Strathpine, Bracken ridge compare to the other suburbs? Closer to CBD mainly. Murrumba Downs is a very new nice suburb, the others are much older.

Townhouse versus house? Houses under $350k brisbane northside are hard to find. I would define Brisbane northside as anything south of the pine river BTW. I went for a house this time.

Cheers, nat

Hi DT

My personal thoughts.
Bracken ridge is a reasonably priced area. You can still pick up an older 3 bed house for around $350. 4 bedders up to $450K. ...
Townhouse versus house? Houses under $350k brisbane northside are hard to find. I would define Brisbane northside as anything south of the pine river BTW. I went for a house this time.

Cheers, nat

Be careful in the older parts of Bracken Ridge - there are several pockets which have lots of housing commission and the general feel of those areas has a definite 'low socio-economic' vibe compared to some other parts of the suburb. A 350-380k house would likely be in these areas. May make it hard to attract/retain decent tenants.

I'd personally go for a townhouse south of the Pine river versus something further north. It all comes back to distance from the CBD and supply versus demand of housing stock. There is a substantial amount of land north of the Pine that can/will be developed into further housing in the future. Much less so around Taigum/Zillmere/Carseldine/Fitzgibbon/Bracken Ridge.

I drove around bracken ridge last month and it exceeded my expectation given what I had read about the lower socko economic demographic. Houses generally maintained, no burnt out car in the front yard and a decent neighbourhood feel etc. Rental vacancy also seem to be low from talking to a local pm.

Brocky, is this for a townhouse or apartment?

It is a townhouse. Still heaps of bargains in the area zillmere/taigum. I don't worry about to many townhouses being built in the area as it is the demographic trend of these suburbs and people look at these suburbs because they want to buy townhouses.

Fitzgibbon is ok but I couldn't think of anything worse than living 500m away from a busy train line.

Carseldine is over priced and doesn't have the best yield if your looking to positive gear or be neutral. It's no superstar for capital growth either.

Bracken Ridge is becoming a better area now lacks public transport but it is getting better.

Boondall has always been a steady performer it's well connected to the highway and has two train stations. They just built a town house complex on bicentennial road I think they are the first town houses I have seen in Boondall. They sold quickly to maybe it might start a new trend for the area.

Hi Mitch

From the suburbs you have identified, I would suggest you focus your search on the Redcliffe/Kipparing area.

The jury is still out on how much, if any, the new rail line will improve growth prospects for the Redcliffe area, but in my opinion (& given recent market activity in this area), it would be my pick of the outer northern suburbs.

With all the infrastructure planned and already happening in the peninsular, it is a safe bet for capital growth. I would suggest that you buy in the Clontarf/Margate areas and try to get within walking distance to the waterfront as much as your price point allows.

While the rental yield may not be terrific at the moment, I believe that capital growth to be gained will outweigh the lower rental factor at least until momentum really picks up there.

Cheers Stephen

Back