Off to the US (west coast). Ideas?

I'm (unexpectedly) headed to the USA for a couple of weeks in November.

I have a commitment of 3-4 days in San Francisco, but otherwise my plans are very open.

Anyone been to the west coast recently and/or have recommendations of things to do, places to visit, where to stay, how to get around etc?

I went there when I was 10 and the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and Yosemite were big highlights -- I'd enjoy them again. So was Disneyland but I reckon it wouldn't have the same appeal two decades later.

I'd like to keep things pretty economical but don't want to waste the experience.

I'll probably book my accommodation via airbnb.

It's getting colder about then.

Napa Valley is about an hour north of S.F, but might be a bit drab at that time - still worth a drive I think.

South to Carmel is a nice drive, and the drive along "Big Sur" is spectacular (going south and further away from S.F though).

Of course; in S.F you must do Alcatraz (book early), you must walk across the Bridge, and visit Pier 39.

I enjoyed Disneyland as an adult as well as a teenager.

I love San Francisco. But then- I fell in love there, and later got married there. It's well worth exploring.

Plus everything Bayview said.

Napa valley wine tour I recommend....from what I remember it was well worth it

If you do Alcatraz take warm clothing!

But this was a fantastic experience: http://sf.darkdining.com/
You will have to book in advance as it does get busy. You are served by blind waiters in a pitch black restaurant. Unique experience.

Hire a mustang convertible and do highway 1 including stopping at Monterey bay, Hearst castle, and the redwoods. Awesome stuff

Back