Optus broadband slow. Anyone else have problems?

When playing an online PS3 game on Friday I was automatically booted out. Connection all of a sudden was too slow for the game. Anything to do with the internet has been slow ever since - normal websites, youtube, online streaming, etc.

I'm with Optus broadband. Brisbane. Anyone else have the same issues?

Speed test came in at:
Download: 168 kbps
Upload: 267 kbps

Any ideas to try and fix the problem or rule things out.

Thanks mr Barton. Totally forgot about my download limit. Looks like I've been throttled :(

You're welcome.

Are you out of plan?

~ a year ago I was having problems being throttled and was out of plan. Signed onto a new plan at the same price but with download going from something like 80g pm to 200g pm. Even if you're not out of plan you can usually 'upgrade' the plan, just not downgrade it. They can switch you back to normal speed within a couple of hours if you change plans.

If it's not a one off excess usage give Optus a call and see what they can do.

data limits ?
just another way to scrape $$

our plans elsewhere give 1GBs[sup]-1[/sup]
transfer's limited by the router, we max out the router, 16 connections, and have reached 10 of the 14 speed lights on the modem
average use around 100GBday[sup]-1[/sup]
$49 /month

Aus 3Mbs[sup]-1[/sup], bloody expensive per Byte

B= 8b

Thanks mr Barton. Totally forgot about my download limit. Looks like I've been throttled :(

Happened to me a few years back: installed a TV card in my PC to be able to record programmes. Also have Carbonite online backup installed. Didn't foresee what happened next: recorded a TV programme or two and Carbonite kindly backed them up - enough GBs to take me over the limit. When I phoned Optus the policy was explained to me: exceed your monthly limit (then 20GB) then the next 2GB is charged at 10c per MB ($200!) then you're dropped to dial-up speed for the rest of the billing period.

I will say that the Optus call centre person was intelligent and sympathetic when I explained what had happened and she could see from my usage history that my story was credible. I said that as I was out of contract perhaps the best thing for me to do was to cancel and swap to someone else with more generous data limits. She might have said OK, but a contract is a contract and taken the $200. Instead, very sensibly, she said that if I was prepared to agree to a new 6-month contract she'd cancel the $200 and reinstate the full ADSL immediately, which is what happened. And as a result they kept my business for a good few years after - only switched to Spirit a few months back because they're offering fibre in my building.

100GB a say... On what?
how to use 100GBday[sup]-1[/sup]
streaming video 24 hours
a 1080p or 4k hidef video is 25GB, Aus does not even have those as video quality options on netflix, the speeds won't support it
music
video chat
fast game access
voice over ip phones
host several websites
host a proxy server

our home service is shared between the five units, ours and each kid's,
a modem and switch in the basement,
and five wifi networks for each apartment.

If you have bandwidth, you find something to use it with,
if you have unlimited bandwidth, you find a lot of things to use it with

Back