NSW... lawyer overcharging

Have a tax client with a problem. Interested in some guidance. A long running tax dispute that involved a law firm charging that family close to $2m without settling. I introduce a lawyer and in two weeks it's settled for a fraction of the former negotiations. . I suspect a law firm that wanted it to never settle. Overcharging is suspected. I can't dispute their fees but the non settlement is overcharging? Any views on where to start to consider action to dispute the former lawyers? I know the clock is ticking buto am firmly convinced of routing for years. One of their former lead lawyers admitted to some ethical issues and abruptly left but couldn't explain. That silence itself a concern. Suggestions?

Client needs to ask for an itemised bill. Then take that bill to a cost assessor. They will be able to advise.

Yes, first step would be complain to the firm billing. Then costs assess it. Also a complaint.

I've seen that lawyers do lots of unnescceary work.This is why I prefer to charge a fixed fee.

The problem isnt the details of the bill or the charge rate etc...Thats not in dispute. What is really the key issue is that they continued to go down a single path of billable hours without spending the time and client $ to settle it.

The problem isnt the details of the bill or the charge rate etc...Thats not in dispute. What is really the key issue is that they continued to go down a single path of billable hours without spending the time and client $ to settle it.

Breach of contract maybe. Not acting in the clients best interest, breach of fiduiary duty.

NSW lawyer overcharging

Take the matter to the Legal Services Commissioner. It is their job to investigate complaints about lawyers.

I think I would still be getting an itemised account, it forces then to explain what they were doing for all of that time and may be evidence for a claim.

Back