Not even a concrete box in the air

So just coming back on this (others can answer for me) TPF used a property or properties as additional security for a commercial purchase to get the best interest rates and terms? Because from the banks perspective it's lower risk because if it for some reason went belly up they have more in their palms to play with?
It's all about keeping LVR within their comfort.

He had one title "free and clear". If you buy another property of comparable value, offer both titles as security, and borrow 100% of the new property's purchase price, then you're effectively only at 50% LVR. eg Had $10M property free and clear, borrow $10M to buy another property worth $10M, then you now have $20M in property and $10M in debt - 50% LVR.

Or if your free and clear title is more valuable, eg $10M, and your new purchase is $1M, then you leave your new title free and clear, and just borrow against the first title at 10% LVR.

There are almost infinite variations, the point is you have to offer the lender security that's at least worth 1.5 x what you want to borrow. (Which would give you 67% LVR, close to the max LVR of 70%.)

fantastic news daz ... this rolling stone of yours is getting covered faster and faster in more and more moss.

inspirational.

Yes, that is correct ozperp....Banks just ask to hold all of the cards (deeds) close to their chest.

We have 4 parties in this group, and each fortunately have free and clear title deeds from IP houses. We are chucking those 4 houses into the pot, which together nearly form the deposit. Top that up with a wadful of cash, and voila.....deposit ready to go.

Bit like monopoly really....4 houses plus lotsa money equals a small bit of a concrete box.

you don't need to answer this - but obviously this is a deal that is cashflow positive with strong, long term tenants in place. how did you hear about the opportunity and, if it were advertised in the public arena, why wasn't everyone else all over it?

you don't need to answer this - but obviously this is a deal that is cashflow positive with strong, long term tenants in place. how did you hear about the opportunity and, if it were advertised in the public arena, why wasn't everyone else all over it?

Hi lizzie,

No problems. I'm not a card carrying member of the secret squirrel club.

The agent sent it to me about 6 months ago when it was listed for sale. We had done business in the past. Agents always hang onto people who have completed deals with them previously...as opposed to the other sort.

I told the agent it was cr@p and wasn't interested.....no land component....not my cup of tea. What else did he have ??

Five months pass, with it being advertised in the newspaper every week. No takers. Anyone with the means could have bought this thing with no competition.

Your assumption that people would be interested and clamouring for this type of thing just does not bear out in reality. Maybe the interest is there....but people just don't know how to go about it, or do not have the means ??

The ones that do have the means usually drive a far harder bargain than myself or are looking for a nice big chunk of dirt...like we usually do.

In any case, I reckon there is a big void that needs to be filled there.

Anyways, last month my BIL sees it advertised in the newspaper again and casually says he would love to buy it, or a bit of it mores the point. All of a sudden, within two days, everyone else in the family suddenly jumps on the bandwagon and says they also want in. The Govt tenant was a big factor.

We checked that they had the means of stumping up some deeds, sorted out the %ages of ownership.....and then called the agent.

Within the week, we had inspected the property, and agreed a price with the Vendor.

No-one else was even remotely sniffing around. The agent was glad to get it off his books. I guess these types of properties are normally looked at by the Grossreal's of this world, who offer "half price, take it or leave it"......with of course 99.99% of Vendors leave it, and so there are plenty of deals for muggins like me who are prepared to pay a normal price.

So, bugger all interest overall and other than us, absolutely no takers whatsoever. On reflection, very similar to all of our other deals. In 2020, I think we will look back on this and comment that it was a good step to take.

One thing I do know for sure, the poxy GFC will once again have zero bearing on what we do.

Hi all,

Dazz, your a disgrace, there was I going along happily thinking that there might be some type of opportunity in the farmland that is coming onto the market from TIM and GTP in my area, but not really thinking about doing anything about it.

Then along you come inspirational thread etc etc, it's just not fair. Now I have to get off my lazy ar$e and start making enquiries.

bye

PS well done.

We have 4 parties in this group, and each fortunately have free and clear title deeds from IP houses. We are chucking those 4 houses into the pot, which together nearly form the deposit. Top that up with a wadful of cash, and voila.....deposit ready to go.

Bit like monopoly really....4 houses plus lotsa money equals a small bit of a concrete box.

Congrats again, Dazz! Another inspirational venture!!

Just love it when you can 'swap' four green houses for one big red hotel (... or big tin shed ... or big concrete box)! :D

Cheers
Lynn

But Dazz, how can you sleep??

The market is going to fall by 40% by end of the year isnt it? it said on Today Tonight...
J/Ks

Good work, makes me feel like i have "rusty nuts" compared to your hot ones...

Keep up the success stories.

Things would need to get quite a bit worse for the scenario to happen.
Also the bigger the tenant is, the less merit their argument holds, as they
are big enough to know the commercial risks of the contracts they enter.
And if the tenant is bigger than the landlord, I doubt they'll have a chance.
The may have a chance though at causing some legal fees, and use that as a bargaining chip.
If the tenant is a micro biz, and the LL is a big evil empire, and half the city blocks
are vacant, maybe some judge will take pity.
Also in my experience when this happens it's fairly localized to certain areas of a city.
But I have seen times where rents decreased and more vacants than occupied
along strips. And sooner or later leases run out.
Sometimes at the right time, sometimes not.

Last edited:

This would not have much of an impact on Dazz's deal. The tenants can only question a market review, not a CPI or fixed review. Most (good) Leases will have a provision that states that if there is a market review and if the review suggests that the market has dropped, then the review will revert to CPI or a fixed increase instead. At the very minimum, there can't be a drop in rent.
However, as it has been pointed out numerous times previously, there are Leases and then there are Leases...

Boods

Good on ya for getting the family involved, I am all for this I really want to help my family.

If the property falls back in value, how will you deal with this? I know it is not a biggy in terms of cashflow, lease etc. but will the family cope with this?

Fantastic news!
Amazing how you can get all this organised so quickly now.
I can't wait to see how things progress for you over the coming years now that you are doing this full time!

Back