Offset Accounts vs Savings Accounts vs....

Hello! I am new to this forum but I have heard it is a good source of info so hopefully I will be able to get some opinions :) Just a disclaimer, we will obviously get professional advice etc etc before actually doing anything with our investments, but I still would like to hear from people who have had personal experience.

So the situation is this:
My widowed mother has sold her house and has $540,000 cash in the bank. She is happy to downgrade to a house in the $350k bracket. In addition she receives around $25k per year from overseas (UK) pensions. Obviously this changes slightly with the exchange rate. I am currently living rent free, and will probably continue to at least in the short term and may work overseas etc so am not currently looking at purchasing property to live in. FWIW I'm 28, earn about $70k, no real debt, own a car outright worth $35k and some various other assets worth about another $40k. In the next 10 years or so we would expect to inherit at least another $300K++ cash which would go into the existing savings account/mortgage/round the world trip etc depending on the circumstances at the time. I'm an only child and will inherit everything eventually but I want mum to have the best lifestyle she can atm (i.e. I'm not planning on hoarding everything for my own benefit lol!)

So my mother isn't very good with money (in that she doesn't like the idea of owing anything to anyone and would rather just pay cash for a house and be done with it, and numbers freak her out) but has said if I can come up with a better plan for the money then go for it. She will not allow any investment in shares/businesses etc (that risk thing..) and is non-negotiable in that. Neither will she allow multiple property purchases until the first is pretty much paid for and there is money in the bank. So I have to play it pretty safe ;)

I have been doing a bit of research and have come across a few options, and I would love some feedback from those with more experience.

Option 1) Mum gets a mortgage for the 350k property, puts the 540k in a high interest savings account (6.5% 540k = 33k p/a + 25k income = 58k p/a) and uses her income to pay the mortgage indefinitely. The main issue here is tax and if interest rates for savings decline.

Option 2) I get a mortgage for 350K property and rent it to Mum and use her payments to pay part of the loan. She puts the 540k in the high savings account for a few years and lives off her other income. I get to claim tax back on interest etc etc. We invest the interest gained in the savings account on paying out the mortgage later, buying addition/better property or whatever.

Option 3) Mum gets a mortgage for the 350k property, puts say 200k in an offset account and $340k in a high interest savings account (6% 340k = 21k p/a + 25k income = 46k p/a) and uses her income to pay the mortgage indefinitely. The interest paid is lowed and she still gets gains on the cash. This can be changed to other amounts in each account, but the general point is the same.

Option 2) I get a mortgage for 350K property and use $? any amount in an offset account and let mum live in the house for free. She puts the remaining $ in the high savings account for a few years and lives off her other income. I get to buy property with minimal to no interest.

So what are the thoughts? Im sure there are issues I haven't thought about and probably better ways of doing this so hit me haha!

Buy the property with a mortgage for $350,000, put $350,000 in the offset account and invest the rest in a savings account. She earns interest on the excess amount and pays no interest to the bank on the mortgage. Done.

I would be inclined to get mum to buy a property for cash to live in. Then get her to purchase a second one with a the rest of her money. If she is comfortable with it.

For the second property she would get a loan with an offset and park spare cash in that.

Make sure your mum, and yourself, set up wills asap. I would talk to your mum about having the option of a testamentary discretionary trust set up in the will so that if you do inherit (remembering you could die first, or she could change her mind!) then you will have the option of taking the property outright or via trust - with all the added benefits.

Hello! I am new to this forum but I have heard it is a good source of info so hopefully I will be able to get some opinions :) Just a disclaimer, we will obviously get professional advice etc etc before actually doing anything with our investments, but I still would like to hear from people who have had personal experience.

So the situation is this:
My widowed mother has sold her house and has $540,000 cash in the bank. She is happy to downgrade to a house in the $350k bracket. In addition she receives around $25k per year from overseas (UK) pensions. Obviously this changes slightly with the exchange rate. I am currently living rent free, and will probably continue to at least in the short term and may work overseas etc so am not currently looking at purchasing property to live in. FWIW I'm 28, earn about $70k, no real debt, own a car outright worth $35k and some various other assets worth about another $40k. In the next 10 years or so we would expect to inherit at least another $300K++ cash which would go into the existing savings account/mortgage/round the world trip etc depending on the circumstances at the time. I'm an only child and will inherit everything eventually but I want mum to have the best lifestyle she can atm (i.e. I'm not planning on hoarding everything for my own benefit lol!)

So my mother isn't very good with money (in that she doesn't like the idea of owing anything to anyone and would rather just pay cash for a house and be done with it, and numbers freak her out) but has said if I can come up with a better plan for the money then go for it. She will not allow any investment in shares/businesses etc (that risk thing..) and is non-negotiable in that. Neither will she allow multiple property purchases until the first is pretty much paid for and there is money in the bank. So I have to play it pretty safe ;)

I have been doing a bit of research and have come across a few options, and I would love some feedback from those with more experience.

Option 1) Mum gets a mortgage for the 350k property, puts the 540k in a high interest savings account (6.5% 540k = 33k p/a + 25k income = 58k p/a) and uses her income to pay the mortgage indefinitely. The main issue here is tax and if interest rates for savings decline.

Option 2) I get a mortgage for 350K property and rent it to Mum and use her payments to pay part of the loan. She puts the 540k in the high savings account for a few years and lives off her other income. I get to claim tax back on interest etc etc. We invest the interest gained in the savings account on paying out the mortgage later, buying addition/better property or whatever.

Option 3) Mum gets a mortgage for the 350k property, puts say 200k in an offset account and $340k in a high interest savings account (6% 340k = 21k p/a + 25k income = 46k p/a) and uses her income to pay the mortgage indefinitely. The interest paid is lowed and she still gets gains on the cash. This can be changed to other amounts in each account, but the general point is the same.

Option 2) I get a mortgage for 350K property and use $? any amount in an offset account and let mum live in the house for free. She puts the remaining $ in the high savings account for a few years and lives off her other income. I get to buy property with minimal to no interest.

So what are the thoughts? Im sure there are issues I haven't thought about and probably better ways of doing this so hit me haha!

Very long post :) and didn't read it in detail (it's very late at night) However, I don't see the point of your mom having a mortgage on a property where she lives (no tax benefits) while at the same time having money on an interest paying account (which is taxed). I think it is better for her to purchase her house outright for $350k as you mentioned and with the other $200K she could purchase another IP at let's say 50% LVR and having the other $100k in an offset account against the IP. In that way she will have some flexibility to access cash in case it is needed while at the same time get some 3% net of yield (like an interest account but, indexing by inflation). When she is not longer you will inherit 2 properties.

I have no idea of your mom other assets, Super, etc. Many more things can be done when having the full pic.

Good luck!

Hi

An important consideration is to see if the options are in fact available

Depending on Mums age and Income, its possible she will not be able to get an IO offset loan at all.................

Before running options, and agonising over what choices to make, you could make a more clear assessment as to the resources that are available

ta
rolf

Even if she isn't able to get a loan I would be happy to apply and either have it in my name or have a joint loan and still have the money in an offset account. Like I said, I will be going to talk to the bank but before I did that I just thought I would see if there were any glaring issues or better ideas before I did.
She is 52 so not heading for aged care any time soon. My assumption is that if/when that happens she will probably move in with one of her 4 sisters and between all of the family (7 cousins) + outside assistance they will be cared for. She also has significant (600k) in life insurance if that makes any difference.

Even if she isn't able to get a loan I would be happy to apply and either have it in my name or have a joint loan and still have the money in an offset account. Like I said, I will be going to talk to the bank but before I did that I just thought I would see if there were any glaring issues or better ideas before I did.

probably not likely that a lender will allow u to be a servicing guarantor, without u having a chunk of the title, no deemed benefit to you.
I would recommend before speaking to "the bank" that you do the homework on the impacts of co borrowing, joint and several liability and all the junk that comes with that.

Do NOT rely on "the bank" to provide advice in this area, becuase they wont know. It would be similar to taking your Benz to the Toyo dealer.........they dnt know what they dont know

ta

rolf

Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear - I wouldn't be guarantor, I would own the property and just put $300k or however much in an offset account so I wouldn't be paying much interest. And she can live in the house, either for free or rented.

"Option 4) I get a mortgage for 350K property and use $? any amount in an offset account and let mum live in the house for free. She puts the remaining $ in the high savings account for a few years and lives off her other income. I get to buy property with minimal to no interest."

Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear - I wouldn't be guarantor, I would own the property and just put $300k or however much in an offset account so I wouldn't be paying much interest. And she can live in the house, either for free or rented.

easy then

ta
rolf

By buying in your name instead of your mum's you are wasting one CGT free asset. If you had one house each you could get 2 CGT free assets - this is valuable.

You would also be tying up someone else's money and complicating things. What if you:
died
divorced
became bankrupt

If I died it would go back to her, or if she wasn't alive to my cousins. I'm not married, and if I was I would organize all my assets so they couldn't be touched. There is not a chance I would go bankrupt, I wouldn't over commit or do something that would make that a possibility.

If I died it would go back to her, or if she wasn't alive to my cousins. I'm not married, and if I was I would organize all my assets so they couldn't be touched. There is not a chance I would go bankrupt, I wouldn't over commit or do something that would make that a possibility.

You cannot be 100% sure that the money would go to her. Even if you made a valid will.

Are you planning on marrying or having a relationship at some stage? How do you organise your assets so they cannot be touched? Even a top barrister failed in this regard.

No one plans on going bankrupt but you never know what the future will bring.

and that's where the testimonial discretionary trust comes to play?

The old testy? Testamentary Discretionary Trust.

Not really. Because a testamentary trust is part of the will and the will can still be challenged by a variety of people.

But the testy will help beneficiaries with asset protection and great tax savings.
If a beneficiary child for example where to later get married and then later divorce the assets of the testy trust could still possibly be at risk but there is more strength in this than owning in your own name. The assets would generally be safe if the children were to go bankrupt though.

Buy the property with a mortgage for $350,000, put $350,000 in the offset account and invest the rest in a savings account. She earns interest on the excess amount and pays no interest to the bank on the mortgage. Done.

Hi Aroon,
Early in April, I asked the tax office about having an offset account on an IP loan. The advice given to me was: that I can not jut get mony in and out of the offset account without affecting mnay tax deductibility. Example:
1.If balance of my IP loan is 100K and balance of my offset accnt is 0, then the full interest for $100 K is deductible.
2. Using the IP loan balance above, and balance of offset accnt is $10K, then the interets deduction is for $90K.
3. But If I pulled out the $10K from the offset accnt, and the IP loan balance goes back to $100K, I have to apportion the interest that I use for IP and for private use (which is interets from the $10K)

I argued long and hard with her, but she said: THAT WAS IT! I thought she may have misunderstood the meaning of off-set account; but she was very clear she understood it perfectly.

Can anyone let me know what the current rule is for offset account on IP loan?

Thanks

Back