Oil to hit $100 a barrel

For those wondering why oil and petrol jumped last week here is the best explanation I can see.

From the SMH it appears unless Iran gives up the nuke research we are in for more instabiliity and fear on supply.

Bring on the Hybrids, Peter 147

All eyes on Iran for a fix on oil price
By Brad Foss and George Jahn in Vienna
January 24, 2006

A SURGE in oil prices last week to almost $US70 a barrel due to concerns about the resumption of Iran's nuclear program only hints at what may lie ahead.

Prices could soar past $US100 a barrel, experts say, if the UN Security Council authorises trade sanctions against Iran, which the West accuses of trying to make nuclear bombs, and the country curbs oil exports in retaliation.

A sharp global economic slowdown could follow.

That is the dilemma the United States and European nations face as they decide whether to act. But Iran would also pay a hefty price if the petrodollars that now represent 80 per cent of export revenues are reduced, potentially stirring civil unrest.

Iran, the No.2 oil producer in the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries, exports roughly 2.5 million barrels per day - 1 million barrels more than excess production capacity worldwide. It also controls the Strait of Hormuz, a critical shipping lane in the Middle East.

"Even if Iran pulled a small amount of its oil off the market, say it pulled a half million barrels a day, I could see oil prices literally jumping over the $US100 per barrel mark," said James Bartis, a senior researcher at Rand Corp.

But others say prices would probably not climb much higher than $US75 a barrel before strategic reserves would be released and demand would begin to wane as global economic activity slowed.

So who would be hurt more? The US and other nations say it would be Tehran and argue against succumbing to economic blackmail in any case.

The US Department of Energy estimates that oil exports finance about half of the Iranian Government's budget.

And while high oil prices have boosted the annual growth rate to about 5 per cent, Iran has never really recovered from its 1980-88 war against Iraq and trade restrictions on sensitive technologies.

For weeks Iran's state television has sought to show a people united behind the leadership, showing passers-by on Tehran streets expressing their support for the country's strivings for nuclear independence.

Oil consuming nations, meanwhile, have at least one ace up their sleeves - crude reserves.

The US and other members of the International Energy Agency have a combined 1.48 billion barrels of oil in their emergency stocks.

That's equivalent to about 600 days of Iran's net oil exports of 2.4 million barrels per day.

OPEC might be able to add 1.5 million barrels per day to world production, mostly from Saudi Arabia. Russia is another potential source.

buy a decent sized holding in some oil stocks and this may balance out the increased full bills!!!!

Worked for me so far over the past 12 months - gains paid for more than double cost of fuel increases.

would you see a stock such as BHP being a winner or loser from this scenario?

would a hedge be something like caltex? or more woodside?

Any oil producing company would win if oil hit $100 a barrel.

More importantly, it'll kill off the economy, raise inflation, and cause the Reserve Bank to hike interest rates. Property market would crater. Especially places like Sydney where the prices aren't held up by the yield.
Alex

Scary stuff.

I agree with everything posted and yes i have invested heavily in Oil in the past 18 months and done well.

The overall effect on the Economy would be huge.

Peter 147

Ausprop said:

BHP is a very diversified miner, some of whose oil assetts were damaged in the G of Mexico. Whatever happens to POO will have limited effect on it. Will cause costs to soar in traditional mines too.

CTX is a refiner, not a producer. But refinery capacity is stretched world-wide and they are achieving reasonable margins now.

WPL is a dedicated oiler and stands to gain most from $100 oil but is richly priced.

Expensive oil is a very complex matter and everyone should be doing some reading. The affect will be much more profound than just high costs running your car.

In percentage terms, uranium is rising faster than oil and there will be a supply crisis sooner.

I do not advise as I am unqualified to do so. Please do your own research.

Bill

Ausprop said:

Also consider Gold stocks.

Gold is often a refuge in times of turmoil.

GarryK

Being a Petroleum Engineer, living and working in the oilfield for the past 15 years, currently residing in the Middle East, I seem to get a very different perspective on how Australians view the price of oil. Never in my life have I ever heard it referred to as POO ???

Had dinner the other week with the 4 star General "Aber...something"....the head duck of the US Army over in Iraq. He spoke fluent Arabic, most of which I understood. There was no question in his mind that they are headed into Iran. All of this waffle reported in the papers is simply political semantics, trying to justify their position before they go in.

Iran does not control the Straits of Hormuz. The US Navy has a permanent Carrier group based there, controlling the straits at a cost of USD $ 1 Billion per week. The Iranians have zero control over that bottleneck.

Countries over here are relishing the prospect of higher oil prices, as you would, being on the revenue side of the equation. Australian folk being on the cost side of the equation aren't so enthusiatic.

The small oil company I work for over here has dolled out 3 large pay rises in the last 9 months....there is a lot of money being made, but it's all pretty quiet really, no fanfare, just duly raking in the cash. The increased spend on fuel etc is peanuts in comparison.

The best thing the Aussie Govt could do is relax some of the onerous taxation laws w.r.t. exploration and the PRRT to more fully encourage exploration and production efforts within Australia.

Looking at the lifestyles currently enjoyed by Australians, I don't believe we'll see a drop in demand for the product, so there's no joy on that side of the equation. So it's find more supply, or up goes the price again.

Either way you look at it, the Australian economy will dance to the tune set for it by the much larger and influential economies around the world. Oil as a product very much falls into that category.

Dazzling said:
Being a Petroleum Engineer, living and working in the oilfield for the past 15 years, currently residing in the Middle East, I seem to get a very different perspective on how Australians view the price of oil. Never in my life have I ever heard it referred to as POO ???
Just another TLA, as is POG and POS.

Dazzling I would very much like to hear your thoughts on Peak Oil.

This is an area of great contrasts in opinion but working geo's and engineers seem too busy to add to the debate.

Maybe I worry too much. Who knows?

RichardC said:
Dazzling I would very much like to hear your thoughts on Peak Oil.

This is an area of great contrasts in opinion but working geo's and engineers seem too busy to add to the debate.

Maybe I worry too much. Who knows?

Dazzling has previously spoken on this and stated that the Saudi have lots in the ground so he is peak oil long I assume.

However the short term is getting it out of the ground and the time that takes versus growing supply.

Am I right Dazzling?

Peter 147

Hello Peter / Richard,

Yes I have spoken about it before. Have a detailed search on Peak Oil, there is a thread where I go through the reserve calculation for only one field in Saudi Arabia which can sustain current world demand for the next 68 years alone. That is of course ignoring all other fields in the K.S.A. and all other fields in all other countries, which add considerably to the pool of supply. The boys in Kuwait / Iran / Iraq / Russia / US / Mexico / Venezuala and a few other biggies would laugh at the suggestion that we are running out of oil.

We heard that theory first in 1905, then 1925, then 1945, then '65, then '75. Each time the prediction would be that we'd run out about 25 years after the prediction was made. Each time the prediction was proved to be false, and each time the reserves discovered were more than what was being produced, hence the known pool of crude was getting larger.

I've got another 30 years left before I retire from the oil patch. I am not in the slightest bit fearful of my job prospects in that time frame.

To conclude, I do not support the theories going around that the world supply shall come to an end in 5 or so years.

Geopolitical forces and serious alternative forms of energy shall be the things that dictate the demise of crude oil and the supply of that product, rather than the lack of supply.

Hey Dazzling

If we are not running out of Oil as those Countries state then I amd interested in your opinion why Oil jumped from $35 a barrel to the present $65.

What changed over the last 2-3 years. And could it all change back?

Peter 147

Hiya Peter

Current pricing has more to do with current and IMMEDIATE future PERCEIVED supply, than actual.

Scare mongering and in some cases an actual production shortgage contribute to where we are today. AS the price rises the available resource also rises, perhaps linearly..

PS.......... This is My geologist HAT talking, not my broker one :O)

Financial forces and supply and demand otherwise will ensure that we will not run ut of energy at "reasonable" cost in my life time.

ta
rolf

Supply

My understanding is that there is a bottle neck with refineries, and shipping capacity, not being able to keep up with the demand.
Alot of the refineries aren't set up to process the heavy crude that Saudies have.

It was on the front page of the local Saudi papers a couple of days ago about the kings visit to India. He has guaranteed the supply of oil to India to meet their energy requirements. Funnily enough his next visit was to China where I reckon he will be having the same discussion.
So where does this leave the Americans and their thirst for oil.

Has anyone else noticed how alot of the big oil companies are now running advertising on tv, talking about alternatives to oil. I can't remember which company is running the lastest one I saw, it went along the lines of "For every 3 barrels of oil used only 1 barrel is discovered. Is this something to be worried about."
And it just left it at that with the open question. I think it is something to be worried about. The way I look at it, is its a classic case of conditioning the general public with a little information so that they can then release some bad news later on and everyone won't be so shocked. Just like the americans did with the lead up to the second gulf war.

The President of OPEC just recently came out and said that he thinks the world economy can handle $60 a barrel. So I can't see any let up for the current oil bull market.

Hi All

I have an article from Oil & Gas Gazette which is an industry magazine where a world expert talks re Peak Oil

I will try to post but it is long and not electronic.

Essentially he belives Peak Oil (they point demand exceeds supply) is 2010 give or take a few years and absolutely by 2020. So as early as 2008!:eek:

He is very skeptical re the actual oil in Saudi Arabia and puts some fascinating figures on growth in demand.

Re the comment Heavy Crude he mentions what is know as "sour" oil as opposed to "sweet." Sour is high in sulphur.
And yes most refineries cannot deal with it but the Chinese are building them to service agreements with Iran.

Again, I will try to post in it entirity but very interesting stuff.

Peter 147

Alexlee,
interesting,and now that the Saudies will help supply China in a large way,
it does make you think.
good luck
willair

Back