Offset only suitable for $45k+ income

Hi all! Just a simple question.. A MB told me an offset account incurrs a higher interest rate on the loan and that therefore it only makes sense to use an offset account if your income is 45k+. Being on $30k at the moment I need to know if this really is true as I have read that generally offset accounts are the way to go.

Cheers,
Brett

What a load of nonsense.

The offset account pays exactly the same rate as the mortgage account and your income has nothing to do with the rate charged.

Possibly what he could mean is that you can negotiate a better rate with a larger loan amount and you could not support that on your income.

If he still tells you that ditch him.

It's my understanding that you pay extra for an offset account. It is after all an extra overhead for the bank to run.

Maybe the MB meant that the effective rate taking into consideration the expense of an offset acct is higher.

If the loan is for a PPR, then I reckon a redraw facility is adequate.

Offsets come in handy when the loan is for an IP and you want to keep the balance uneffected for tax deduction purposes.

WW - It's my understanding that you pay extra for an offset account. It is after all an extra overhead for the bank to run. No this is not the case.

I would be surprised if you could get exactly the same rate on an offset a/c as a plain vanilla P&I one so the MB could be right.

I have an LOC so chose the plainest, cheapest finance I could find for my IP.

I have an offset and dont remember the rate being any higher. Sounds like rubbish (especially if one of the board's MB's is telling you the same thing too).

It's a given that pretty much all the cheaper low-interest lenders can't give you a true offset account (there might be other reasons why you might want to avoid them of course, especially in the current credit-crunch times).

So I think its fair to say that picking a loan product with offset capability means you will generally pay more interest on the loan.

Hi all! Just a simple question.. A MB told me an offset account incurrs a higher interest rate on the loan and that therefore it only makes sense to use an offset account if your income is 45k+. Being on $30k at the moment I need to know if this really is true as I have read that generally offset accounts are the way to go.

Cheers,
Brett

Surely the value of an offset account is in how much extra you put into it. Income by itself may have no relationship with how much you can save and put into the offset. I wouldn't trust a MB who automatically ties savings ability to salary.
Alex

Surely the value of an offset account is in how much extra you put into it. Income by itself may have no relationship with how much you can save and put into the offset. I wouldn't trust a MB who automatically ties savings ability to salary.
Alex

Exactly,
The value of an offset for me is at times there is a considerable amount sitting in the account, and it fluctuates a lot. I know that every last cent in the account is offsetting interest (for me on my PPOR loan). It also means that if you use credit cards for most spending (and pay them off every month) you can get some benefit of the cash sitting in the acount in the mean time.

Regards
Able

Cheers,
Brett

Definitly not true.

Cheers,
Jen

I Have Offset Account With Anz And They Dont Charge And Any Extra, If Your Loan Is Over A Certain Amount You Are Entitled To A Discount Rate Of
.7%.
That Leads To Another Question Are You Better Dealing Directly With Your Bank Or Mortage Broker.
Regards David.

I haven't done the maths but was he saying that earning interest on your money and paying tax on that would leave you better off then reducing your negative gearing on your tax rate. (assuming it is an IP not a home morgage)

I haven't done the maths but was he saying that earning interest on your money and paying tax on that would leave you better off then reducing your negative gearing on your tax rate. (assuming it is an IP not a home morgage)

Ok, doing the maths.....

Salaray income: $30,000 - all income on top of this is taxed at 30%

Savings: $10,000
Assume: Interest rate on IP loan = 7.7%
Savings account rate: 6.5%

1. Put in Online saver instead of offset account
Income from interest = $650
Interest paid on IP loan = $770
Net loss = ($120)
Tax return: $36
Net loss after tax return = ($84)

2. Put into offset account instead of online saver
Income from interest = $0
Interest saved on IP loan = $770 (tax free)
Taxable interest = $0
Net = $0

So you are $84 worse off per $10,000 you put into an online saver over an offset account if your salary is $30,000.

Offset it is! :D

Cheers,
Jen

Tubs You are bang it is rubbish.

Gee, what should we make of this then...........

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Art...dline=Offsetting mortgages will cost you more

Offsetting mortgages will cost you more

Author: AAP
Date: October 6, 2006
Publication: The Age (subscribe)
moneybox.jpg

Australian home buyers beware - mortgage offset accounts are not what they seem and may in fact cost more to run than the potential savings.
A report by financial services research group Cannex found that mortgage holders with a 100 per cent offset account attached to a $250,000 loan needed to have close to $13,000 in their bank account at all times in order for the product to save them money.
However, Cannex found that 63 per cent of the 6,000 offset accounts surveyed in September had a balance of $5,000 or less, while the average account balance stood at only $2,186.
Cannex financial analyst Harry Senlitonga said borrowers were falling into the trap of thinking that offset accounts would save them money without having done their research to understand how.
"People see offset accounts as a way to save money, but don't understand how to use these features to actually save money," he said.
Mortgage offset accounts allow borrowers to reduce the interest on their mortgage by offsetting it with interest earned on the balance of their linked savings account, which earns interest at the same rate as the loan.
However, borrowers are often mislead about how much they will save over the life of their loan, with the banks often providing an example of the same loan with and without using the offset account.
The problem here is that the example does not take into account the average 0.6 percentage points more borrowers pay on their interest rate as part of taking up the offset account option.
For some borrowers who receive offset accounts through packaged loans, this interest rate amount may be lower, effectively reducing the amount of money they need in their account to break even.
Mr Senlitonga said because many people didn't understand how to use their account, only a low proportion of account holders had a sufficient balance for the product to save them money.
He said borrowers would get a better understanding of the pros and cons of an offset account if it were compared to a basic product with a lower interest rate.
Mr Senlitonga suggested that borrowers that were unable to keep the required amount of savings in their bank accounts throughout the life of the loan consider using a redraw facility instead.
Redraw facilities, which are commonly available on lower interest rate loans, allow you to pay extra towards your home loan, reducing the amount on which you pay interest.
However, borrowers are able to redraw the extra funds paid if the need arises.
"For most people it may suit their purpose," Mr Senlitonga said.
SOURCE: AAP

What a load of nonsense.

The offset account pays exactly the same rate as the mortgage account and your income has nothing to do with the rate charged.

Possibly what he could mean is that you can negotiate a better rate with a larger loan amount and you could not support that on your income.

If he still tells you that ditch him.

You really make me smile sometimes with your brutal candor.... (you too tubs)

Onto the great offset debate.

There is an aspect of WW's article that I dont think was covered which was future flexability....

Eg pay your ppr down and then go to rent it out, the debt isnt tax deductable (noting im not your accountant so get your own advice) and then you have to go refinance the debt to a trust or you have a nice add on your taxable income etc etc... whats the cost in that.

There are a lot of true benefits and end of the day a lot of the variable rate loans have a redraw facility and an offset.

That being said some variable rate lenders who have this charge a fee for the redraw where others dont... and same for the priv of having an offset.

The problem here is that the example does not take into account the average 0.6 percentage points more borrowers pay on their interest rate as part of taking up the offset account option.

When I last took out a mortgage there was a difference between the most basic loan and one with the bells and whistles. .6% sounds reasonable so I opted for the cheapest rate which does not allow offset. Why should I? I run an overdraft which is an expensive form of credit so if I have any loose change that's where it should be. :D

If there is any risk of paying extra for the privilege while you have an LOC, don't do it.

I have just checked ANZs rates and their cheapest, published on the net, does not allow offset.

'Tis not the first time I've admitted being as tight as a fish's bum but unnecessary interest is a pet hate of mine.

Back