Number Cruncher

Great little calculator jaffasoft!! I'd pay for it because I don't find maths fun at all. I think that paypal /donation idea is a good one. Also found the site itself impressive so had a good squizz around. You need a few more jokes though :)

And about the principal? Ditch it and promote interest only :D

It's all right about the spelling if you hadn't mentioned it then it would not of got fixed. It's been peoples comments along the way that have made these calculators progress, as when people say things it spurs me into action heck you should have seen the first one their was dozens of things that we're fixed and changed as it evolved.

I have considered selling a package once I have a suit of useful tools that people could use and it's probably getting to that stage now. But I think I would have to redesign them all and make two lot's one would be the run of the mill online for everyone to use as they exist now i.e. easy English and easy steps to use and to understand. Then the sale package that would be a premium package which would bundle them all up in a user friendly program so that the little text area down the bottom of each one would structure a printable document that could be taken to professional businesses such as solicitors accountant's so it would be in that type of layout and language. Other then that I don't think they are worth paying, I haven't really done enough on the design side either.

I don't mind offering them for free as that has got a regular stream of people going to the site and if I can generate a JV with someone by them signing up in the subscription that this would pay for all the effort of making the calculators and the other parts of the site so if a Joint venture came to fruition then this would be the ultimate thing and I would be happy with everything I have done with the site and would leverage me into an investment. And just choking at the bit to put carpentry and reno skills into action on a house.

I'm getting a few ideas from gross and directions so I hope something pans out there!

Yep need more jokes I only put that one in from reading it on the forum but havent found any I liked since!

Hi Jaffasoft,

Loved your site and number cruncher. Only thing I might add is to expand your list of costs. eg instead of just having an annual expenses field, break the field down into actual costs. eg Insurance, Rates ect.

Not everybody knows these costs as a whole dollar value or percentage, but most people know off the top of their heads how much their rates bill or insurance bill is.

Just my 2c worth.

Good work.

Ronulas,

I think you might need to be looking at the Big Brother of this latest number cruncher.

As the purpose of this particular 'Number Cruncher' calculator is to break down all those annual costs and closing costs to one input field which is as a general rule about 2.5% for annual and 5% for purchase and Stamp Duty costs so it's for quick rough general calculations.

Then when you want to break it all down for every possible cost for the closing costs and annual costs Etc. Use the Property Analysis Calculator in the web site www.Jaffasoft.com it has about 100 input fields and I think that is everything you are requesting and much more.

Just a note that your 'median house price calculator' (elsewhere on your site) actually calculates the mean/average.

cheers, Tony

Thanks,

Care to explain how the median house price is derived to try and clarify that.

Did you find and other errors in the site?

It would be good if you made the deposit $ field a fill in one so you don't have to guess the percentage if you know how much cash you have.

I know where your com'en from there!

It's a bit tricky as it takes the 'Property Price' and does the percentage. Doing it the other way would exclude the percentage.

Might be able to work something out. Give me a little while.

G'day Jaffasoft,

Care to explain how the median house price is derived to try and clarify that.
The median is simply the "middle" price. i.e. If properties sold total 121, then property #61's value is "the middle" (or median) value - halfway between #1 and #121.

For the average, ALL property values are totalled, then the total divided by the number of properties involved. This latter would not normally be too far away from the median - but, where it does come unstuck is where either the "high end" or the "low end" have an unusually high representation.

Of course, even the median can be skewed by this anomaly, but usually not as skewed as the average can be, thus more accurate.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Here's the way I look at it Jaffa (maybe somebody can simplify it though as Maths is not my strong point)...

There is;
Mode (Most Frequent)
Mean (Average)
Median (Middle)

Say six (6) properties sold for the following in an area:

$200K, $200K, $350K,$400K,$425K, $450K

Mode for the properties = $200K

Mean for the properties = $337,500

Median for the properties = $375K

As you can see there is a difference of $40,000.00 between the Mean (Average) and the Median.

Thanks for you efforts Jaffascott.l am enjoying the play.How are you comming along with the deposit field ie making it a fill in as l havent put in deposits on my ips apart from a 1k or there abouts.
cheers yadreamin

grossreal,

you posted

"can we get an idea of the worst at grammer on the forum
I always like to be out the front."

there is no such word as "grammer"...its grammar.

"hi jaffasoft
for me its the principal behind the idea thats important not the spelling.( not sure if this principal is the right one either)"

Again..princip(le)=ru(le)
Principal is the first in rank or importance...I think of it like the school princi(pal) is my pal. In the context of money principal means constituting the original sum invested or lent

I may be able to spell when I want to...question how important this is unless your occupation involves a lot of letter writing (mine does). I'd prefer being able to make good property deals and having the courage and determination to see them through to finality.

Ajax

yadreamin, I will change it but I'm in the middle of the Nulabor a.t.m as I'm on my way over to Perth to see Redwing :) so he can tell me all his secrets about how to be a property millionaire.

Though I might actaully change the main calculator and add a manual 'Enter Dollar Value' field. The main calculator meaning the full on 'Property Analysis' calculator in the other section of the site. That be more accurate for you as well. In the mean time if you put .5 in the deposit percent for 200000 property that will be 1k so if you play with the percentage you can get pretty much on the ball!

Like your usename to 'yadreamin' mate if ya eva think I'm gunna be able ta spell. I kind of like everyones writing style in forums, bad spelling adds charactor I think. Although in web site fronts it is proper to try and get it right.

I'm starting to get the median and mean though it's more difficult to put it in a web site so not sure how to code it yet because quiet a few variables for that application.

Might re-word it so it says 'mean' and make a completely new one for a median calculator when a solution is found for how to code the math into flash.

Simple ,easy to understand and most importantly not cluttered.
Excellent work.
Total yeary exoenses expresed as a % of purchase price seems meaningless.
Why did you choose this.
Is there a graphics dispaly

Ok got across the Nullabor and at Esperence now. There was a guy in the Nullabor cafe using a wireless Laptop(get online anywhere nearly now in Australia). I thought the Nullabor would have been more then just a Roadhouse, there ain't much out there.

I have made the changes and uploaded the Median and Mean calculators. Thanks for that tonyd you've made a contribution. I used RedWings example number set in both of them. So that be good now, can see the mean and median and learnt something.

That's good to hear that's what I set out to do. Just can't stand site where there is so much crap all over the place that you can't see what’s in them. Anyone is supposed to be able to use these calculators down to the mum's & dad investors.

Why did I choose a percentage of the annual expenses? - Because I looked at the example for the other calc and the annual expenses came to around 2.5% of the purchase costs. It can be altered then in percentage terms. What's your logic to how it should be?

Is there a graphics display? - What do you mean by this? The next lot of calc's I do will have pie chart display graphs in them though they only really serve to look good. But yeah looking to get some graph's in them.

Still getting to the deposit thing.

Below is the code I used to make it happen, does it make cense to you, as you can see I know two languages. The degree of how well I know those languages varies :).

I got a coder to do that! This is actionscript code for flash.
Code:
//Here is the new function to find the median from an array of values;
function getMedian() {
	//Create a new array to store the values;
	var a = new Array();
	//Loop over all variables
	for (var i = 1; i <= 20; i++) {
		//If "mead"+i is not equal to zero, add its value to the array;
		//This negates the need for a separate box where the user writes how many boxes they filled;
		var val = Number(eval("mead"+i));
		if (val > 0 && !isNaN(val)) {
			a.push(val);
		}
	}
	//Sort the array;
	a.sort(Array.NUMERIC);
	//Find the middle value;
	var m = (a.length - 1) / 2;
	//If m is an integer, then just return that value from the array;
	if (m%1 == 0) {
		return a[m];
	} 
	//If not an integer, return the average of the two values either side;
	else {
		return (a[m-0.5] + a[m+0.5]) / 2;
	}
}

//Set the onPress behaviour;
calcMedianbtn.onPress = function() {
	meadianPrice = getMedian();
}

stop();
Math.formatDecimals = function(num, digits) {
	if (digits<=0) {
		return Math.round(num);
	}
	var tenToPower = Math.pow(10, digits);
	var cropped = String(Math.round(num*tenToPower)/tenToPower);
	if (cropped.indexOf(".") == -1) {
		cropped += ".0";
	}
	var halves = cropped.split(".");
	var zerosNeeded = digits-halves[1].length;
	for (var i = 1; i<=zerosNeeded; i++) {
		cropped += "0";
	}
	return (cropped);
};

Let me know if anything doesn't calculate right still!!

Last edited:
Thanks for your trans continental efforts jaffascott.:D
Hope you enjoy your stay in the wild west.
Off topic but l would be very interested in what it has cost you to drive over here.
cheers yadreamin

ps Redwing are you doing a seminar on wealth creation? [l am being cheeky]

Excellent work.
Total yeary exoenses expresed as a % of purchase price seems meaningless.
Why did you choose this.
Is there a graphics dispaly

I think yearly expenses should be expresed as a % of rental income.
This often ranges between 30 and 45 % for a fullyb managed properrt with insurance rates and repairs etc.

Back