Nras

There hasn't been much posted here about the governments National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS)?

We've noticed a lot of advertising though in the papers and magazines of late.

http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessionals/content.asp?doc=/content/00142005.htm

Under the new National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) announced in March 2008, the Australian Government will provide $622.6 million over four years for the provision of 50,000 affordable rental properties across Australia for low and middle income earners.

The government's financial incentive will be delivered in two ways:

1.The Federal Government will provide an annual incentive to property investors of $6,000 per property for up to ten years, which can be claimed via a refundable tax offset.

2.State and Territory governments have agreed to provide annual support of at least $2,000 per annum per property for up to 10 years. The state and territory contribution may take the form of cash grants, concessions on stamp duty or other tax credits.

The scheme is a fantastic opportunity for both tenants and investors:

•For tenants, new housing will be available for low to middle income earners at 20% under the market rental rates;

•For investors, the tax credits attached equate to an annual tax deduction of nearly $27000 per year (based on a marginal tax rate of 30%. In addition, tax benefits associated with negative gearing are still available.'

It is important to note that the refundable NRAS tax offsets can be obtained throughout the year using the Income Tax Withholding Variation (ITWV) application process. Using this process, investors do not have to wait to lodge their tax returns to receive their financial incentive

This is the worrying part:

"For tenants, new housing will be available for low to middle income earners at 20% under the market rental rates"

Anyone heard of Detroit???

Hi Wasp

I've just read a bit about it too. My concerns would be whether you would have any say over who the tenants were ,as from my reading of it, they can/would be referred by various govt/non govt organisations?. And, could a landlord do the normal checks and balances on the tenants to ensure that they are not serial IP destroyers? Also, could being locked into an agreement with the govt have an affect on the selling price of the IP if it had to be sold with such a tenant /agreement in place? Just seems that the IP owner may lose a fair bit of control in order to get a few dollars.......:(

Do the tax credits increase with CPI each year? As $6000 per year may not be of significant value in 10 years time when considering the restrictions imposed.

Anyone know how to apply for this scheme?

This is the worrying part:

"For tenants, new housing will be available for low to middle income earners at 20% under the market rental rates"

Anyone heard of Detroit???

It's not entire suburbs, it's some properties in an area.

Anyone know how to apply for this scheme?
As a developer you mean???

Otherwise as an investor I think you just buy off a developer that has already been approved for the scheme.

We are selling NRAS properties in Tassie. Because the wages are lower here than interstate a larger section of the rental pool becomes eligble to qualify. This is great for the investor becuase it means the tenant gets to pay 20% below the market rent which is a good incentive (but no guarantee)for them to be model tenants.

The returns are in excess of 7% and come with a 10 year Govt guarantee.

Couple of recent examples

$280,000 rents for $407 pw

$450,000 pp rents for $700 pw

From a proppective tenants point of view - basically in a short, you have to earn under a certain limit (I believe around 41K) to be able to qualify to rent a NRAS house. You are eligible to keep renting this house until you hit a certain income bracket (I think around 50k). I believe once you go over this limit you have something like 6 months to find alternate accomodation. The levels go up slightly depending on situations if your a single occupant, married with dependants etc.

The owner of the property is required to rent at 20% under market value. Other than this it is like any other rental property and in the end the owner picks the tenants out of the pool of applicants.

The current income thresholds for tenant eligibility as at 1 December 2008 are:
Household Types Entry level annual income Upper income level
Single person $40 501 $50 626

Couples or sole parents with up to 1 child $55 991 $69 989

Couple or sole parent with 2 children $69 423 $86 779

Couple or sole parent with 3 or more children $82 855 $103 569

Hi Paramount, I find the figures perplexing. $280000 property renting for $407 pw in Tassie?

How is this '20% below market rate'?

I've flown to Launceston [really love the houses there] & I've checked the rentals & the houses in Hobart.

I wouldn't be going anywhere near this kind of 'investment' until the numbers make more sense.

And be very very dubious about any tax incentive offered by the govt. Remember the tax incentives to support the film industry? I can tell you a horror story.

KY

Tassie Investment Homes

The market rent for this home was $300 per week.

80% of this is $240 plus the govt subsidy of $167 tax free = $407pw

The govt subsidy is indexed and this year has already gone up by 8.6%.(started at $154 pw).You do have to wait to the end of year to get the NRAS incentive.

From the tenants point of view if they had to choose between identical homes for $300 and one for $240 its pretty obvious which one will be selected.

From landlord point of view knowing the tenant has opportunity to get a home for 20% below market rent on the surface this would be a pretty good incentive(but not guarantee) for them to be a model tenant.

The risk over the quality of the homes and the tenants can be reduced with appropriate due diligence and topped up with insurance.

The strength of the govt guarantee is something that as individuals we have to decide on whether we accept will continue, personally I think its highly unlikely that a future govt (irrespective of party) will withdraw the subsidy, but thats just me.

I havent investigated it but it would seem that it could also provide a alternative (new) pathway to home ownership and present an opportunity for wrapping opportunities, shared equity etc. This would be great outcome for all the stakeholders investors, tenants, community and enviroment.

We are selling NRAS properties in Tassie. Because the wages are lower here than interstate a larger section of the rental pool becomes eligble to qualify. This is great for the investor becuase it means the tenant gets to pay 20% below the market rent which is a good incentive (but no guarantee)for them to be model tenants.

The returns are in excess of 7% and come with a 10 year Govt guarantee.

Couple of recent examples

Hi paramount
where are the properties in TAS you are selling? I am interested in NARS, can you please post more details re those properties or PM me
thanks

We are selling NRAS properties in Tassie. Couple of recent examples

The market rent for this home was $300 per week.

80% of this is $240 plus the govt subsidy of $167 tax free = $407pw

OK, now lets get this in perspective. The property DOES NOT YIELD 7%. You have admitted that the RENT would be $240pw, then add the subisdy to bring in up to $407pw rent.

As an investor I want to know what they yield on a property is WITHOUT any subsidy. Then anything extra I get is cream. Personally the return from one of these properties is not good enough. I can find a property that returns 7% yield without subsidies. It wasn't until Paramount posted the below quote that you came out and told the whole truth.
Hi Paramount, I find the figures perplexing. $280000 property renting for $407 pw in Tassie?

How is this '20% below market rate'?

KY

From what I have seen of the Companies that are selling the NRAS properties, they seem to have a nice slab of profit built into it for them. The properties seem to cost more than comparable properties, which rings alarm bells for me.

from the information available it would appear this scheme is not really targeted at individual investors?
it seems much of the housing has been/will be under the care of not for profit or housing coperatives?

i agree with others that have said the numbers seem confusing and would need further scrutiny.

not something to get involved with lightly.

i wonder how well the properties are selling, for example in tasmania?

a beautiful place agree and wonderful to have property there. not sure why it would be necessary to enter into this govt scheme to make investing in tassie worthwhile?

just a question to paramount, are you part of the paramount group aust. pty ltd? are the properties selling well under this scheme?
regards

NRAS clarifications

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd offer some information that yourselves or other people researching NRAS might find useful.

Firstly, as to the ability to select quality tenants, paramount is right in saying that the 20% below market value rent definitely leads to more competition for the property from potential tenants. This means a greater pool for the landlord to select from. Also, since the income threshold for NRAS eligibility is quite high, you will find that the average private tenant is in fact eligible for NRAS. NRAS is not your old fashioned social housing, but designed to support employed and active members of our community who are facing housing stress due to the undersupply of housing in Australia.

Secondly, the tax incentives are indexed inline with the CPI.

Thirdly, my company Onyx is also selling NRAS properties, and we are finding that they are literally going like hotcakes! We are selling out large offerings within days, this has really been embraced by the property investors we work with.

Hope this helps clear up some confusion, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post here or PM me.

Hi Paul,

There's another thread here that has gone into a few pages that maybe worth reading and contributing to as well NRAS

There's a number of queries regarding financing, re-financing, re-sale etc that you maybe able to respond to ...from memory ONYX does finance also?

There have been some concerns raised in the news regarding the scheme and developers i.e. Scheme not paying the rent

Thanks Redwing, I'll check it out.

Yes, at Onyx we do organise finance for NRAS properties, as well as sourcing the properties and taking care of a lot of the paperwork.

Back