OS investment structures

G'day all you helpful people,

I'm thinking of investing in a British based derivatives fund run by MAN investments, from Japan. It's a growth fund ... no income, with a 10 yr maturity.

I have an Oz family trust for IP but I know that that is not the best place to put cash / trading type investments. If it was in Oz then I guess a hybrid trust might be the go, but it isn't.

Would an os trust be best ?
If so, from which country ?
Any ideas or experiences ?

Patosan,

It depends on what your goals are for your money. Give us a broader picture of what you are trying to achieve & the advice will be better targetted.

You may wish to check out www.navrainvest.com.au - a different kind of fund :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

G'day Aceyducey,

Well my cash is earned and held in yen ... in Japan.
Now is not such a good time to be sending money to Oz due to the recent stregth of the Oz dollar ... due to interest rates.

Regarding Steve Navra's fund I feel a bit out of step with most of the forum, since everyone is falling over themslves to get into it. Posting results after merely a few days is just one sign of over enthusiasm ... excitement. I can't find anywhere any reason that his fund is different from the myriad of others that use the top listed Co as there stable. I'm guesing there should be something special there ... so please tell me what it is.

If a structure can provide a minimum of tax due when I pull the funds from the British fund ... hopefully reaping a nice gain ... then I may be tempted to put a lot more there ... for the moment perhaps just AUD 30k. this should be for our kids education ... they are now just 4 mth and 3 yr old.

Patosan,

I'm probably not the best person to explain it.

In a nutshell, Steve Navra's system has delivered excellent returns over a number of years used outside the fund. It's hard to understand how good without speaking direct to him or going to one of his seminars.

Second the fund is structured so that fees are only payable if the fund outperformes the ASX200. Totally incentive-based, so 'keeps the bastards honest' so to speak.

I can understand that the fund doesn't necessarily look exceptional if you haven't had personal experience with Steve & his share trading philosophy & systems, really it's hard to give you a case without going into heaps of depth.

You could search the forum for Steve Navra's posts however...he's explained a lot of his approach elsewhere.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi Patosan,
if you are looking at an o/s trust, it would be worth researching a trust based in NZ. I have been shown some advantages for non-Oz residents, though Dale G-G doesn't think they would apply in Oz.
I think there are features such as no tax payable on income earned outside NZ, no CGT, etc
There is info. available from legal beagles' websites, and you can download their outlines. Try a search for 'asiaciti' - I am not sure of the URL - and widen your search from there.
This is NOT a recommendation!!! You asked for ideas :)
Terry

Hi Patosan

Was in Japan a month or so ago and loved it.....can't wait to get back!!!

Regarding OS trusts, Mike posted something in the Accounting & Tax forum about NZ being used as a tax haven for OS trusts.

Here is the link...

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9025

The last paragraph of that post is probably the most useful for what you are trying to achieve.

Don't know if that will be of any use to you but worth a look.

Cheers

Paul

Back