One billion dollars worth of property. Could it be you?

In talks to similarly minded (property wise) friends, one thing I often mention is property prices from 30 years ago.

Along the lines, Perth house costs were about $15,000 about 30 years ago. What if they'd bought a few places then? The properties would now be each worth around $200,000 - the approx current median house price.

That leads straight into, well, what about in another 30 years? What are they going to do now so that in 2033 they can look back and say that houses in 2003 were only $200,000 and we bought a few. By then, house prices might be $3,000,000.

So I just threw some numbers in a spreadsheet - see attached.

For the exercise, have assumed 10% annual capital growth. Starting point at $1,000,000 portfolio value, $500,000 equity and hence LVR 50%.

The calculations assume additional property investment every year sticking to the modest (?) overall LVR of 50%. Borrowings of 106% for new purchases.

In 30 years, the portfolio value has grown to a staggering 180 million. The next year equity exceeds 100 million dollars! Within a further 10 years the portfolio value exceeds one billion dollars. Debt is of course half that value!

The power of compounding.

Are there are some browsing the forum in 2003 who will one day have a billion dollars of property? Could it be you?

Attachments

• the first billion.xls
    21.5 KB · Views: 167
Originally posted by perky29
Hi,
Michael Yardney would enjoy this post...the power of compounding!!!
So true, bring on the next 40 years....

You are right Perky.

I remember the first property I bought about 30 years ago and it cost me $18,000 at auction. Today the property is worth around $450- $500,000.

My big mistake was to sell it. :mad:

I also bought another property in Caulfielld almost 30 years ago that I sold when I needed some funds for a new family home. I sold it about 20years ago for less than $20,000 and I remember after paying off my mortage etc I only had a few thousand dollars out of the deal, but that seemed a lot of money in those days (and it was).

I bought back the same property a few years ago and have since built 2 great townhouses on the block.

What did I buy it back for - Over $350,000

Of course I have learned a lot about property since then. Especially the power of compounding and don't sell your properties.

Michael,

I understand that buy selling, you missed all of that potential capital gain, but I'm also wondering what doors were opened to you buy selling? I know of instances where by selling a well performing property, people were able to obtain other properties which have performed even better.

Originally posted by Pete

The power of compounding.

Pete,

Nice spreadsheet.. always pays to factor inflation in as well.. I've assumed an Inflation rate of 6% and added two additional columns showing the actual value of your equity in "Todays Dollars"..

Still an impressive result.. but not Billionaire Territory.

Updated spreadsheet attached.

Chees, Duncan.

Attachments

• with inflation.xls
    24 KB · Views: 172
Back