Offer to buy now, or in 3 years at same price

Back to my original question, if you were in my situation would you buy the property now (and save the $7000 p.a.) or buy in 3 years (and hope the market decreases and I can buy the property for less than $450k)?

Without knowing the full details I would buy now.

However:
If you can get an option to purchase the building in 3 years time and only need to pay $21,000 ($7,000 over 3 years) knowing full well that if the market drops further that you will pick it up for less then I say take the option. Wording of the option is very important.

It is not a simple question as there is more to it.

Back to my original question, if you were in my situation would you buy the property now (and save the $7000 p.a.) or buy in 3 years (and hope the market decreases and I can buy the property for less than $450k)?

Easily answered. Will the property value drop by more than the 7k per year you save in rent? Are you willing to take that risk?

I'll be the devil's advocate. If you & the lessor have a falling out between now & 3 years & the value increases substantially between now & then do you think the deal will proceed?

To throw something else into the mix, is the depreciation over 3 years more than or closes the $21k gap?

I'll be the devil's advocate. If you & the lessor have a falling out between now & 3 years & the value increases substantially between now & then do you think the deal will proceed?

To throw something else into the mix, is the depreciation over 3 years more than or closes the $21k gap?

Great points Scott! I hadn't factored depreciation into my budgets as yet, it's a new build (2 years old) so depreciation will definitely come into it. Will need to speak with our accountant and see if their are any other tax incentives/disincentives.

Three years is a long time for relations to change so if there's substantial good will at the moment and it looks like you are being offered most of the upside then perhaps it's worth looking at locking that upside in with a call option, not a put/call but just a call so that you aren't tied in if there's downside movement, try and get it for as cheap a fee as possible :)

Three years is a long time for relations to change so if there's substantial good will at the moment and it looks like you are being offered most of the upside then perhaps it's worth looking at locking that upside in with a call option, not a put/call but just a call so that you aren't tied in if there's downside movement, try and get it for as cheap a fee as possible :)

I hear what your saying, landlord is a friend and a lovely bloke but anything can happen in 3 years...

I would have my accountant crunch the numbers on buying it now in my SMSF, I think it will be good news.

Then I would buy it now while the opportunity is there, too many things can change in 3 years to let it slide IMO

Back