Ocean grade requirements for new build

Hi guys,

Would really appreciate some help of advice on an issue I have with a new duplex development.
Property is in Sydney South, Miranda and the builder (project builders) have specified it required ocean grade requirements, such as exposure grade bricks/mortar, double dipped gal lintels, stainless brick ties, 32MPA concrete.

The thing is it's about 1km to the closest water, just a little sharp point of a bay.
The builder is saying that if it's within 1km, it needs ocean grade.
They just want to cover themselves for warranty purposes, the cost is an extra $7000.

Could the soil have anything to do with it?
I think it borders on slightly acidic soil or something like that.
However, really think ocean grade requirements is an overkill.

Is there any way I can find out if it really is necessary?
Obviously I don't want to spend the extra money if it's not required.

How can I find out a definate answer to this situation, pretty quick too.

Any advice?

Thanks

it's not the soil, it's the winds bringing microscopic drops of salt water from ocean

whether ocean grade is necessary for your house - i have no idea

Although I don't know your specific area, salt spray is most likely the problem. Have a few friends in beachside suburbs who have had/having problems with this issue. Aluminium windows get 'pitted' and steel rusts-fast. Also for less maintenance hassles, use best quality exterior paint you can find. Timber (WRC) windows are the go.

Project 1080.

The Project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

Thanks for the replies.

It's not a beachside suburb though.
And the aluminium window frames and guttering, fascia, downpipes, etc are not the higher grade salt resistant colorbond?

Could almost guarantee tho little old existing house which has been there for probably 60 + years is not ocean grade bricks and the rest, although it is structurally sound....

Back